Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/18/2007, 07:47 PM
Registered Member

HELP - Quick Fish Dying

I added a new Gold-Rim Tang to my tank on Sat and he has been fine until the last hour. He had been at the LFS for over a month and looked really healthy when I brought him homw.

Now he is barely swimming and upside down and is not responding to any stimulation. I pulled him out and placed him in QT. I have five other fish in my 240 and they are acting normal and they have been in the tank over 6 months. Any suggestions on what I might due to help him recover. Thanks.
Old 06/18/2007, 08:25 PM
Registered Member

Never Mind - he passed on 5 min. ago. But any tips for the future would be well accepted.
Old 06/19/2007, 10:58 AM
Registered Member

You probably did not acclimate properly.

Im assuming that you know what your doing as far as water quality is concerned and that all parameters are normal (as in the tank is not cycling).

Acclimation is key many times in survival.
Old 06/19/2007, 12:42 PM
Registered Member

I agree acclimation is very important. What acclimation method do you use? I personally prefer drip acclimation as I feel it is the most gradual and least stressful. To each their own however...

I hate to ring this bell but I must point out that a QT could have been invaluable in this situation. Not only would it have allowed you to closely monitor your new additions condition and therefore take preventative or proactive measures but you would also avoid introducing parasites (etc) into your main system and endangering your current inhabitants. I'm sure you're familiar with this so sorry if I am beating a dead horse - but I do believe it's important. However I don't want this to turn into a QT vs don't QT thread, it is merely my suggestion as you asked for future reference.

Sorry for your loss.
-Wesley