Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/15/2007, 08:10 PM
Premium Member

I used to use ozone years ago. I remember how everyone talked about ORP continuously and the debates about what value was best. I fussed with probes, controllers and air dryers. To tell you the truth, I never noticed anything benificial with its use in my tank. I stopped using it.
I started looking into it again just recently as I thought maybe it could help me with a cyano problem. My thoughts were that maybe the ozone could lower the organics in the water better than my skimmer and chemical filtration could alone. However
after reading Randys articles on the subject I can see that this is probably not the case. It cleared up some yellowing of his water but thats about it. I know ozone is proven benificial in large commercial applications, but does anyone have any evidence that shows its worth in our aquariums?
Old 06/16/2007, 01:01 AM
Team RC Member

Yes, I do , but you seem to have already made up your mind.
Old 06/16/2007, 02:07 AM
Premium Member

Many people claimed Zeovit don't work but some have very good result. That is one of the reason why i don't want to do anything iffy
Old 06/16/2007, 06:44 AM
Registered Member

I have started using a Beyok ozonizer (200mg) a few days ago.
http://www.beyok.com/english/Product_Show.asp?ID=2
Using a Weipro 2310 (ORP+PH) controller.

It's amazing, After 1 day (Started from 270 ORP to 300 ORP) the water are so clear, the Corals has never looked better.

I connected it to stright to my AquaMedic Trubo1000 Skimmer, although I know some people that just use it with the AirStone it comes with and put it into their sump.
AMAZING tool !
Old 06/16/2007, 10:37 AM
Premium Member

I think every piece of equipments out there works and may work very well. Just depend on how you use it
Old 06/16/2007, 06:27 PM
Premium Member

Common Billybeau1, convince me.
Old 06/16/2007, 11:58 PM
Team RC Member

If you search ozone threads, I think you'll find most new users are absolutely thrilled with the results. The equipment has gotten cheaper over the last few years and more and more reefers are using it.
Old 06/17/2007, 01:44 AM
Premium Member

This guy just start Ozone couple months ago. His tank is thriving with crazy color

Here is the link to his website, since you want proof. Here ya go
http://www.reeftecdesigns.com/
Old 06/17/2007, 12:15 PM
Older Than the Cretaceous

[b]Do i have to recharge the air dryer every once in a while? [b/]

Yes. You can get some color indicator beads. Once they turn color you just put all the media in the oven and bake it till the color beads are back to normal and the media is thus recharged. You can do this 2-3 times then can it and add new stuff.

An explosion can be defined as a loud noise, accompanied by the sudden going away of things, from a place where they use to be.
Old 06/17/2007, 02:27 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by REEFER714
This guy just start Ozone couple months ago. His tank is thriving with crazy color

Here is the link to his website, since you want proof. Here ya go
http://www.reeftecdesigns.com/
Steve WRONG I have been using ozone for years not months ,and like I already told you ozone has nothing to do with why my corals colors pop .... like I said my orp always is above 410 so my ozone doesnt even turn on unless I do a large water change ............... I contribute that to my sterlizer ...which I feel kicks butt over the ozone.... with or without a sterlizer and ozone you can acheve the same colors. 1 word my friend patience ......... and love your corals
Old 06/17/2007, 02:30 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Boomer
[B]Do i have to recharge the air dryer every once in a while? [b/]

Yes. You can get some color indicator beads. Once they turn color you just put all the media in the oven and bake it till the color beads are back to normal and the media is thus recharged. You can do this 2-3 times then can it and add new stuff.
ozonizers that have to rely on air dryers suck get a ozonizer that dosent rely on a air dryer ,,much less of a pain in the a** I live by the beach so
I hate changeing out those dryers every other day
Old 06/17/2007, 05:58 PM

Sorry but I do not like ozonizer that run on UV bulbs and DO NOT have a dial to set them buy. Yes, I know some use them. In some cases and for some reasons like yours they may be a better choice.

An explosion can be defined as a loud noise, accompanied by the sudden going away of things, from a place where they use to be.
Old 06/17/2007, 06:31 PM
Premium Member

the thing is this ,I have tryed using a dryer and was constantly mantaning the dryer to the point where it wore me out ,I dont know if living close to the beach matters but without using a dryer they say you lose 50 % efficently on some ..with that being said ill keep mine ,it has a hi low switch on it and when ran properly with a proper controller i like it
Old 06/17/2007, 07:17 PM

I understand what you mean. For the same reason some do not even use air dryers even in Corona discharge units, like the Sanders or Ozonetech and just get bigger units to compensate for the humidity. But I don't like doing that for first time users, same with the UV type.

Old 06/17/2007, 11:09 PM
Premium Member

Hello Boomer, i will not run it without the dryer either. I either spend more for the electronic or the media kind. But i will run some kind of dryer. Thank you for the great advice.......
Old 06/18/2007, 09:26 AM

Old 06/19/2007, 01:25 AM
Premium Member

was gonna buy the complete setup this weekend. But the city of westminster just got all my money
Old 06/19/2007, 01:52 AM
Registered Member

I heard that new Ozonizers do not need air dryer.
Old 06/19/2007, 08:53 AM
Premium Member

I'm running the dryer just to stay on the save side. As a matter of fact, i will use 2x250 hahahaha.
Old 06/19/2007, 09:06 AM
Registered Member

Nice cube you got there REEFER714
Old 06/19/2007, 09:46 AM

I heard that new Ozonizers do not need air dryer.

Only UV bulb ozonizers do not need an air dryer.

Old 06/19/2007, 10:40 AM
Registered Member

I have a Ozotech 200mg and works great with my PM Venturi style skimmer. The light penetration and clarity was the most noticable improvments I seen.

It also does not run that much once it cleans up the place it seems, I also got a air flow meter and DI Dryer (I would get the electronic dryer if you can) that makes tunning the skimmer very easy.

Nice results so far.......

P.S. I ran the unit without the dryer and it worked fine for a while, but Ozotech told me it could create some unwanted toxins on the corona if to much moister got to it so I planned on getting some dryer latter on.
Old 06/19/2007, 11:08 AM

unwanted toxins

Yes, Nitric acid

Old 06/19/2007, 11:36 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by menta
Nice cube you got there REEFER714
Thanks Menta. I try to make it better.

Boomer, thanks for the great info.... I have learn a lot from this post.
Old 06/19/2007, 11:41 AM