Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/13/2007, 10:36 PM
Registered Member

Which Tang/Angel is Tough against ICH and which are not?

Well I just lost the war with ich. Ich took down my hippo. I read around and found that the hippo tang seems to be a ich magnent so I was wondering if anyone can make a list to show which tangs are more potent to getting ich and which ones are tough and can handle ich. I would also like some info on some dwarf angels. I was thinking of getting a yellow tang and a rusty angel. thanks appreciate the feed bad
Old 06/13/2007, 11:48 PM
Get Your War On!!

Yellows, sailfins, nasos, koles, scopas, gold-rims, convicts, and purples can kick it pretty easily with just a little help, orange shoulders are troopers too...achilies, hippos, and powder blues you better go all out...atlantic blues, and powder browns are either/or. Don't have any experience with sohals/clowns etc...

Oh Lord...I'm not ready for this sort of thing.
Old 06/14/2007, 12:40 AM
Registered Member

Can Handle ICH
Yellow
Sailfin
Purple
Scopas

Naso's? arent they like hippo tangs
Gold rim kind of reminds me of powder brown can it really handle ich
Koles How well can they handle ich, I havent had one

Ok I will stay away from
Hippos
Achilies
Powder Blue/brown

Is a yellow tang compatable with a naso and I would like more information on koles and if possible some info on bristle tooth tangs.

Any suggestions on dwarf angels?

Thanks
Old 06/14/2007, 02:40 AM
Registered Member

First, hippos are definitely an ich magnet, but unlike the achilles and powder blue--in my experience (always had at least 1, and never lost any to ich) they are reslilient at rebounding given the right kindd of care. I had a hippo I got when it was between a quater and half-dollar (coins) in size in my then 25 gal reef. It grew. I wasn't able to upgrade as fast as it grew so I put a lot of powerheads in the tank. Problem solved. It would swim in the frontal current ALL DAY LONG, and on a few occasions, I forgot to turn it back on after cleaning, etc... well, it usually thumped the glass with its tail/back end of body until I turned it back on, but sometimes I wasn't around to hear him. He got ich bad about 5-6 times in as many years (never got ich in my 75 though), 2 of those times I was VERY AFRAID I would lose him--completely covered, eyes and all.... I did 2 things: maintained even temps at ALL costs, including adding evap-off water a few times per day instead of all at once; and I garlic-elixired (by ecosystems) ALL FOOD. I coated his ther a+ pellets, madking a few days worth at a time and letting the pellets dry before feeding, I coated his seaweed and let it dry, again several days worth, and any frozen food was thawed only in garlic elixir. I reduced amounts to very small portions and fed every couple of hours when possible, including seaweed present at all times. This worked every time. It has also worked for many customers I have recommended the same to (I work in a lfs). This has not been able to salvage several powder blues however, and my boss refuses to regularily stock achilles--they remind him of death as so few survive in typical tanks.

As for mixing the yellow and naso--should be fine. GENERALLY, with tangs, it's all about room to swim and body shape. yellow's and naso/hippo/powder browns would all probably be ok.

As for dwarfs, how many do you want to have? There are real variations in aggression towards other dwarf angels. For example, the very cute and very small pygmy and flameback angels are BEASTS towards other dwarfs. If you want them, add them last. Lemonpeel and Potter's can also be a bit aggressive. Coral Beauty and Flames are probably most even tempered and very hardy. Lemonpeel is highly prone to popeye and not as hardy. Which angels are you interested in?

You and I have similar tastes. I am a tang and angel lover. Have built my system around the long term needs of the Golden Angel and Achilles Tang.

"Well behaved women never get any respect" -- Benazir Bhutto
Old 06/14/2007, 02:50 AM
Registered Member

some hardy dwarf angels are coral beauties, eibl's , flames, keyholes and halfblack's
Old 06/14/2007, 03:01 AM
Registered Member

Yes, the eiblii's are great fish too! I wish I could've kept mine--got rid of my dwarfs when I moved into the 75 so I could into the Golden irst and give it time to settle in. Had my Eiblii for 3 years

"Well behaved women never get any respect" -- Benazir Bhutto
Old 06/14/2007, 10:23 AM
Sorry, I'm not Jeremy

ANY fish can get ich. Some fish are more susceptible to getting ich such as the Hippo Tang and any of the Ancanthurus Tangs. Any fish can die from ich if it is not treated.. If you want to be successful at keeping fish long term, set up a quarantine and place all new fish in it for 4 weeks. Ich is not the only disease/parasite that marine fish can carry..
Velvet-kills fast, can wipe out a tank full of fish in days!
Brooklynella-ditto!
Flukes
Vibro
To name a few...best to keep your main tank disease free by qt, any fish can introduce a disease
Old 06/14/2007, 09:34 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the tips,but I know that every fish gets ich. What I am curious about is which tang/dwarf angel is a ich magnet, which can get easily attacked by ich and which tangs/dwarf angels are pretty tough and can handle ich.
EX-Yellow tang VS Hippo Tang
If possible can someone list a order list of which tang is the toughest at handling ich to the ich magnet tangs.
Oh is the Rusty Angelfish(Centropyge ferrugatus) a tough fish at handling ich? lets see which fishes are the hardiest.

Thanks Appreciate the feed back
Old 06/14/2007, 09:48 PM
Sorry, I'm not Jeremy

Well...I pretty much named the 'ich magnets'
How a fish handles ich depends on the initial health of the fish. A fish that has been newly caught and shipped and that has possible not eaten in awhile will not handle ich as well as a well fed, healthy fish..But ich can kill a well feed healthy fish too so I don't really understand your wanting a this list?
If your fish gets ich, it will need to be treated no matter what kind it is
Old 06/14/2007, 10:08 PM
Registered Member

I see but I would still appreciate some people who have gone through some tangs and would be kindly enough to share some info on how the do. I know that every fish gets ich, ich is unavoidable and needs to be treated. But I am focusing on which tang is tough enough to fight it off. I had yellow tangs in the past and a purple tang that nearly died to ich but pulled through near the end. I read around and found that zebrasoma family tangs are tough in these situations but I would like to know more on which tangs are tough. Thanks
Old 06/14/2007, 10:09 PM
Registered Member

you should get a queen angel they look really nice small and even better when they get bigger
Old 06/14/2007, 10:13 PM
Registered Member

a Queen Angel hmm arent thoes super big which require like 100g+? Yeah they are nice any suggestions on dwarf angels.
Old 06/15/2007, 09:55 AM
Premium Member

I would say that many of the tangs being discussed require a tank of about that size as well, especially if you want more than one. You could have a smaller zebrasoma tang (stay away from the Sailfin) and a bristletooth like a Kole or something in a tank a bit smaller than 100G..but not a LOT smaller. What size tank are we talking about? Keep in mind, the less territory they have, the more stressed, which means more susceptible to ich.

As far as a prioritized list, if ich is your main concern then stay away from any of the Acanthurus (or Paracanthurus) tangs as has already been stated (e.g. Powder anything, Achilles, etc). Now, some of them may in fact not be ich magnets...Atlantic blue maybe? But most of them get decently big and like to swim, so I wouldn't be putting them into a smaller tank. Ditto on the Naso...they seem hardy and all, but they get huge.

jds

Quote:
Originally posted by happyface888
a Queen Angel hmm arent thoes super big which require like 100g+? Yeah they are nice any suggestions on dwarf angels.
Old 06/17/2007, 01:28 AM
Registered Member

Dwarf Angels Im thinking of getting a rusty angel, whats the price for a flame now a days? And how are flame angels?
Old 07/02/2007, 10:20 PM
Registered Member

Hi
Heres a sight dedicated to the dwarf angels

http://www.centropyge.net/
Old 07/02/2007, 10:33 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bureau13
I would say that many of the tangs being discussed require a tank of about that size as well, especially if you want more than one. You could have a smaller zebrasoma tang (stay away from the Sailfin) and a bristletooth like a Kole or something in a tank a bit smaller than 100G..but not a LOT smaller. What size tank are we talking about? Keep in mind, the less territory they have, the more stressed, which means more susceptible to ich.

As far as a prioritized list, if ich is your main concern then stay away from any of the Acanthurus (or Paracanthurus) tangs as has already been stated (e.g. Powder anything, Achilles, etc). Now, some of them may in fact not be ich magnets...Atlantic blue maybe? But most of them get decently big and like to swim, so I wouldn't be putting them into a smaller tank. Ditto on the Naso...they seem hardy and all, but they get huge.

jds
Hi Burea13:

Your picture brings back memory. I think yours is a blue-strip angel. C. septentrionalis

I bought one, a small one, when I was in Hong Kong about 7-8 years ago. I lost it to a sheer accident of equipment failure. I was almost depressed. I had never seen one in the USA at that time.

Where did you get yours? Are you in the US? Are they recently more popular in the US? What are they called?