Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/13/2007, 02:10 PM
This statement is false.

I have two urchins in my reef - one (tuxedo) permanently on the back glass pane eating away at the coraline, the other in the rockwork.

It is like one painter on on of your huge bridges. It could take that guy 7 years to paint the bridge. By the time he is done he needs to start again. Same with my urchin - once he has done the one half of the back panel and moves over to the other side, the coraline just grows back.
Old 06/13/2007, 02:19 PM
Registered Member

just do a big water change and redo it while the water is low. it is a very tedious process since corals are attached and its frustrating when u try to put back a rock b/c it has to basically go the same way u had it so u dont squish corals if you change the position of the rock. it can be done though.
Old 06/13/2007, 03:53 PM
Registered Member

another home mom here! I move my rocks around ALL THE TIME!!! it's lighter than the furniture! If there is another reefer in your area that wants to start the growth of coraline in their tank, you could always scrape yours and then siphon it out and give it away...it really gives new tanks a boost.
Old 06/13/2007, 08:59 PM
Premium Member

Wow, we've got a ton of stay at home mom reefers!

Kat, you're right about it being lighter than the furniture! Do you ever just stand back from your tank and love what you see?
Old 06/14/2007, 12:33 AM
Registered Member

Let's hear it for the mommy reefers. My kids are older now (7 and 9) but now my daughter has the bug. She wants a clown tank for her room. I think that will be my next project. Anyways look into getting an urchin, corraline is like crack to them. Play around with your rock to get the look you like. I use pvc as a base in my larger tank. In my nanos I just stack it and I have changed it up a couple of times.
Old 06/14/2007, 01:00 AM
Registered Member

I've done two complete re-works in my 55 gallon. I agree with what everyone else has said here, it is an all day affair. The last time I re-scaped, it took me about 9 hours total. It was a lot fof work, but I was pretty happy with the results. It can get kinda messy, you'll stir up a lot of "junk" in your tank. But overall, I thought it was for the best. I had my canister filter working overtime on it and I think it really benefitted the tank in the long run. Not to mention I was able to pull all the rocks off the back of the tank to create more flow all the way around....
Good luck, whatever you decide!!!!