Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/12/2007, 08:21 PM
Registered Member

Which is a safer purchase?

All other things being equal, which is a safer way to purchase livestock from an illness and stress perspective:

A. local fish store tank (unknown duration in store)
B. local fish store shipment, but purchased directly out of shipment box (never enters LFS tanks)
C. online retailer shipped overnight

I realize that QT would take care a of a great deal of the "illness" kinds of things, but in theory, if you start out better, you can only end up better.

Would you change your answer depending on the kind of livestock (i.e. inverts, fish, corals)?

So, what do you think?

29 g FOWLR
35# LR, 40# LS
3 green chromis
2 ocellaris clowns
and various snails and hermits
Old 06/12/2007, 08:28 PM
Registered Member

I choose C because you usually get a guarantee.
Old 06/12/2007, 08:33 PM
Premium Member

Does your local fish store not know how long their fish have been in their tanks? All mine have the date the livestock was added. I always buy livestock locally. Being able to see livestock firsthand is invaluable.

"You cannot achieve what you are not willing to pursue."
Old 06/12/2007, 08:35 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kfowler
Does your local fish store not know how long their fish have been in their tanks?
They do. This is just a hypothetical... would the duration in the tank change your answer?

29 g FOWLR
35# LR, 40# LS
3 green chromis
2 ocellaris clowns
Old 06/12/2007, 09:14 PM
Registered Member

^^

29 g FOWLR
35# LR, 40# LS
3 green chromis
2 ocellaris clowns
Old 06/12/2007, 09:28 PM
4 8 15 16 23 42

Go to a LFS that doesn't suck and has had the fish in their possession for a week.
Old 06/12/2007, 11:00 PM
Flowalicious

C
Old 06/12/2007, 11:12 PM
Registered Member

Depends on the LFS, where they get there livestock, and where you might choose to order from.
Old 06/12/2007, 11:15 PM
Registered Member

I used to have a great LFS by me and I would rather purchase livestock from them then from anywhere in the world. Since I moved, I pick C, although i usually try to support my local LFS's, but the price difference is extreme. I.E. a MJ locally is $50, but I can get it online for $20. YOu get the picture.
HIS OPINIONS COURAGEOUSLY AND HONESTLY
Old 06/12/2007, 11:26 PM
Moved On

I ussually buy locally. I like being able to see the fish before i actually buy it. And i ussually wait a couple days before i buy just to see if it is good condition when i come back unless i know it is somthing that will sell fast.
Old 06/13/2007, 08:09 AM
Registered Member

I usually buy locally... knowing how long a fish has been in a tank at the LFS is crucial. Longer the better IMO...
I have purchased online in the past, I've had luck with snails, hermits, shrimp, and various corals... but when it comes to fish I've had some complications with online orders.
Old 06/13/2007, 08:34 AM
Where the future begins!

I generally have gotten all my fish the day that they have come into the LFS. All, except 2, have never even hit LFS water. My LFS doesn't have a guarantee, but have always replaced anything that I have gotten that died (such as the male to my Onyx clown pair a couple of weeks ago).

It pays to know the people that own your LFS because you can usually get pretty good deals.
Do evil in return."

“Those things that nature denied to human sight, she revealed to the eyes of the soul.”
Old 06/13/2007, 10:40 AM
Premium Member

Had the LFS that opened near me last fall not have opened, I would of picked C. I really like the store and have gotten to be friends with the owners. Their prices are very fair compared to online, in fact most fish are the same price as online but minus the shipping charge. Dry goods are a little more costly than online but not to much once you factor in shipping. They don't have a guarantee but like JokerGirl, they've replace the couple of fish that have died within a few days of me buying them.
Old 06/13/2007, 11:37 AM
My Life for Aiur!

B for me. But, None of the above if you don't QT yourself. QTing isn't a joke or an option really.
Old 06/13/2007, 11:39 AM
My reef is my fix :-D

Without knowing the quality of your LFS, I'd say C. Especially something like the Diver's Den section in LiveAquaria.

hth

Click my red house to see my tank :-)
Old 06/13/2007, 12:30 PM
Registered Member

i buy locally as i am in the caribean every so often a few of us make a large order to a wholesaler, but i prefer looking at what i am buying, that way i can see the behaivior etc of the candidate and decide on my own...
Old 06/13/2007, 03:47 PM
Registered Member

C, buy all my LS from Liveaquaria, had problems with sick fish from LFS.
Bob
Old 06/13/2007, 05:03 PM
Registered Member

I use b and c. B simply because all I have to do is tell them what to order on Mon. or Thurs. and I get it the next day. Just recently picked up nice yellow eye kole tang for 25 bucks out the door. Not bad. A good relationship with the store owner goes a long way and he seems to appreciate having your educated business. I feel that they treat me this way becase I could have just as easily used LA or some other online vendor but they like having good word of mouth. Any smart business person would rather have your business than to let you spend money with the next guy. I also like your online places for corals and clams. Pretty hard to beat some of the packages they put together IMO.
Old 06/13/2007, 06:41 PM
Premium Member

I agree with B & C because I would usually be there the day the shipment comes in to get first pick...I never had a disease break out ever. There were several lfs that I wouldn't buy anything but dry goods from also. Consider your history with your lfs the biggest decision maker.
Old 06/13/2007, 08:20 PM
Registered Member

I've had great luck with LiveAquaria.com and all of my LFS. I just stay away from disease prone fish like clowns and tangs.