Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/11/2007, 08:04 PM
Why do I live in IL?

Got Chips? :P

Here is a shot of my nicely growing chips colony. It started off about 3/4" long frag glued to the rock. You dont normally see this coral with the lime green like this... I love it

BTW, this is a totally unmodified picture save for compression. My white balance sucks on this camera so any difference in color is due to that, but it is pretty close to what it looks like in person... sorry my camera skills/camera suck.

Old 06/11/2007, 08:10 PM
Copperband Butterfly

Nice color to it!
Old 06/11/2007, 08:32 PM

Hey Kurt... Very Nice! ...is that the ORA Chip's or gqjeffs? Didn't he have one very similar but not quite the same?
Old 06/11/2007, 08:39 PM
Premium Member

This is my frag. I believe it is ORA

Old 06/11/2007, 09:21 PM
Why do I live in IL?

Its from GQJeff... Not from ORA though it is similar. ORA dont tend to have that green of polyps from what I have seen, but other than that look very bushy and have the purple tips like ours.
Old 06/11/2007, 09:25 PM
TANK RAIDER!

I have one from TCN and looks like the ORA one.
BTW great colony.
Old 06/12/2007, 08:04 AM
Registered Member

Right now im having some problems with polyp extension on mine, but when mines happy it looks exactly like the origional pic posted, bright green body and long green polyps, and nice blue/purple tips. It was my favorite coral in my tank when it was happy.

I did not know that there were chips from different sellers, but i have the same colors as the top one, and i bought it from a guy who grew it out from an ORA frag.

Cya
Rob
Old 06/12/2007, 08:53 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Horace
Its from GQJeff... Not from ORA though it is similar. ORA dont tend to have that green of polyps from what I have seen, but other than that look very bushy and have the purple tips like ours.
The ORA Chips are green, as are the polyps. My ORA chips looks exactly like yours......
Old 06/12/2007, 09:09 AM
Why do I live in IL?

Quote:
Originally posted by stony_corals
The ORA Chips are green, as are the polyps. My ORA chips looks exactly like yours......
I guess I have just never seen a picture of an ORA one that looks like this one, but I guess I will have to take your word on that. Most ORA chips pictures I have seen have brownish/tan looking polyps, but that could certainly be because of the tank, but even the frags people have posted that just came from ORA even tend to look that way. Either way, they are awesome

Mine FINALLY looks pretty close to the way it did in Jeff's tank...Here is Jeff's old colony (KIA).

Old 06/12/2007, 10:04 AM
Registered Member

I sell ORA frags... I get them straight from ORA. They all look pretty much like yours... except smaller.... Very nice
Old 06/12/2007, 10:46 AM
Why do I live in IL?

Good deal..

Our coral definitely didnt come from ORA, but it very well could be the same or quite similar...Afterall, they all come from the same place
Old 06/12/2007, 11:42 AM
Registered Member

Mine is green just like the last pic with blue tips and for some reason i cant get the tips purple but stunning coral nonetheless.......still a frag though...there are about 8 branches pushing out on it but the color is unreal...i will snap a top down for you tonight Horace. I have kept mine in believe it or not the bottom third with less flow than most acros like.
Old 06/12/2007, 11:46 AM
Why do I live in IL?

Mine is up in the top 1/3 of the tank and nearly directly under the halide. I THINK you may need more PAR to it to get the purple tips to develop. I measured the PAR from my Phoenix 250s at the coral and its getting 500+ PAR. The lower third of my tank is closer to 250-300 which may not be quite enough light to get the tips purple... not sure. Perhaps in the future I will frag it and place another piece lower. Its such an awesome coral I wouldnt mind haveing a couple colonies :P
Old 06/12/2007, 11:48 AM
Registered Member

Wow guys really nice...I had a small frag that I acidentally broke and lose in my rock while I was moving my Turbelle so sad about it .
Old 06/12/2007, 03:23 PM
No Lorenzo in my Benzo

Where r u guys keepin that bad boy? High-Low-Middle?
Old 06/12/2007, 04:14 PM
Why do I live in IL?

Quote:
Originally posted by BLKTANG
Where r u guys keepin that bad boy? High-Low-Middle?
Quote:
Mine is up in the top 1/3 of the tank and nearly directly under the halide. I THINK you may need more PAR to it to get the purple tips to develop. I measured the PAR from my Phoenix 250s at the coral and its getting 500+ PAR.
Old 06/12/2007, 04:36 PM
Registered Member

mine ive had it for about 3 months and it started as a 3/4 inch frag
Old 06/12/2007, 06:40 PM
Registered Member

Old 06/12/2007, 06:45 PM
No Lorenzo in my Benzo

Quote:
Originally posted by Horace
Thankx,ive had mine for about 1 month,& it has colored up Insanely,but it dosent have that crazy PE that it had when i got it.Does this dude like to be blasted with good indirect flow?I got him in the middle of the tank 8" under 2 Phoenix 14k's,but the middle is medium to moderate flow.Should i move him to where my Milii's are?They are getting the full flow reflection off the glass from a Vortec.
Old 06/12/2007, 09:28 PM
Registered Member

here's mine when I got it

after it colored up

crappy top down
Old 06/13/2007, 06:55 AM
Why do I live in IL?

Aztec, that sure is a sweet coral, but it just doesnt look the same to me. Structurally it does, but it seems to have blue/turquoise in it, which mine does not have, and never has. Perhaps it would look different with less light... not sure
Old 06/13/2007, 10:40 AM
Registered Member

aztak, how did you get yours to color up??? I have a peice that wont color up and I have had it for like three months. It is about 10 inches from the 250 mh I have.
Old 06/13/2007, 11:55 AM
Premium Member

Chips is the fancy name for A. horrida, correct? Just curious as I picked up a nice sized colony of horrida and it resembles the ones pictured.
Eat them up, yum!
Old 06/13/2007, 05:39 PM
Registered Member

I got it from a hobbyist who was getting out of the hobby a few years ago and it was pretty much brown. It colored up very fast for me and has held the color for a couple years now. It has kept it's color with people I've traded with that I've kept in touch with and I have about 6 or growing in my frag tank that are holding the color also.
I got a frag of the ORA chips from a friend and I've placed it right next to a frag of this torqoiuse one to just see what happens, so far they look the same except for color, but they are still pretty small
Old 06/13/2007, 10:12 PM
Why do I live in IL?

Yeah, I think there are probably a few diff versions of this acro. Not all of them listed here seem to be growing in the same patern even... mine is growing in a table, much like the mother colony it came from... not all the pictures here are showing table like growth either.