Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Bay Area - Reefers (BAR)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/06/2007, 10:50 PM
AEFW Assasinator

New fish store in SF Chinatown

I was passing through on Broadway between Stockton & Powell and notices a new lfs. I couldn't tell if it was sw or fw. They looked like they were still unpacking as there were a ton of flattened boxes up against the wall in the store.

Anybody know?
Old 06/06/2007, 11:01 PM
Registered Member

I know there is a pet store " pet central?" on broadway between stockton and powell on the north beach side of Broadway. They have dogs , salt water and fresh water and they also have chinese dvds for sale too. That one has been open for about 10 years
Old 06/06/2007, 11:06 PM
Premium Member

The pet central is the one between Stockton and Grant ave. There is another fish store between stockton and powell. Haven't been there for quite a while, and it was freshwater only. Maybe it's converting to saltwater?
Old 06/07/2007, 03:12 AM
Registered Member

Maybe its a new owner.. It was on the right side of the street heading towards the tunnel.. The old owner got busted selling CITES listed fish
Old 06/07/2007, 12:23 PM
Premium Member

Lemme guess, Arawonas?
Old 06/07/2007, 04:52 PM
Registered Member

You mean the one near the police station..?
Old 06/07/2007, 04:53 PM
AEFW Assasinator

Nada.

It's actually on Broadway (between Stockton and Powell) as you're leaving Chinatown.
Old 06/07/2007, 06:29 PM
Registered Member

Nail on the head Gresham... I walked in there a little over a year ago and he had a couple in tanks.. I'm checking them out and he tells me they are "special" australians.. Told me these aren't listed because its under a new sub species.. All I know is I saw five rows of scales and he wanted 2500 for one...

Has anyone checked them out yet? Any SW stuff?
Old 06/08/2007, 11:14 AM
Premium Member

we're talking about new crystal right? so what happened, the goldfish and especially shiny "jardini's" weren't cuttin it ?
Old 06/08/2007, 12:32 PM
Tailspot Blenny

arowanas are illegal to sell? I see them in chinese restaurants all the time? (displays). All About Fish has a GIGANTIC one, though not for sale. Are they only illegal from some areas of the world?
Old 06/08/2007, 04:43 PM
Registered Member

Anything with five rows of scales is illegal.. Which includes all asian arrowanas.. Silvers, Blacks, Leichardti, Jardini and africans are all legal here in the US...
Old 06/08/2007, 05:37 PM
Tailspot Blenny

5 rows of scales... interesting =) So does that mean the "height" of the fish?
Old 06/09/2007, 10:17 PM
Registered Member

Negative. It has to do with particular species. Mainly red arrows and red tailed arrows. These fish are endagered, even though the fish sold on the black market are from hatcheries. Alot of fish stores sell them out of the back door because they command high prices in excess of 2 grand or so. Wanna buy one? Just kidding.

-K
Old 06/09/2007, 11:13 PM
Registered Member

Yep a wild caught one nowadays does not fetch a fraction of a farm bred one.. Many of the colour variations have been aggressively line bred for many generations now.. Some are up as high as f10 or higher.. They will mix match breeders in the ponds all the time so it isn't always possible to tell who bred with who...