Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/07/2007, 05:55 PM
Premium Member

Kalkwasser placement

I am looking into adding a Kalkwasser Reactor. Nielson model. I would like to find out how to add this into my system? What do I need where is at in the system.
Old 06/07/2007, 10:36 PM
Registered Member

It's really fairly simple. You need a freshwater reservoir, a dosing pump to feed the reactor with freshwater and dose the kalkwasser (I use a LitremeterIII), and a switch to control the water level and turn off the dosing pump (I use the simple but very reliable air switch made for the Litremeter pump). There are other ways of setting it up, but I've found this to be the most reliable and stable setup. There have been some good threads on this, so you might try searching a bit.
Old 06/07/2007, 11:01 PM
Premium Member

How do you like the ReefMania Kalk reactor? I was looking at that one or the Aqua Medic Kalk reactor.
Old 06/07/2007, 11:13 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lilchris
How do you like the ReefMania Kalk reactor? I was looking at that one or the Aqua Medic Kalk reactor.
The ReefMania is excellent with great build quality. It's very easy to recharge with kalk. Also, one of its best features is that it uses a Maxijet 600 to stir the kalk. These are inexpensive to replace unlike the magnetic stirrers. Geo also makes a Kalk reactor of similar design. I have a Geo Calcium reactor, and his stuff is also top quality.

Geary
Old 06/07/2007, 11:50 PM
Premium Member

What I am not understanding is, what controls the amount of Limewater that is pumped into the sump.
Old 06/08/2007, 12:05 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
What I am not understanding is, what controls the amount of Limewater that is pumped into the sump.
Okay, with the Litremeter3 dosing pump, there's an air switch. The air switch connects to the pump. The other end of the switch has an open ended tube that you mount vertically in your sump. When the water level in your sump drops, this creates a slight vacuum in the air switch that turns on the pump. The pump then doses the kalk mixture into your sump (You can program the pump to dose different volumes). When the water level rises enough, it changes the air pressure in the switch which turns off the pump. It's a fairly simple system and the Litremeter pumps are well known for reliability. As I said before, there are other ways to do this.
Old 06/08/2007, 12:10 AM
Registered Member

Here's the manual for the Litremeter3. It has a diagram that shows how to set it up and use the air or top off switch.
Old 06/09/2007, 08:07 AM
Premium Member

I want a litermeter. Especially if you can do a water change like that. Can't afford a new one. Do you know of one up for sell. Maybe SOMEONE THAT WANT TO UPGRADE TO A NEW ONE hint hint. Cool thanks for all the info.
Old 06/09/2007, 08:24 AM
Registered Member

Yeah, they're really expensive but do the job and are very well made. You might post something in the "Want to Buy" forum. Great stuff goes up for sale all the time. You just have to get lucky with the timing.

Good luck, Geary
Old 06/09/2007, 09:15 AM
Registered Member

I use a Compat enteral feeding pump that I bought off eBay for $50. The replacement tubes run a few bucks each from a local medical supply place and each lasts about 5 weeks. It maxes out at 295ml per hour and I typically run it at about 275ml per hour to match my evap rate. It takes RO water from a plastic 10g wrapping paper container and runs it through my MRC kalk reactor and then into my sump. If I foolishly forget to refill my RO or if the tube gets worn out, the pump will turn off and beep loudly to let me know. I wouldn't pull directly from a kalk resevoir with this method because the sensor chamber would probably film over quickly and set off the alarm all the time, but for water only it's been working excellently for about a year and a half 24x7. I originally bought it as a short term solution because I didn't want to spend the bucks on a Litermeter at that time, but it works so well that I can't justify replacing it unless it totally fails. This might be a potential solution for you, just figure out what your daily evap rate is in mililiters. Most of the medical ones I've seen top out at 295ml per hour, so if your tank falls under that it could work. The model I have does make a subtle clicking sound as it runs, which may or may not be an issue for you.
Old 06/09/2007, 09:45 PM
Premium Member

Thanks for the info. I would like to know how to figure out my evap rate in milileters though.
Old 06/09/2007, 10:04 PM
Registered Member

It's not too hard to do. What are you using for a top off system on your tank?
Old 06/10/2007, 12:23 AM
Registered Member

oops double post
Old 06/10/2007, 12:24 AM
Registered Member

If you have a controller, could you just use an aqualifter to feed the kalk reactor? I'm looking into this as well but would rather not spend another $300 on a dosing pump.
Old 06/10/2007, 07:30 AM
Premium Member

Digitalimager: I have a DIY auto top off sysytem. It has two switches 1. low level 2. high level. I use a Maxijet 1200 for the pump. That is my auto top off. Oh yeah w/ a 5 gallon reservoir of course w/ RO water.
There is a first edition litermeter for sale for $150. I was thinking of getting that. I don't know though. I am hook on the fact you add another satelite pump and do water changes thats cool.
Old 06/10/2007, 09:16 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Digitalimager: I have a DIY auto top off sysytem. It has two switches 1. low level 2. high level. I use a Maxijet 1200 for the pump. That is my auto top off. Oh yeah w/ a 5 gallon reservoir of course w/ RO water.
There is a first edition litermeter for sale for $150. I was thinking of getting that. I don't know though. I am hook on the fact you add another satelite pump and do water changes thats cool.
Basically, your evaporation rate is just how much water it takes to top off your 5 gallon rerservoir each day. If you have a skimmer, you need to include what you lose there.

As Uhuru posted, you could use an Aqualifter. I did that on a 50 gal. tank several years ago. The only problem I had, was that the kalk mixture tended to clog the tube that dosed the tank. Probably because I had the drip rate set so low. If you put it on a controller, and dosed more at a given time, that would help. However, it's more difficult to get right this way. Much more expensive, but so much easier using the Litremeter w/ the topoff switch.
Old 06/10/2007, 09:29 AM
Premium Member

I have a Geo Nilesen (Kalk) reactor installed on my 90g system. Its tied in with a Tunze Osmolator ATO and it doses the Kalk for me as needed.
Its pretty simple to install and use. The Tunze ATO pump is installed in my Top Off container and when the sump sensors kick it on it will push water into the nielsen reactor. The water exits there and back into my system until water level sensor kicks it back off. Doses small amounts all through the day as needed. The Tunze has a sensor that will kill the pump in case my RO/DI container runs low(no water) or runs over a set # of minutes if another problem would arise. Works great for my needs and kills 2 birds with one stone as they say......ATO and doser.
It may not be as accurate as a Litremeter for constant drip/dosing rates but works for me. Still would like to get a Litremeter down the road for dosing other items as needed......
Old 06/10/2007, 09:47 AM
Premium Member

I was looking into getting that also. (Tunze Osmolator) Just want something that I can get dialed in and leave it, add kalk and top off water every few days.
Old 06/10/2007, 09:52 AM
Premium Member

lilchris,
It works pretty good and also use it on my 29g frag tank. Only difference is on that I use the Tunze calcium dispenser tied into it to hold the kalk water. Good for smaller system but would need more kalk refilling on a larger tank that evaporated lots of water. The Geo nielsen reactor can go weeks on the large tank before refilling.

Had it running on both systems up to 2 yrs and never had a problem with them. You may need a new pump once a yr or so but at under 15.00 its worth it and not too expensive
Old 06/10/2007, 10:12 AM
Premium Member

Thanks, I am having a brainfart w/ this situation. So many different types of setups out there. Don't know what I want to do.
Off the subject alittle bit. I see you have a thing for another expensive hobby RC Cars. I am also into that. I haven't messed w/it lately due to my new hobby reef tanks.
Old 06/10/2007, 01:57 PM
Registered Member

But isn't the Tunze MORE accurate as far as sensing the water level and when to top off?