Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/05/2007, 06:22 PM
Registered Member

need lionfish info

I have a 65 gal tank that I set up about 3 months ago and would like to have a lionfish. Question can I have more then one? or if not is there some other kind of fish that will work in the same tank ???
Old 06/05/2007, 07:26 PM
Registered Member

Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but I am pretty sure you can have multiple lions in the same tank. With a 65 gallon I would recommend going with some dwarf lionfish.

If you decide to go with a lion and other fish, your options are pretty varied. Lionfish aren't really aggressive, but they tend to swallow smaller fish whole, as you probably know. So as long as you get large enough fish that aren't going to pick on the lionfish (for example, avoid triggers) you should be good to go.
Old 06/05/2007, 08:30 PM
Registered Member

they are really only categoried in "aggressive" fish is because they are meat eaters. yes you can keep more thatn one lion in a tank but they would have to be dwarfs. Why not a Fuzzy or a zebra. IMO do not keep any lion with fish that might or will nip at their fins. This pretty much rules out tangs, triggers, angels, DAMSELS, etc. also stay away from small fish, if it looks like it can fit in the lions mouth......stay away from it. well i HTH a bit....
Old 06/05/2007, 09:34 PM
Registered Member

I was thinking Zebra can I have 2 and can they be kept in a reef tank?
Old 06/05/2007, 09:57 PM
Registered Member

Two should fit in a 65 alright. They won't pick at anything in a reef tank. The worst they could do is rest on a coral.
Old 06/05/2007, 11:36 PM
Registered Member

i been hearing about feeding stick for a long long time, but just wondering, how does a feeding stick look like? it would be best if someone can post a pic here.
Old 06/06/2007, 06:40 AM
Registered Member

It is just a long thin piece of plastic that has a point on the end.
Old 06/06/2007, 06:47 AM
Nano Reefer

You could also go with an antennata lion. They get only a little bigger than the dwarfs/fuzzy dwarfs. Here's a link to reefkeeping's lionfish article. It's definitely worth the read.

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/20...ture/index.php
Old 06/06/2007, 10:22 AM
Registered Member

then when the lion swallow the food whole, wont we hurt their mouth with the pointed edge?
Old 06/06/2007, 11:21 AM
Registered Member

I have 5 lions they are fine together, no problems at all
Old 06/06/2007, 11:36 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
then when the lion swallow the food whole, wont we hurt their mouth with the pointed edge?
It is not pointed, here is a feeding prong -----> http://www.aquariumguys.com/feedingprong.html

Make sure you read the lion info sheet, keeping multiple dwarfs can be different than keeping multiple Volitans together.

Lion Info Sheet -----> http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/20...ture/index.php

Quote:
I have 5 lions they are fine together, no problems at all
You keep Volitans ..... Right? or are you keeping 5 dwarfs?

Kaye
Old 06/06/2007, 11:41 AM
Registered Member

Sorry, 5 Volitans
Old 06/06/2007, 01:14 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by VolitanLioness
It is not pointed, here is a feeding prong -----> http://www.aquariumguys.com/feedingprong.html
I have that exact feeding stick, and it does come beveled to a sharp edge. So it isn't really a point, but it is sharp, which makes it easy to poke into food.

When you feed your lion with it, the tip should remain in the food, not completely skewered. When the lionfish grabs onto it he will have the whole food in his mouth, and you can simply pull the stick out of his mouth. I have never my lion or my eel be hurt by the feeding stick.
Old 06/07/2007, 10:35 AM
It tastes like burning

Quote:
Originally posted by pinkie
I have that exact feeding stick, and it does come beveled to a sharp edge. So it isn't really a point, but it is sharp, which makes it easy to poke into food.

When you feed your lion with it, the tip should remain in the food, not completely skewered. When the lionfish grabs onto it he will have the whole food in his mouth, and you can simply pull the stick out of his mouth. I have never my lion or my eel be hurt by the feeding stick.
That's what I also used when I first got my Volitan. I just pushed the stick about halfway into cubes and such. I was also worried at first that he might get hurt, but there was never a problem.

I had to switch my Volitan from live to prepared foods, so it took some time, and the feeding stick is good for that. You can wiggle the food on the stick to make it look, or at least try, like it is alive and swimming.

Also, I would suggest that you feed him in the same location at each feeding, ie. in the front, right corner of the tank. After a while, he'll know that whatever is dropped in the tank at that spot is intended for him. Then you can move past the feeding stick and just drop the food in for him to eat.
Old 06/07/2007, 05:36 PM
Registered Member

dont BUY a feeding stick. lol im sorry but that's ridonkulous. get a piece of clear rigid tubing. get a length of fishing line. thread the line through the tube so it sticks out 1-1.5 inches. tie the end with enough of a knot so the line won't fall out of the tube. cut off the excess string from the knotted end.

pierce the food using the 1-1.5 inch sticking out section of line. when the fish is about to lunge, pull on the knotted end to release the food. or if the fish gets the food before the line is retracted, no worries, just pull the string out of the things mouth.