Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/18/2007, 08:18 AM
Registered Member

Oh shut up, and kiss my fairy wrasse. ~Gawain1974~

silly girls make stuff hard ~drauka99~
Old 05/18/2007, 09:18 AM
Nightime Tank Cleanin'

Close friend of mine was ripped out of $5k for a motorcycle that didn't exist. The seller had lots of positive feedback but they were all for small items. So he had built up his feedback selling cheap items only to perform a big whammy on my buddy for this bike. So the feedback things can be scammed along just like anything else.
Old 05/18/2007, 02:36 PM
Registered Member

I learned my lesson on ebay and now I know how to read ebay.

Feedback is the biggest and best (and usually only) way to judge their credibility. If someone has 5,000 plus positive responces, and only a handful of negative, they're usually a pretty good safe bet. There is ALWAYS jerks who are so freaking stupid that they give negative feedback for someone they wasn't the sellers fault. I've seen feedback for UPS/FED ex issue, and the person even said so. "Fed ex left outside in rain." "UPS dented side of box" etc. etc. etc.

Look at the feedback itself. If someone has sold a couple hundred things, but all the listings have been removed, and they only have one item for bid, thats pretty suspicious. If there are still listing there, look at them. If he sold 25 matchbox cars for $2 each, and is now selling, "NIB Super Computer, blah blah blah." think twice.

Anyone who is selling something different than what they normally sell is something to watchout for. It does happen, especially with private sellers, but this should be your first red flag, any others, and I would find someone else.

I would say NEVER buy from someone with very little feedback and will not work with you. I mostly use eBay to buy, and have less than 100 feedback, but on the few I've sold, I've worked very carefully and nicely with the buyer. Communicating with them as soon as possible and as often as possible. Giving them as much info as I could.

Pictures, pictures, pictures. If there are no pictures, then I do not bid.
You MUST have Metal Halides
DSP & BB are BOTH wrong
Your skimmer sucks
Your W/Cs regimen is wrong
Your tank is too small for a Tang
Old 05/18/2007, 02:50 PM
Where the future begins!

Ehh photos aren't always everything though. When I was searching for a MH setup, a guy on there was selling off a whole bunch of new equipment that he had. He claimed he had bought it to make a new setup and then never got around to doing it.

One of the things up for sale was a 48" Aquaspacelight 250W HQI setup for $500. He had no pictures, so I was sketchy myself. After thinking about it for several days, I decided to bid on it. I contacted the buyer several times before hand though and he was very good about answering my questions.

It turned out to be the best money saver I have ever found in this hobby so far. It came in it's original box, not even taken out of it's bubble wrap. Everything was new including the box.

Like Rasco said, though, is that you really have to be aware of what you're looking at. Don't be afraid to ask questions. If they can't answer you, don't bid. I wouldn't necessarily gauge everything off of pictures though because even they can be deceiving.

Now if only I had bought the Euroreef skimmer he had up for sale also. Brand new and was only asking $175

*sorry bout the photo, couldn't get the flash to go off*

Do evil in return."

“Those things that nature denied to human sight, she revealed to the eyes of the soul.”
Old 05/18/2007, 05:23 PM
2336'F pyromaniac

in a thick Italian accent

Eeh Christy,

If you donn git you money back, you jus posta ee's name here. We senda da Tang Police - he be sorry he ever here af a 'catdoc'!!

Davido 'the noodle' Linguini

Listening to: "Make It Rain" - Tom Waits
Drinking: Trois Pistoles

"Check out my current artwork in the little red house above^"
Old 05/18/2007, 06:30 PM
Ich Rumor/Myth Buster

Do not cancel your claim catdoc. You and I have been on the same page for a while with each other and trust me if you cancel the claim you won't get your item. I believe after 30 days from the time you opened the claim you will get your money back from Paypal if you haven't received the item. Also, don't leave any negative feedback until he leaves you a posititve. Then after you get a positive you leave the negative. Hehe
Old 06/06/2007, 09:18 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JokerGirl

I used to work for eBay. Whatever you do, DO NOT close that dispute until you have your item. If you close the dispute beforehand, then you will not get to reopen another one.
catdoc,

Thats all correct, i closed my dispute when i was given a tracking number, well i got a empty box with a tracking number and since i closed the case i wasn't able to reopen it.

Good luck.
Old 06/06/2007, 09:47 AM
Fish nerd

I did get the item a few days after I opened the dispute.

Animals are such agreeable friends - they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms.
-George Eliot
Old 06/06/2007, 10:28 AM
Registered Member

So it really did arrive? I'm surprised, by his response it definitely sounded like he was going to scam.

AKA *Harley Swingwood*
Old 06/06/2007, 10:38 AM
Ich Rumor/Myth Buster

It's amazing what happens when sellers know that the public knows they have options to either put the seller in jail or hit them where they hurt.