Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/04/2007, 02:30 PM
Registered Member

you can also use a router and spiral bit. I have cut up to 12" tubing by using the same method as the table saw but with a router table and the fence set up like an edge planer.

no matter what with 1" material and that big of diameter you will just have to go slow and be patient.

i would say that if you use a TS then go back with a router to clean up the cuts as it will probable do some melting and scarring on the cut.

i do agree with everones view also.

Flashing:
make the flashing long enough to go around the pipe almost 2 complete wraps to ensure the edges are even and straight. then personally i would use a good circ saw with a high quality blade.....thats my opinoin on that method.

Table Saw:
make a large box jig with the v shape on the bottom.
if you make the base larger than the box you can clamp it to the table. ather idea is to use guides or make guides to fir the mitre track and track clamps to hold it in.

there is definately more than one way to do this. dry run whatever you do and see what feels easiest and safest to you.

HTH,
BR
Old 06/04/2007, 03:37 PM
El Jefe de WRS

I like the v-groove box with the router idea... that way you could do a 1/2" deep cut... see how even it really is, and then go back for 1". It would prolly result in the nicest finish for the edge.
Old 06/04/2007, 04:52 PM
Registered Member

no need for chainsaws.i could really care less how it gets cut,just trying to offer MY OPINION on how it is safe to cut for the average joe.
cheers and happy reefing
Old 06/04/2007, 05:15 PM
Premium Member

checkinhawk... Your opinion is valued. I just got the impression that you did not value ours
Old 06/04/2007, 05:22 PM
Registered Member

i value all opinions,i just wanted to give the guy a safe(or what i consider safe)way to cut it.like i said no chainsaws here or hard feelings i have and do cut pipe on the tablesaw but ive never even thought about doing it with 18" just seems kind of scarey.
Old 06/04/2007, 05:24 PM
Premium Member

Now that I know the thickness of the material, can I change my suggestion from a jigsaw to oxyacetylene?
Old 06/04/2007, 05:30 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Siffy
Now that I know the thickness of the material, can I change my suggestion from a jigsaw to oxyacetylene?
Me to, I'm liking the chain saw idea. But really being that darn thick I'd definately rough cut it and chuck it up on the lathe to finish it off with a big router 3hp router mounted to the tool rest.
Without the lathe I'd just stick with a good tablesaw jig, I doubt I could get anything usable with a jig saw.

Don
Old 06/05/2007, 07:40 AM
Registered Member

Personally if I were a DIYer, I'd take it to a machine shop and have them stick it on a big ol' lathe and be happy I got it done for just a few bux with little or no labor/headache on my part.

Yes there are ways to do it on your own but the chances of screwing up are fairly high and 1" thick PVC puts off a cloud that is not exactly pleasant.

James
Old 06/05/2007, 08:42 AM
Premium Member

I wish I knew a guy that owned a lathe with a chuck that large!

I needed some aluminum discs 18" in diameter, with dadoes in them a few years back. I could not find ANYBODY reasonable. HUGE fabrication facilities had stuff, but they wanted $1000 to do the 20 minutes of work. That left me with CNC, and the charges were even more for 1 off stuff.

Can anybody say home made catchers outfit and DeWalt router! Talk about dangerous and not a good idea
Old 06/05/2007, 10:41 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BeanAnimal
I wish I knew a guy that owned a lathe with a chuck that large!

I needed some aluminum discs 18" in diameter, with dadoes in them a few years back. I could not find ANYBODY reasonable. HUGE fabrication facilities had stuff, but they wanted $1000 to do the 20 minutes of work. That left me with CNC, and the charges were even more for 1 off stuff.

Can anybody say home made catchers outfit and DeWalt router! Talk about dangerous and not a good idea
I can do monster plastic stuff on my OW2436 w/60" bed extension. I have a 3hp PC router to do the cutting in a spindle tool rest. Probably wouldnt try to cut metal but I'll be happy to turn you a 3ft salad bowl or a 7ft baseball bat.

Don
Old 06/05/2007, 11:03 AM
Premium Member

Care to turn me some small 6" dia cherry cylinders about 5" tall (feet) for a bathroom towel cabinent

I can never justify buying a lathe... but I sure need one a lot.

Last edited by BeanAnimal; 06/05/2007 at 11:08 AM.
Old 06/05/2007, 11:19 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by checkinhawk
i value all opinions,i just wanted to give the guy a safe(or what i consider safe)way to cut it.like i said no chainsaws here or hard feelings i have and do cut pipe on the tablesaw but ive never even thought about doing it with 18" just seems kind of scarey.
checkinhawk,

Don't sweat it. It seems like BeanAnimal jumps all over someone on this board several times a week.

You offered an informed expert opinion (someone who works with plastic every day). Someone else with a lot of capital letters on their keyboard had another.
Old 06/05/2007, 12:43 PM
Premium Member

Lutefisk...

Here is the problem PEOPLE JUST LIKE YOU WHO ADD NOTHING TO A THREAD BUT A PERSONAL ATTACK.

It gets very old, and I for one am sick and tired of watching it.

Lets go back here and remind you about WHO jumped all over someone IF IN FACT ANYBODY REALLY DID! I think you may have just one the prize.

The first "jump" was by checkinhawk himself (not that it was that bad at all, he just felt strongly about his opinion):
Quote:
BigReef you can cut it how ever you want.if i were you id listen to the guy that does this for a living,not a student or operations manager.just my 2 cents.
I would certainly call that a stab at other peoples opinions, and certainly not polite. Maybe a bit condescending but he was trying to make a point.

That should be enough to disprove your stupid comment. But lets go on shall we:

MY FIRST POST AND DIRECT RESPONSE TO THAT COMMENT WAS POLITE AND RESPECTFUL. IT was in response to the safety issue:
Quote:
I would have to disagree here.

There is certainly a safe way to cut the pipe on a table saw.
IS THAT JUMPING ALL OVER SOMEBODY?? I rather thought it was polite and respectful.

My VERY NEXT post:
Quote:
And let me be clear...

I am not saying the way checkinhawk is cutting plastic is wrong... I am just saying that it can be cut on a TS safely with the proper jig. Like anything else on the tablesaw, setup is 99% of the safety battle.
Is that JUMPING ALL OVER SOMEBODY? On the contrary it was making sure the guy got credit for his opinion and experience.

Checkinhawks response was rather pointed and an attempt paint my response as PURE OPINION, which it was not. Not a personal attack. I cearly stated the differences between the opinion and fact regarding our different views. I did so because I felt strongly that there is a safe way to use a TS to cut pipe, and the FACTS support that opinion.

Me:
Quote:
checkinhawk... Your opinion is valued. I just got the impression that you did not value ours
Checkinhawk:
Quote:
It sure would appear that both of us have covered what we wanted and left it at a polite and understanding end.

You lutefisk, and people LIKE YOU are trouble makers. Look at the threads where I "jump" on somebody, and you will find yourself or somebody just like you who provokes a fight. You do so for no other reason than your dislike of somebody or their opinion. You see ME involved in these spats because I post a LOT here and have to deal with people like yourself A LOT.

Yet it takes two to tango but it gets old having to constantly put up with this crap. If you don't like my opinions then address them. Don't resort to childish and unprovoked personal attacks that have nothing to do with the subject at hand.

Did you NOTICED that we are all being rather friendly here lutefisk? Why would you come along and start trouble where there is none? Did you expect to make such asinine comments without getting a pointed response, or were you counting on it?

Just because there are a growing number of people who act and think like you just did, does not make it right or acceptable.
Old 06/05/2007, 04:21 PM
Registered Member

Talking

Lets just declare Bean the winner, he has certainly put enough effort into defending his position.

Just kiddin ya...bean..... I do get some valuable information from your posts...as lenghtly as they are
Old 06/05/2007, 04:39 PM
Registered Member

oh bean.....dont let this crap get stirred up again.you said it well that we both left it at a polite and understanding end.
Old 06/05/2007, 04:45 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Care to turn me some small 6" dia cherry cylinders about 5" tall (feet) for a bathroom towel cabinent

I can never justify buying a lathe... but I sure need one a lot.
You can do those tiny things hollow without a lathe.

Don
Old 06/05/2007, 05:41 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Lutefisk...
You lutefisk, and people LIKE YOU are trouble makers.
I just know that I should just disappear from this thread but ...

Bean, you say you're interested in facts, try to find some posts (let's make it sporting and say other than this one) where I've been a "troublemaker" or provoking a fight. It might be a good idea before you try to beat me over the head with that.

Quote:
by Mark426
Lets just declare Bean the winner, he has certainly put enough effort into defending his position.
Sound like a good idea to me
Old 06/05/2007, 05:57 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Donw
You can do those tiny things hollow without a lathe.

Don

I don't even need em hollow... I just need to match the feet on the vanity. The doors are a different story. A lathe would make a 10 minute job of it.

I actually considered chucking it in the drill press with a live center on the table side and doing it.... just have not had the time to get the cherry and glue it up.

I am fully open to better ideas.
Old 06/05/2007, 06:15 PM
Premium Member

Lutefisk, I don't need to beat you over the head with anything. I don't need to search for anything.

What transpired is very clear. You jumped into this thread for no other reason than to make a personal attack. You did so unprovoked and with comments that were simply not true.

Worse yet, your still here and could not resist the chance to take yet another little shot (smiley face or not, it was a shot and nobody is that ignorant that they would believe anything else).

There is a growing number of people who feel that it is OK to act like this whenever THEY don't agree with the opinions they have read or been given. It is wrong and in almost every case it is unprovoked and more hateful or malicious than ANY of the comments or opinions they are responding to.

I have been involved in exactly 133 threads in just the last 10 days. Out of those 133 threads, there have been a handfull where somebody as acted EXACTLY like you just have.

Some of us have simply had enough of it. The behavior is childish.
Old 06/05/2007, 06:19 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
oh bean.....dont let this crap get stirred up again.you said it well that we both left it at a polite and understanding end.
Does that mean you would consider buying me new tubing cutter

FWIW, I have some 10" PVC that I need to cut and will be trying out the grinder method just to see if I am good enough to get a decent end. I intend to build an RO water storage tower in the corner of the furnace room.
Old 06/05/2007, 06:22 PM
Premium Member

Quote:

There is a growing number of people who feel that it is OK to act like this whenever THEY don't agree with the opinions they have read or been given. It is wrong and in almost every case it is unprovoked and more hateful or malicious than ANY of the comments or opinions they are responding to.

Some of us have simply had enough of it. The behavior is childish.
We agree on a lot of stuff whether you know it or not. That is one of them.
Old 06/05/2007, 06:32 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
I don't even need em hollow... I just need to match the feet on the vanity. The doors are a different story. A lathe would make a 10 minute job of it.

I actually considered chucking it in the drill press with a live center on the table side and doing it.... just have not had the time to get the cherry and glue it up.

I am fully open to better ideas.
I think you will find what your looking for in Fine woodworking issue #136. Just a router and a jig. You can make them as big as you want. They turn out just as nice as they would on any lathe.

Then use the jig to finish your big pvc tube.

Don
Old 06/05/2007, 06:36 PM
Premium Member

Lutefisk,

If you are at all insinuating that I have attacked anybody in an unprovoked and malicious manner, and that your actions here have been noble and justified, then your contextual skills are severely lacking.

If on the other hand that is an attempt at an apology, then your on the right track.
Old 06/05/2007, 06:38 PM
Premium Member

The big PVC tube was somebody else idea a while back.

I kind of laughed at first, but after doing the math, what a cheap and convenient way to store water in tight spaces.

Thanks for the FWW info. I will see if I can scare up a copy. I stopped buying it due to the price and my lack of time to work with wood. I am a big fan of their JIG articles and reviews on popular shop tools.
Old 06/05/2007, 06:40 PM
Premium Member

Ahh just checked the FWW site... #136 is no longer available. Off to check the better parts of the internet.