Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/30/2007, 10:32 AM
Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid

Quote:
Originally posted by NeveSSL
Hello Grim!

I will be getting a retro kit for my 45g tall. Its 12.5", so 4 lamps seems to be what I'll be able to cram in there.

The question: I'd like to order from reefgeek. It seems to be between the "Tek2" retros and the "IceCap" high output retros (the ones with just the IC reflectors). The have the same price. Would one be better than the other one over all?

I'm not real positive on what I'd like to keep just yet to be honest. I'd like to eventually get a clam, but I'll probably upgrade to two IceCap ballasts to overdrive the lamps to get more light.

With this in mind, what lamps should I get at reefgeeks? What would be a good starting point?

Last but not least, how can I determine if I need a splashguard, and how are guys installing those in canopies?

Thanks!

Brandon
Get a tek retro upgraded to Ice Cap reflectors. Those Tek II reflectors are too wide.

Try this for lamps

Front
Blue Plus
Super Actinic
UVL Aquasun
Aquablue
Old 05/30/2007, 10:36 AM
New Aquatronica Fan

Thanks! I appreciate it.

Brandon
Old 05/30/2007, 01:38 PM
Premium Member

Hi Grim,

Once again, thanks for the help so far. I'll send pics of my new canopy soon. It might help others.

Right now I'm still trying to nail down the color issue. Moving the bulbs helped, but I think I'm still a little "white". My only question is:

Are the ATI Aquablue or UVL Actinic White just a pure white bulb?

I'm thinking of switching out my Geisemann Aquablue for either of these.

My remaining bulbs are F->B Blue+,Super Actinic, GE 6500K, Geisemann AB (what I'm thinking of switching)
Old 05/30/2007, 01:59 PM
One Good Friend

I've searched this thread for quite some time about the coralvue retro's and it doesnt' seem like there is any data about there par and output or reflectors. Are these comparable to the tek's? I'm sure the icecaps are better but are they a step below the icecap and a step above the tek? Thanks!
Old 05/30/2007, 01:59 PM
Registered Member

Newbie Confusion.

I wandered into this thread and I'm a little confused. Some are saying that T5 lighting is better than compact fluorescent lighting, but aren't they the same thing just different wattages?

From what I've been reading on lighting, a compact fluorescent bulb is basically just a T5 or T6 bulb bent into a nifty little shape and has a different wattage.

does the straight T5 shape make the difference in lumen output, etc to enhance the performance over the shape of the compact fluorescent?

HUH?
Old 05/30/2007, 02:44 PM
10 & Over Club
Coral Biographer

Quote:
Originally posted by Noobie99
Newbie Confusion.

I wandered into this thread and I'm a little confused. Some are saying that T5 lighting is better than compact fluorescent lighting, but aren't they the same thing just different wattages?

From what I've been reading on lighting, a compact fluorescent bulb is basically just a T5 or T6 bulb bent into a nifty little shape and has a different wattage.

does the straight T5 shape make the difference in lumen output, etc to enhance the performance over the shape of the compact fluorescent?

HUH?
They are very similiar technologies, I am not sure how much the same or different they are though. The real difference is the fact you can build much better reflectors for the t-5 lamps due to the size and shape. Less light is lost.

Dave
Old 05/30/2007, 04:21 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by The Grim Reefer
I would add a 4 lamp retro with Ice Cap reflectors from reefgeek, they upgrade the standard Tek retros to Ice Cap reflectors for like 2 bux a reflector.

For lamps it really depends on personal taste. I would run at least 1 3000K or UVL Aquasun.

I'd try this

Front

Blue
Super Actinic
Blue
GE 3000K
Blue
GE 6500K
Super Actinic
Blue

If your going to be around Aurora get a hold of me and you can see what a similar mix to that looks like.
Thanks! Do you think the clams (1 Maxima and 1 Crocea) I have now would be ok with the T5's?
Old 05/30/2007, 04:31 PM
Registered Member

Ok, it's stupid question time.

I am getting a used light fixture on Sunday. It's supposed to be a fluorescent fixture with either 6 or 8 bulbs (it's a freebie and I wasn't there when my husband spoke to the guy who owns it). Anyway... Can I put T5 bulbs in it? or will the ends need to be changed? Can T5s run on the same ballast as a regular fluorescent? Or would the ballast need to be changed out as well?

I was going to just read this thread until I saw how many times it had been split!

Thanks!
Old 05/30/2007, 04:31 PM
Registered Member

double post
Old 05/30/2007, 07:06 PM
10 & Over Club
Coral Biographer

Quote:
Originally posted by Yinepu
Ok, it's stupid question time.

I am getting a used light fixture on Sunday. It's supposed to be a fluorescent fixture with either 6 or 8 bulbs (it's a freebie and I wasn't there when my husband spoke to the guy who owns it). Anyway... Can I put T5 bulbs in it? or will the ends need to be changed? Can T5s run on the same ballast as a regular fluorescent? Or would the ballast need to be changed out as well?

I was going to just read this thread until I saw how many times it had been split!

Thanks!
If it is a N.O. fixture no it will not work. they are different wattage bulbs.

Dave
Old 05/30/2007, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dyngoe
Hi Grim,

Once again, thanks for the help so far. I'll send pics of my new canopy soon. It might help others.

Right now I'm still trying to nail down the color issue. Moving the bulbs helped, but I think I'm still a little "white". My only question is:

Are the ATI Aquablue or UVL Actinic White just a pure white bulb?

I'm thinking of switching out my Geisemann Aquablue for either of these.

My remaining bulbs are F->B Blue+,Super Actinic, GE 6500K, Geisemann AB (what I'm thinking of switching)
You would want to change the Aquablue for a Blue Plus if you think the look is still too white
Old 05/30/2007, 10:33 PM
Registered Member

I have a nova extreme lighting on my 29 gal.. no reflectors.. ( got it from dr foster&smith) is my lighting okie for clams?
Old 05/30/2007, 11:57 PM

If the tank is over 20" tall I wouldn't try it.
Old 05/31/2007, 02:54 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by shred5
If it is a N.O. fixture no it will not work. they are different wattage bulbs.

Dave
ok thanks!
Old 05/31/2007, 10:08 AM
Registered Member

i have a quick question for the masses,

I have the Aquactinics 36" 5 bulb fixture and am in need of replacing my bulbs as its been at least a year, probably 2 since i did it. i know...ooops. I have no idea what exactly i have in there now, i remember i have a GE 6500 in the middle, but thats about all i can recall. I have heard that now they have a more true actnic out that somewhat matches the VHO's and PC. are they any good? or better yet, can Grimm or somebody give me some combo choices? i like a bluer looking more natural tank.

oh yea its on a 65 gallon AGA tank.

i have what you could say a mixed reef with zoo's, way too much zenia(anybody know if there is a joes juice type substance that kills zenia? sorry, getting off topic) and seem to be aquiring more sps over time.

any help will be great thanks!
Old 05/31/2007, 11:04 AM

Try this

Front
ATI Blue Plus
UVL Super Actinic
UVL Aquasun
ATI Blue Plus
ATI Aquablue

For a more white look

Front
Blue Plus
UVL Aquasun
Super Actinic
GE 6500K
Blue Plus
Old 05/31/2007, 11:40 AM
Registered Member

thanks Grimm
Old 05/31/2007, 03:57 PM
Registered Member

Hi. I have a question that i dont really know if there is a perfect answer too. I recently had to sell off my hundred gallon tank, and now have set up a 20 gallon which i plan to make a reef and put it side by side with another 20 gallon freshwater planted tank. I was hoping that i could light both of these tanks using the same fixture and plan to get the the Tek 2 48" 2x54W retrofit kit. I was wondering if there was a bulb combination that would satisfy the needs of both the freshwater and marine tank, without making one or the other look bad. Thanks.
Old 05/31/2007, 04:11 PM
I'll take SWords for $500

I just found this thread looking for a place to post any helpful feedback. Wish I was following along....

Anyway, I chose my lighting system almost 2 years ago (summer 2005) with the help of people here on RC -- including Grimm who helped tremendously. 18 months since setup I thought maybe I could post any results that might help others. But, since I havent been following this thread, I'll just post some basics and then take it from there.

Current Setup started on 11/23/2005

- 220 Gallon Tank, 72" long, 24" wide, and 30" high (this was a big decision point when picking my lights)

- 8x80 Watt T-5 retro lighting (from reefgeek). 60" bulbs. Powered and overdriven by 2 IceCap 660's and 1 IceCap 430. Results in anywhere from 640 to 800 total watts.

- B/c my tank is 72" long I had to stagger the 60" bulbs.

- Not sure what type of reflectors I have (maybe Icecap) but its individual reflectors for each bulb.

- Eventually built my own aluminum tubed canopy.

- Keeping fish as well as some simple corals:
- Zoos
- Frogspawn
- Torch
- Ricordea
- 5 GBTAs
- Xenia

- I've had mixed results with my corals and cant blame any specific success or failures on my lights. But, for the most part, my corals have done "ok" at best. Lost my first one in two years last week and most things have had minimal growth, which was my goal.

- Havent had to replace the bulbs except when I broke two accidentally upgrading my canopy. Just this past week or so I've decided I need to switch them out. It just so happened to be 18 months on the mark since startup.

- Had one problem with a ballast fuse which Icecap fixed for free.

- Oh, also had a real scare when my initial, shotty wooden canopy caused an "Arc" incident and almost a house fire when I was away!! Make sure your bulbs are COMPLETELY connected at all times!!!!

Overall I would say I'm pleased with the results. I chose T5 primarly b/c I liked the look of flourescents, and secondarily for maintenance costs and my long term reef goals (not full blown reef, just fish and simple corals). But I also wanted to be able to have the option of keeping something more light needy, and from research I beleived I could. The tank being 30" deep was also a factor and a risk I took. Also, I would say although they lights havent burned out, I noticed a drop-off in the brightness of the lights pretty early on - 5 to 6 months in. Coral growth has been slow, which is fine, but I can attribute that to other factors. The last few months, after getting water parameters in check, growth got better until a few weeks ago. Then I calculated its been 18 months since burn in. I expected an 18-24 month lifespan with the lights.

I have 8 new bulbs coming from Reefgeek next week, in the following setup that Greg helped me with:

- 1 x 80W 11000K Aquablue Plus T5 HO Fluorescent (104043) by Giesemann = $24.95

- 2 x 80W Pure Actinic 03 T5 HO Fluorescent (104045) by Giesemann = $57.90

- 1 x 80W 12000K Aquablue Special T5 HO Fluorescent (104978) by ATI = $24.95

- 3 x 80W Blue Plus T5 HO Fluorescent (104982) by ATI = $68.85

- 1 x 80W 3000K Daylight T5 HO Fluorescent (105019) by General Electric = $15.95

So, I think thats it. If anyone can think of any other questions I'd be happy to answer! I know this forum has been the key to my success. And thanks, again, Grimm!
Old 05/31/2007, 10:49 PM
Registered Member

What would be good light bulbs for the t5 nova extreme..
Old 06/01/2007, 08:03 AM

A Blue Plus and Aquablue T5 would do good for both tanks.

Quote:
Originally posted by Therhusky
Hi. I have a question that i dont really know if there is a perfect answer too. I recently had to sell off my hundred gallon tank, and now have set up a 20 gallon which i plan to make a reef and put it side by side with another 20 gallon freshwater planted tank. I was hoping that i could light both of these tanks using the same fixture and plan to get the the Tek 2 48" 2x54W retrofit kit. I was wondering if there was a bulb combination that would satisfy the needs of both the freshwater and marine tank, without making one or the other look bad. Thanks.
Old 06/01/2007, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by onecrzyboi4u
What would be good light bulbs for the t5 nova extreme..
Depending on your tank size sticking to ATI, UVL And GE brand light will be good because your system has no good reflectors so the higher output of the good lamps will help.
Old 06/01/2007, 09:15 AM
10 & Over Club
Coral Biographer

bheron
Thanks for the feedback.

By the way when you get the new lamps you do not want to change them all at once. The additional light could shock the corals. Do them a few at a time over a week and a half or so.

Dave
Old 06/01/2007, 10:46 AM
I'll take SWords for $500

Dave, I was about to post that exact question. Always head that for MHs, but wasnt sure for T5s. Makes sense. I was thnking changing out two bulbs per day. But it sounds like you recommend doing it over a longer period of time. Maybe 1 every other day?

Glad that my info helped. There arent big many T5 users out there.
Old 06/02/2007, 10:29 AM
Better Reefer Than You :)

Grim

Would overdriving 4 54w bulbs, put out about the same par as running 6 normally?

Thanks

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.