Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/31/2007, 09:47 PM
Registered Member

Question Calcium Reactor Effluent PH ??

I just installed a new Geo Calcium reactor and am wondering at what desired PH I should set my controller. I have a probe inside the reactor and large media (chunks of coral skeleton) in there. I have tentatively set my target PH inside the unit at 6.5. Geo recommends not going below 6 as this could turn the media to mush. What would you recommend ?

Thanks for your precious advice.
Old 05/31/2007, 10:17 PM
Moved On

it's very dependent on the media you're using. 6.5-6.7 is ballpark for most.

kc
Old 06/01/2007, 08:48 AM
Registered Member

I am hearing 6.3-6.4 from other sources ?
Old 06/01/2007, 08:53 AM
Premium Member

Then, if you trust the other sources, go with that. You asked for an opinion and got one; if you already had an opinion you liked, why ask for another? Did you notice the number of posts that DragonSlayer has?

~Steve~
Old 06/01/2007, 09:02 AM
Registered Member

The reason why these forums are useful is that they allow to get differing opinions on given subjects based on different experiences as none of this field is black and white. If I was very confortable with the first piece of advice I recieved, I wouldn't have posted this question.

I appreciate Dragon Slayer's experience and will certainly take it in high consideration. Ideally, I would prefer to get a few opinions. If they seems to reach a consensus, great. If not, then caution should be advised.
Old 06/01/2007, 09:30 AM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by snorvich
Then, if you trust the other sources, go with that. You asked for an opinion and got one; if you already had an opinion you liked, why ask for another? Did you notice the number of posts that DragonSlayer has?
Thanks for the vote of confidence but i hardly know anything about Ca reactors, after all my instruction sheet for setting them up has only been downloaded 1700 times here on RC and a few thousand on other forums so I'm still a beginner when it comes to these new fangled contraptions

kc
Old 06/01/2007, 10:06 AM
Premium Member

i downloaded it thanks again KC
Old 06/01/2007, 10:39 AM
Premium Member

Ooops. Actually *I* downloaded your instructions a while ago and it is my bible for CA reactor setup. I should have realized that I should be attributing my 6.6 number to you. Mea Culpa. If my memory were any worse, I would have been quoting your words as my experience. Never the less your instructions work well and my Deltec reactor is doing its thing.

~Steve~
Old 06/01/2007, 10:45 AM
Premium Member

But there are opinions and opinions. I see opinions on the reef fish forum that are just wrong and result in fish not doing well. And this is from people that have never successfully cared for that fish. If your PH is too low, it can turn your media to mush (it depends on what media how low is too low). It is an expensive mistake to make.

~Steve~
Old 06/01/2007, 10:53 AM
Registered Member

I use Large ARM Media in my GEO CR and have it set at 6.8 and hold my settings perfectly.
Old 06/01/2007, 11:09 AM
Premium Member

Where can we find this instruction sheet? Sounds nifty.
Old 06/01/2007, 01:11 PM
Premium Member

Yes, it is, especially, if like me, one has never done it before. After reading and doing two of them, the things that are important become obvious.

~Steve~
Old 06/01/2007, 02:57 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by law086
Where can we find this instruction sheet? Sounds nifty.

Click Here

kc
Old 06/01/2007, 03:04 PM
TANK RAIDER!

Quote:
Originally posted by dragon_slayer
Thanks for the vote of confidence but i hardly know anything about Ca reactors, after all my instruction sheet for setting them up has only been downloaded 1700 times here on RC and a few thousand on other forums so I'm still a beginner when it comes to these new fangled contraptions

kc
Mr dragonslayer u r d man LOL
In my experience 6.5 is a great starting point- I also have a GEO and using small media at 6.5. If you are using large media perhaps lower ph could work, as many others will attest to this .
Old 06/01/2007, 03:10 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dragon_slayer

kc
Hey Dragon_slayer where could i find this instruction sheet ?
Old 06/01/2007, 03:10 PM
Moved On

the size of the media is insignificant to the pH, the only difference it makes is surface area and the likelihood of channeling inside the reaction chamber. the make up of the CaCO3 and its purity determine the required pH at which it dissolves. running a lower then required pH for the media you're using is only necessary if you're overdriving your reactor trying to make it do more then it's really designed to do and this is when you most often end up mudding the media.

kc
Old 06/01/2007, 03:13 PM
Registered Member

oops...sorry missed the post above .

Thanx..reading it now
Old 06/01/2007, 03:36 PM
Premium Member

One of the things I learned through trial and error is that my calcium reactor will produce a level that is more than I need (I shoot for 440-450) so I have both of them on timers. I suppose it depends on the CO2 rate (I use 1 bubble per second to produce 6.6 PH) and the media. There is a lot more to think about than I originally had thought. But thanks for the initial get me started information.

~Steve~