Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/31/2007, 08:30 PM
the cattleman

How many of you nano reefers use RO/DI?

I use well water so I don't know if need a ro/di unit. I started research on them today.

Has anybody that has one found out they don't need one?
PO4=0ppm, ideal

1/06/08 after a water change
Ca= 480ppm, still a little high
pH= 8.2, I'd like it at 8.3
NO3= 10ppm, acceptable
Old 05/31/2007, 08:44 PM
Registered Member

I got a RO system from the Culligan man and it has made the biggest improvement in my tanks. I have almost ridden them of all hair algae!
Old 05/31/2007, 08:47 PM
"Lurker"

IME it's one of the most important pieces of equipment I have.
Old 05/31/2007, 09:07 PM
Registered Member

everyone should....
Old 05/31/2007, 09:08 PM
Moved On

i agree with kaos, get one you'll regret it!! i started my tank with tap water and had an algae tank until i started using rodi water.
Old 05/31/2007, 09:08 PM
Registered Member

I agree with the above posts...an RO unit is maybe the best money you can spend on your reef. Now ..that said .... if your not having any algae problems, etc. then maybe you are lucky enough to have some great water and wont really benefit from one. If you are having problems then I would get one ASAP.
Old 06/01/2007, 12:19 AM
Registered Member

Reverse Osmosis (R.O.) unit Using the simple principle of applying a pressure gradient to a semi-permeable membrane, IT eliminate most of the chemicals found in the tap water and produce pure water. The semi-permeable R.O. membrane only allows very small molecules (such as H2O) to pass through it, effectively removing 90-99% of most water impurities including pesticides, arsenic and heavy metals.

As you said using well water find out was you WATER WELL TYPE is,

i would advice u to get a rodi unit if you are relly serious about your tank
look here

http://www.deq.state.mt.us/wqinfo/pws/docs/99NSUM.PDF
Quote from: jht129:I have a website, and if unauthorized people try to get into a restricted part of the site, I would like to make a webpage that has a virus embedded into it so that when they access the restricted webpage, the virus spreads to their system.
Old 06/01/2007, 12:38 AM
Registered Member

I buy mine...$.25 per gallon...I fill a 5 gallon water bottle...it lasts weeks on my 10 gallon tank...I can't justify buying an RO/DI unit at this rate.
Old 06/01/2007, 01:21 AM
Touch me...Love me

Ive got one....

SBC

it'll make a turd - Minuteman

This thread is just about to be closed - Anemone
Old 06/01/2007, 06:43 AM
Registered Member

yep, got one. our water is nasty here so i use it for drinking water as well.

we never had 1 strand of hair algae either.
Old 06/01/2007, 08:24 AM
reef girl

I wont use anything but RO, and if Im short on it I run to the store for distilled, I would never add tap water to any of my tanks with all the extra junk in it

This hobby isn't just for the boys..

Its all fun and games until someone gets salt water in their eyes!
Old 06/01/2007, 08:39 AM
Registered Member

I use one from Air water and Ice. Its a 75GPD unit that I borrow from my neighbor. I am saving up to get one. A great investment because you know the water coming out is clean.
Old 06/01/2007, 09:07 AM
Registered Member

Right now, I'm using distilled. It's at the top of my list, though.
Old 06/01/2007, 11:23 AM
Registered Member

60 GPD Kent Maxxima here
Old 06/01/2007, 11:30 AM
Registered Member

i dont have one yet, but i still go to walmart every 2 weeks to fill up my 10 gal at the culligan station
Old 06/01/2007, 11:36 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Scuba Josh
60 GPD Kent Maxxima here
me too. i love that guy.
Old 06/01/2007, 12:00 PM
Registered Member

if you find the right grocery/bargain/warehouse store, you can just use their "drinking water" that you buy with your own container. ive found it for $0.30/gal. but if you look hard enough, you can find a 2-stage RO unit for around $100...
Old 06/01/2007, 10:33 PM
Registered Member

I buy RO/DI water from my local LFS. .60 a gallon. I just went to Home Depot today and bought three 5 gallon kerosene cylinders to keep it in. My LFS is about a 30min. drive for me. I'd love to get an RO/DI unit, but they produce way more than I need to justify.
Old 06/02/2007, 12:38 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by scaast
I buy mine...$.25 per gallon...I fill a 5 gallon water bottle...it lasts weeks on my 10 gallon tank...I can't justify buying an RO/DI unit at this rate.
It's more about knowing where your water comes from than the cost savings though that is a big plus as well. The place you buy it from, do they maintain their filters and insist on or close to 0 tds?
Old 06/02/2007, 12:40 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by topshotta
I buy RO/DI water from my local LFS. .60 a gallon. I just went to Home Depot today and bought three 5 gallon kerosene cylinders to keep it in. My LFS is about a 30min. drive for me. I'd love to get an RO/DI unit, but they produce way more than I need to justify.
You race sailboats and ski and you're worried about the cost of a ro/di unit? They produce as much or as little as you need, the only negative is they take time to make the water.
Old 06/02/2007, 08:02 AM
Registered Member

I dont have one, at least not yet. I have a source for RODI water, although expensive, but I only buy about 10 gals a week. My next buy will be a chiller since storm season is here. We lose power if the wind blow the wrong direction. After the chiller purchase I'll get the RODI system.

I do think its important, but as long as you know the water you're putting in your tank is 0 TDS, and you don't mind buying water every week - than you're ok too.
Old 06/02/2007, 12:39 PM
This Space for Rent

Location: Sitting on a park bench...eyeing college girls with bad intent.
Quote:
It's more about knowing where your water comes from than the cost savings though that is a big plus as well. The place you buy it from, do they maintain their filters and insist on or close to 0 tds?
that's it exactly. if your buying from a lfs or getting it from one of those $0.25/gal dispensers, the fact is there's a business running it. and those businesses are more concerned about their bottomline then the health of your tank. RO membranes cut into the bottomline, so if they can get away with changing them less they will.

the other thing...i probably averaged about 10g of RO a week ( MH on a nano=lots of evaporation ). at 2.50 a week for...we'll say 100 weeks for simplicity...i bought a really nice RO unit, or 2 ebay RO units over the course of that time that i was using the $0.25/gal dispenser water. not to mention the time, gas, and aggravation of getting the water. and to top that all off, my tank never looked as good as it does now that i use a home RO unit.

at the very least, i'd invest in a TDS meter, or borrow a TDS meter from a local reefer to test the RO water that you get.

just my 2 cents...but IMO, an RO unit is one of the most important, and most benefical pieces of equipment for a reef tank.
Old 06/02/2007, 09:36 PM
Registered Member

I work across the street from a few LFS's so I just buy RO/DI for $0.25 per gal.
Old 06/03/2007, 02:09 AM
Slowly Stocking

I pick up RO water from my grocery store in a 5g jug for 1.95.

Sure, it's probably not the best RO water, but it's gotta be better than the tap water in the dorms

Check the red house.
Old 06/03/2007, 10:55 AM
Frag-a-holic

I just bought 1. Just get a valve for the input and the output and turn it off when you don't need water. With your 100 week scenario, you forgot to add the water changes into the mix. That will be even more. at me using 20 gallons a week for water change and top off, My RO/DI will have paid for itself in 14 weeks. If you shop around, you can get a really good deal. Look at Buckeye field supply, they can get you the basic RO/DI with no pressure regulator or any of the frills for about $120. Go on ebay and get the dual TDS for $25 shipped and you have a kick@$$ RO/DI unit for under $150.

Save a reef, trade a frag!