Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/29/2007, 07:29 PM
Registered Member

What do you recommend for an additive to stabalize pH, Ca 2+, and Alk?

I'm trying to find a system of additives to use on my reef tank to maintain stable pH, Alk, Mg, and Ca 2+. I read Randy Holmes-Farley's article and I'm ashamed to say I've been using a pH buffer and Alk buffer w/o any regards to the Calcium ion level in my tank. I read in his article that it's better and safer to add a two part Calcium ion and Alk additive than using buffer salts. I already own Kent Marine Tectra-CB Part A & B, but never really noticed a difference when I used it. I have no SPS, one LPS, and several soft corals. What additive would you recommend?

Here are my levels as of 2 minutes ago:

Ca 2+: 380 ppm
pH: a little less than 8.0
Mg: 1275 ppm
Alk: 7.7 dKh

I'm still skeptical of using kalkwasser b/c I'm limited in space for a dripper within the stand and I'm still trying to figure out if I would drip dose or dissolve a small amount of lime in a pitcher of top-off water every time I would replenish the water in my system. Also, I can't figure out if it would be easier to just add a 2-part additive like B-ionic, ESV, or Warner Marine. Please give me any advice.
Old 05/29/2007, 08:04 PM
Save me Jebus

I would find a way to drip Kalk. It is the best thing there is. I would try to supply it via drip to replace evaporation. You can add magnesium if it gets low but the kalk will help with all the rest. Most of the tanks I care for ONLY use Kalk and nothing else.
Have a great day.
Kris
Old 05/29/2007, 08:05 PM
Save me Jebus

BTW I didnt mean add Magnesium to the Kalk solution. I meant you can supplement that to your tank separately if you need it.
Have a great day.
Kris
Old 05/29/2007, 09:21 PM
Registered Member

Thanks. You know what they say, "If there's a will, there's a way."
Old 05/29/2007, 10:39 PM
reef obsessed

There really is no "best method" honestly. I use Randy's 2-part homemade supplement. It works great and is very inexpensive to make/use. I dose small, measured, amounts daily and it keeps my alkalinity and calcium rock solid.

An Improved Do-it-Yourself Two-Part Calcium and Alkalinity Supplement System
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/rhf/index.php

Keeping your pH stable is a whole other issue. As you know, pH buffers are not a good long term solution and will cause more harm than good in most cases. Acceptable pH is 7.8-8.5. It sounds like you hover on the low end of the spectrum. Excessive CO2 is usually the cause of depressed pH. The easiest solution is to open some windows and let some fresh air in. Randy's recipe #1 will also raise your pH slightly and is meant for tanks whose pH is on the low side.

Low pH: Causes and Cures
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-09/rhf/index.htm

It's your decision in the long run what you want to use to supplement your alk/ca/mag. I find, as well as many, that the 2-part works wonders. Others swear by kalk. Either way, they are acceptable means to keeping your levels ionically balanced. Hope this helps.

Last edited by drummereef; 05/29/2007 at 10:45 PM.
Old 05/29/2007, 10:47 PM
reef obsessed

Also, the key to 2-part is to know your tanks demand on alkalinity and calcium. Preferably in a 24 hour period. That way you will make measured, daily additions. Once you know your tanks demand you should use this calculator to help in dosing the proper amount.

Reef chemicals calculator
http://home.comcast.net/~jdieck1/chem_calc3.html
Old 05/29/2007, 11:34 PM
Registered Member

Drip kalkwasser. It is amazing.

Old 05/29/2007, 11:55 PM
Registered Member

IF your really interested in going deep into corals, start figuring what your tank uses daily, alk, ph and ca. But if the money low and your coral stays min. just do frequent water changes, they seem to keep it much in balance. I just have to add CA once a week.
Old 05/30/2007, 12:06 AM
Registered Member

The less additives and technology that you have to depend on the better off you will be.
How are you testing your PH, a probe or the liquid tests? If you are doing frequent water changes and have good circuation your pH shouldn't be depressed, especially if you have been adding buffer which neutralizes the acidic buildup which lowers the pH.
Kalkwasser is excellent for maintaining ph, adding calcium and helping buffer.
Me, I just use CaribSea aragaMIGHT! for both calcium and buffer. I'm going on 7 months now with no problems. Calcium 480, 9dKh and pH 7.2. Thats all that I use, 2-3 times per week and water changes.
Old 05/30/2007, 12:10 AM
reef obsessed

morbius18, please tell me that's a typo with your pH. "7.2"
Old 05/30/2007, 12:19 AM
Registered Member

sorry 8.2 , Its getting late
Old 05/30/2007, 12:55 AM
Registered Member

I try to do weekly 15% water changes, but sometimes I miss a week. If that happens I make sure to perform the next water change the following week. Usually I do water changes on the weekends so it's easy to remember when I did it last. I use Tropic Marin Pro-Reef salt mix for my replacement saltwater.
Old 05/30/2007, 07:45 AM
Registered Member

Don't mean to hijack your thread but I have a related question. I use Randy's 2 part recipe #1 with great results. ALK is 9.6, calc 400 and steady. I supplement mg about once amonth to keep it at 1300. My question involves PH. I have ph swings from 8.05 just before lights on to 8.23 just before lights off. Is this too much of a variance? It's not a CO2 issue as I have my sump remotely located in the garage and gets plenty of fresh air. Thanks in advance.
EuroReef Skimmer
2 Tunze 6100 Streams on 7095 MultiController
Typhoon III RO/DI
Current 1/3 HP Chiller
ACjr
65 gal remote sump/fuge
3-250 MH, 4 54W T5
Old 05/30/2007, 10:58 AM
Registered Member

Where can I find Randy's 2 part recipes #1 and #2?
Old 05/30/2007, 11:36 AM
reef obsessed

Quote:
Originally posted by lessans
Where can I find Randy's 2 part recipes #1 and #2?
It's all right here...

An Improved Do-it-Yourself Two-Part Calcium and Alkalinity Supplement System
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/rhf/index.php
Old 05/30/2007, 11:39 AM
reef obsessed

Quote:
Originally posted by rdnyva
Don't mean to hijack your thread but I have a related question. I use Randy's 2 part recipe #1 with great results. ALK is 9.6, calc 400 and steady. I supplement mg about once amonth to keep it at 1300. My question involves PH. I have ph swings from 8.05 just before lights on to 8.23 just before lights off. Is this too much of a variance? It's not a CO2 issue as I have my sump remotely located in the garage and gets plenty of fresh air. Thanks in advance.
No, that's fine. I asked Randy the same question about pH swing. He said that even an immediate shift of 0.2 would be OK as the internal pH of the animal would be able to compensate for the external pH shift. Usually upon addition of Randy's #1 alkalinity part I get a shift of roughly 0.2.
Old 05/30/2007, 01:06 PM
Registered Member

Thanks Drummer, makes me feel better. Didn't know if I had to make some adjustments or not. I get an immediate upward shift upon adding alk part of about .10 to .12 to about 8.15 or so, then it slowly drifts back until the lights come on and then starts to rise. I always dose at 7AM.
EuroReef Skimmer
2 Tunze 6100 Streams on 7095 MultiController
Typhoon III RO/DI
Current 1/3 HP Chiller
ACjr
65 gal remote sump/fuge
3-250 MH, 4 54W T5
Old 05/30/2007, 01:28 PM
reef obsessed

That is totally fine. The 2-part also give you a little extra kick-start in the morning when the tank needs it. No worries.