PDA

View Full Version : Salt Recommendations

wahwoo
02/18/2005, 03:33 PM
I used to use Coralife salt before I moved here. I never heard anything bad about it and my tank seemed fine. When I got here I tried a few LFS but they didnt carry it. I had no other option than to choose between Instant Ocean (which I had heard can cause bleaching) and Oceanic. I chose Oceanic.

Now I hear that Oceanic can cause problems also and that they stoped adding Stronium to their mix. Has anyone growing SPS had bad experience with Oceanic? Should I switch brands?

What salts are you reefers using in SPS tanks?

myakkareef
02/18/2005, 04:19 PM
I have always used IO but I really have a very limited SPS population...

Bugs825
02/18/2005, 05:09 PM
I use Reef Crystals, I think that its made my IO. Just more minor elements. I also have a very limited SPS population. Infact i'm not sure if its SPS or LPS. got different opinions.

Nathan

P.S. It also disolves almost instantly. Very Nice

sandman12
02/18/2005, 08:43 PM
Iam using red sea with not problems. Alot of people use reef crystals.

wahwoo
02/19/2005, 08:31 AM
Thanks for the input. I guess I got it backwards so I'm going to stop using Oceanic. Its been two weeks and I see some brown starting on the sand to one side of the tank. My Nitrates, Phos, Ph and Alk all seem fine so it must be the salt. I did some research and many RC reefers claim the same problem with Oceanic.

I didnt see any bad input on Instant Ocean. Are there any down side to using that brand? My memory obviously skipped a beat, but I remember reading that one salt caused bleaching of SPS. What salt is that?

Agu
02/19/2005, 09:40 PM
I really shouldn't comment because the only salt I've used is IO. Never saw a reason to change........

Agu