PDA

View Full Version : System Go!

fishdoc11
05/19/2004, 07:38 PM
Hey everyone,
I have now been given the official go ahead to upgrade my 75 sumpless sps to a RR 90. So now I am looking for everyones input and suggestions. Here is what I am thinking about so far:

tank- 90 gallon AGA RR

sump- DIY made with 30 gallon tank

return pump- Mag 9.5

skimmer- currently leaning towards a my reef MR-1 in sump with a
Mag12 pump but also considering a euroreef CS6-1 or lifereef

closed loop- with ? pump (need some ideas on this one)

sandbed- debating between 1" or 2" of Caribsea aragonite

Any and all input is greatly aprechiated. I have been reefing for 3 yrs and keeping fish most of my life but this will be my first tank with a sump so I need all the help I can get. Feel free to make suggestions on any part of the setup mentioned or not mentioned.

Thanks in advance for the help, Chris

Sir Knight
05/19/2004, 08:01 PM
Hey Chris,
Sound like a plan.
If you want a cheap reliable external pump for your closed loop that will do 1190 gph. I recommend a gen-x mak4. They are fan cooled and they never added any heat to my systems as far as I could tell. I ran these pumps in my greenhouse and basement farm and never had a problem. I also ran these on my own tanks and again never a problem. Premium Aquatics is selling them for $119.95.
I would not recommend mag drives externally because they have a reputation for leaking.

If you need any help putting the closed loop together let me know and I would be happy to help you.

Here is a link to PA

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=PA&Category_Code=MAK4

fishdoc11
05/19/2004, 10:02 PM
Thanks Joe, I will need help with the closed loop. I've been sitting here planning it and I allready have numerous questions.
Chris

Countzer0
05/20/2004, 08:10 AM
wow congrats chris ...sounds like a sweet project. let me know if i can do anything to help

reewik
05/20/2004, 08:40 AM
What sounds better is for you to just start over and I will take the tank you have now! That would include all your corals.

I like the 30 gallon idea for a sump, you may want to look at a 30 long. The key to the sump is to make sure that when you turn off the pump the back siphon does not cause a flood. This is accomplished by drilling a hole at the surface of the water on the return line.

I am in the market for a new skimmer so post some info. Mine is on a 42 but I want it to have room to grow.

:D

Dan Fagan
05/20/2004, 09:06 AM
Congrats. I added a closed loop to my upgrade a few months ago. Mine is a slightly bigger upgrade so the pump I elected to use will be too big (Ampmaster 300). I used a mak-4 on my old syatem (110gal) to run my skimmer and found it a tad on the noisy side.

I currently have an Iwaki 40rlt on my skimmer. Noise was a big factor for me so I was reluctant at first but I liked the idea of having a pressure rated pump on the skimmer.

If you have alot of elbows or long ft/ head consider the pressure rated pumps.

Did you consider using a smaller mag-drive for the loop ?

I am a big fan of the dsb for several reasons. Will help stabilize new tank which is vital for the livestock. I'd do 3"+

Good Luck !

fishdoc11
05/20/2004, 04:38 PM
Jason,
Thanks

Eric,
I will keep you updated on the skimmer. You can check out the MR-1 at www.myreefcreations.com It's a little big for your tank, it's rated for 175 gallons, but not for that other tank you have hmmmmmmmm.........

Dan,
Thanks for the info. I would love to use a mag for the loop but they aren't recommended for external use.

Mdwannabe
05/20/2004, 04:45 PM
Chris:
How quick is this going to happen, I may have come across a complete system (hood, tank, stand sump) that will be very reasonably priced (it's a 125), I'll know for sure in a week or so. I'll keep you in mind and updated.

Rick

reewik
05/20/2004, 05:11 PM
uh oh... Chris has wheels spinning and the wife has smoke rising!!!!

Thanks, I wil ck it out. I was considering a Euroreef also

Diehl
05/20/2004, 07:20 PM
Hi Chris:) For the Skimmer I'm going to have to suggest Lifereef. Jeff will be willing to work with you to get the exact skimmer for your new setup:) And you can't beat that 5 year warrenty and self cleaning venturi:D

fishdoc11
05/20/2004, 07:57 PM
Thanks Diel

Eric,
FWIW from all the research I've done I don't think you could go wrong with an MRC, Euroreef or Lifereef. I am leaning towards MRC because it is a good high end skimmer for a good price.

Rick,
Thanks, I might be interested in parts(the sump especially or pumps) but I have been limited to a 90 gallon. My wife forbid me to get any bigger tanks until I'm done with school( and she's right, I really don't have time for what I have now). "Honey, it's not really any bigger it's just taller" :-)

thanks, Chris

reewik
05/20/2004, 10:27 PM
Thanks Chris and I look forward to seeing your new tank all set up. Do you plan a different aquascape in this tank or have you thought that far ahead yet. I will also be willing to help you if needed.

Sir Knight
05/20/2004, 10:37 PM
Chris,
Are you going to have the new tank setup before the meeting at your house in June?
:D

gflat65
05/21/2004, 07:20 AM
I will slave for you if you need me. I've moved my tank at least 5 times and am in the middle of my second double upgrade. Give me a call if you need any help.

fishdoc11
05/21/2004, 08:54 AM
Thanks guys for all the help offers. I definately might take yall up on them since my wife is pregnant and hurt her back a couple of weeks ago(she'd much better now). Unfortunately I won't have the tank setup by our meeting. That just seems too much like pushing it. I may have the plans worked out and stuff ordered by then though. I am trying to take my time and get everything just like I want it and it needs to be. I'm new to the sump/closed loop stuff and for myself I need to understand it inside and out before I put it in my living room.
thanks, Chris

fishdoc11
05/21/2004, 08:56 AM
I will be forced to have a different aquascape because of the location of the overflow. That's another thing I'm working on.
thanks again, Chris

rcmike
05/21/2004, 06:14 PM
Yeah, definately take your time and do it like you want it. I wish I had gotten my tank drilled but it was a rush job(moving into new house) and it didn't happen.

fishdoc11
05/24/2004, 08:24 PM
Well I made my first purchases today. I bought a MR-1 skimmer with a mag 12 pump and a gen-xpcx40(Mak 4) pump for my closed loop. I got them both from Andy at My Reef Creations.
Chris

kev-dog1
05/25/2004, 09:02 AM
Fishdoc
What or where is My Reef Creations? Is this a new LFS in the area?
kev

fishdoc11
05/25/2004, 12:24 PM
www.myreefcreations.com

They are in Georgia and make skimmers, sumps, calcium reactors etc... They have a very good rep and Andy was very helpfull.
Chris

EvilMel
05/25/2004, 01:44 PM
where in georgia?

rcmike
05/25/2004, 05:07 PM
Got this off the "contact us" page.

My Reef Creations
135 Stanley Court Suite 110
Lawrenceville, GA 30045
PHONE: (678) 407-3773
FAX: (678) 407-3272