Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/31/2007, 03:10 PM
Registered Member

reef safe dwarf angel?

thats all i want to know. is there one, and who has PROOF/PICTURES that is has worked for them.

i will be keeping a few SPS, mostly LPS, zoas and shrooms, random lil' polyps, and a clam

thank you!
Old 08/31/2007, 03:18 PM
Registered Member

You find any. I have had good success with some, but the same fish has failed with others. All of them are a risk.

Genicanthus are the only reef safe angles.
Old 08/31/2007, 03:39 PM
Registered Member

yeah, ive looked into a few Genicanthus, and there are a few i really like, i just dont know if i want a fish that big.

hhmmm............

any other thoughts?
Old 08/31/2007, 04:26 PM
Registered Member

i have a coral beauty in my 135g(use to be in my 55g) with zoas, shrooms, brain, snake, and xenias with no problems. this is actually my second CB with no problems. good luck.
Old 08/31/2007, 04:49 PM
Registered Member

I have keep cherub angel and are great in reef tanks, never nip a coral but it depend of the personality of the fish because I have a rock beauty angel that also is doing great without touching a coral. In my opinion one of the best is the cherub because his diet is primary plants.
Old 08/31/2007, 05:51 PM
Registered Member

i have a Coral Beauty, had it in my 65gal reef for 4 months now (since i set it up pretty much) and it hasnt touched anything. but they are hit or miss as far as i know, varies from fish to fish.
Old 08/31/2007, 06:26 PM
Premium Member

I have a centropyge multicolor in each of my two tanks and a centropyge joculator in my LPS tank. No issues with either.

~Steve~
Old 08/31/2007, 06:28 PM
Registered Member

My coral beauty was great in my tank for about 7-8 months and then one day got a taste for my open brain coral. Luckily hasn't seemed to take to anything else, but you never know...
Old 08/31/2007, 09:36 PM
King of the Tank!

Second the Cherub! Mine has been a model citizen. I had him for about a year before I started to add SPS’s. I see that Live Aquaria states Reef Compatible: With Caution. I just make sure that when I feed he gets his full. He’s quite fast but here is a pic around some SPS’s and some softies.

Jay
Old 08/31/2007, 09:37 PM
Registered Member

Best choices are C. argi(cherub) & its close relatives ( flamebacks, etc.). Whitetails ( C. flavicauda), & C. fisheri. All pretty small in size, so even if they decide to start munching, damage will be smaller.
Coral beauties are pretty good. Flames are about 50/50. I have heard conflicting things on Rusties & goldens.
Ones to avoid: Keyhole. Lemonpeel ( C. flavissimus), Bicolor, C. hearaldi., C. eibli, C.vroliki.

Matthew
Old 08/31/2007, 09:52 PM
Registered Member

i have had 3 eibli's 2 of which did not touch ANY corals at all. One was murdered by my Hippo Tang. one was given away (3rd one that happened to eat corals) and the last one killed 2 sixlines so i got rid of him.

With angels... its hit or miss... you either get one that wont eat corals or you get one that will. Also, another thing to remember is if they are well fed than there is less of a risk of a problem.
Old 09/01/2007, 02:29 AM
Registered Member

No such thing, its just a matter of time.
Old 09/01/2007, 03:49 PM
Premium Member

I've had a flame for about a year who doesn't touch coral either. Probably the most commented on fish in the tank since he stands out so much.... well, at least he used to be, I guess we'll see now that there's a Regal in there as well!
Old 09/01/2007, 04:03 PM
Registered Member

I have a bicolor that doesn't touch at anything but I had a flame that was a big nipper but it died when my tank crashed.
I had 2 bicolors since I started this hobby and each time I got lucky and bought a one that was feeding well and that wasn't nipping. great fish imo
2occelaris,1purple dotyback,6chromis,3engineer gobys,2 scooter blenny,1spotted dragonet
Old 09/02/2007, 01:23 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Sheol
Best choices are C. argi(cherub) & its close relatives ( flamebacks, etc.). Whitetails ( C. flavicauda), & C. fisheri. All pretty small in size, so even if they decide to start munching, damage will be smaller.
Coral beauties are pretty good. Flames are about 50/50. I have heard conflicting things on Rusties & goldens.
Ones to avoid: Keyhole. Lemonpeel ( C. flavissimus), Bicolor, C. hearaldi., C. eibli, C.vroliki.

Matthew
I think this is good advice. It sums up every thing I read when I researched adding an angel to my 46 bowfront. I ended up choosing a Brazilian Flameback and he behaved himself for many years before I sold the tank. For the record I did not have any SPS.
Old 09/02/2007, 01:45 AM
Huge Member

I think that if you QT and make sure its eating prepared foods (don't feed clams) and keep it well fed you will have less of a problem as well.

See, that's the trouble with the world today. Not enough danger to kill off stupid people before they get old enough to breed. Bring back lawn darts! -PrivateJoker64
Old 09/02/2007, 01:47 AM
Registered Member

Flame angels

Hello,
I have had great results with Flame Angels. I have had one in my 90gal tank that is a mixture of softies, sps, clams, poylps mushrooms and have never had a problem with it nipping at anything. I would recommend trying one of them. They stay small, are great getting along with other fish and don't bother any corals. Good luck.
Old 09/02/2007, 07:26 AM
Registered Member

I've had a CB for 3 years in a mixed reef tank and with a clam for 2.5 of those years. Never nipped at anything in all that time. A perfect reef citizen. It helps to keep them very very well fed (mine is like a little barrel), you just have to make sure your filtration is up to the extra load. But as said above, they are all individuals. You have to weigh up the risks.
Old 09/02/2007, 10:43 AM
Registered Member

Note: I put the C. eibli on the list because I've seen 2 or 3 horror stories here about them suddenly becoming REALLY destructive.
Yeah, I think if you avoid doing anything that could condition them into eating coral or clams you decrease the chance of bad behavior considerably. Also, bigger tanks with some hair algae to graze is a big help ( & it helps them stay healthier too!).

Matthew
This is opinion-keep it in mind. G'day.
Old 09/02/2007, 11:56 AM
Keeper of the Hair Algae

I have a CB it has been good with SPS and clams.

It's always a gamble with angels of any size.
Old 09/03/2007, 10:07 AM
Registered Member

Some things are more at risk too. IE, many fish like to sample Trachyphyllia (open brain coral) for some reason, including Tangs & some damsels. So its not surprising to hear about Centropyge angels doing it. Clams are also high on the list. So its also better not to keep "Angel Snacks" and pygmy angels in the same tank..

Matthew
And that is NOT an opinion. LOL.
Old 09/03/2007, 10:23 AM
Registered Member

I Have had a CB in my mixed reef for over 3 1/2 years with no problems, I found that if you get them young and keep them feed well it helps
Old 09/03/2007, 04:01 PM
Registered Member

thanks for the info everyone!

i do plan on getting the fish young/small. one thing i was curious about though:

would it be better to add the fish AFTER most of the corals/inverts have been in, so they never really draw any attention?

or get the fish addapted/adjusted to the tank, and then add the corals/inverts, since he's already been eating well and all that?

any info on this, or just any general info would be great. thanks!
Old 09/04/2007, 09:27 PM
Registered Member

< bump >
Old 09/04/2007, 10:39 PM
Registered Member

I have read that it's better to add the dwarf angel after you already have corals in the tank so they are less likely to consider the corals you are putting in the take as food.

IME, I added coral frags both before and after introducing my CB about 6 months ago and I have had no nipping problems.