Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Orlando Reef Caretakers Association (ORCA)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/19/2007, 01:56 PM
long time newbie

Need to know who wants mangrove seedlings

need to know who and what size. can bring to the meeting a wwc this weekend or at the orca meeting. 3" to 16". and how many.

Will mow or plumb your tank for frags
Old 09/19/2007, 02:16 PM
Registered Member

Whats going on Joe. I want some. I will be at the club meeting in clermont next week. Save me a few and also if I can I would like to get that pump from ya.
Old 09/19/2007, 02:18 PM
Registered Member

i still would like some!!!
Old 09/19/2007, 02:27 PM
Registered Member

I have some you gave me that have roots a few inches long already. I could use some for the fuge for my new 220 going up in a week or two.

Also, I had a question. I've jerry rigged a filter floss bag in my 125 which is working wonderfully, but it's a bit ugly. Do you have any suggestions on how to make it a bit prettier? I'm under the impression that if i stuck them in the sand in the tank, they wouldn't sprout so I tied the floss bag with 4 inches of sand in it and fastened it to the edge of the tank. I have a backpack fuge on the 125 and it is deeper than the seedlings are tall.

I did some reading about mangroves and it said that they wouldn't sprout until the natural conditions were correct. I couldn't find much about practices in reef tanks, but in the wild they sprout when they wash up to the shore line, so I was assuming that they wouldn't sprout completely submerged, or would die shortly.

I also found out quickly that my magnesium consumption went up when the seedlings sprouted...I guess they use the stuff to expel the salt. I also saw some charts of tests in a 55 Gallon with and without mangroves.....they really chew up nitrates and organics eh? I had them before mostly because i thought it looked cool, I didn't realize how beneficial they really are.

Thanks Joe...BTW...I had fun at the workshop with you guys...I hope I didn't squirt too much glue on you guys :-D

~D
Old 09/19/2007, 02:39 PM
long time newbie

Quote:
Originally posted by ben&bobbi
i still would like some!!!
i tried to call you the last night. give me a ring and if you are not in school will set something up.

Old 09/19/2007, 02:47 PM
long time newbie

Quote:
Originally posted by JUICEY
I have some you gave me that have roots a few inches long already. I could use some for the fuge for my new 220 going up in a week or two.

Also, I had a question. I've jerry rigged a filter floss bag in my 125 which is working wonderfully, but it's a bit ugly. Do you have any suggestions on how to make it a bit prettier? I'm under the impression that if i stuck them in the sand in the tank, they wouldn't sprout so I tied the floss bag with 4 inches of sand in it and fastened it to the edge of the tank. I have a backpack fuge on the 125 and it is deeper than the seedlings are tall.

I did some reading about mangroves and it said that they wouldn't sprout until the natural conditions were correct. I couldn't find much about practices in reef tanks, but in the wild they sprout when they wash up to the shore line, so I was assuming that they wouldn't sprout completely submerged, or would die shortly.

I also found out quickly that my magnesium consumption went up when the seedlings sprouted...I guess they use the stuff to expel the salt. I also saw some charts of tests in a 55 Gallon with and without mangroves.....they really chew up nitrates and organics eh? I had them before mostly because i thought it looked cool, I didn't realize how beneficial they really are.

Thanks Joe...BTW...I had fun at the workshop with you guys...I hope I didn't squirt too much glue on you guys :-D

~D
i really don't know what you have for a setup but they will work with or without sand. i think julian said that the roots exposed do a better job. if you have hob just stick them into the filter before the carbon or in the sump. i have some in gravel and some in sand and they both root the same. george has his in those ceramac rings and they also root. just remeber that when they sprout leaves spary them down with rodi water. other then that they are golden. what length do you want?

Old 09/19/2007, 02:48 PM
long time newbie

Quote:
Originally posted by lusenut2
Whats going on Joe. I want some. I will be at the club meeting in clermont next week. Save me a few and also if I can I would like to get that pump from ya.
okay what size do you want? and how many?

Old 09/19/2007, 03:03 PM
Registered Member

A few around 8 to 10" range would be cool. Thanks.
Old 09/19/2007, 03:04 PM
Registered Member

"what length do you want?

Heck I dunno.....does it matter? the ones you gave me before were perfect....bout 12"-18" how big do they get?
Old 09/19/2007, 03:19 PM
Parrot head

Quote:
Originally posted by JUICEY
I'm under the impression that if i stuck them in the sand in the tank, they wouldn't sprout so I tied the floss bag with 4 inches of sand in it and fastened it to the edge of the tank.
Not a mangrove expert by any stretch of the imagination but I do believe they are shaped the way they are so that when they fall from the tree the actually spear themselves into the silt/sand/mud.

Can't see that being in some sort of medium would cause them NOT to root.
Old 09/19/2007, 04:51 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mrcrab
Not a mangrove expert by any stretch of the imagination but I do believe they are shaped the way they are so that when they fall from the tree the actually spear themselves into the silt/sand/mud.

Can't see that being in some sort of medium would cause them NOT to root.
what I meant was I didn't think they would sprout if they were completely submerged in water...or maybe they would die because they couldn't expel the salt. Or will they just stretch until the top is out of the water? Maybe I should have chosen my words more carefully......sorry!

In the wild they fall down off the trees and root or float away until they wash up somewhere that is suited for growth. They do float, so if the water is too deep they wash away somewhere else. also, in the wild even if they root in a submerged area, they will still be out of the water at low tide.

Sorry....my real questions are.....If I stuck a mangrove seedling in the sand on the bottom of my tank, would the seedling remain dormant? would it sprout roots and then grow out of the water before producing leaves? Or would it sprout underwater and die?

Just curious.....I've seen them in the sand at the bottom of tanks before, but the tank wasn't very deep....it could have been a long seedling.

The 2 that I've had before already had leaves. I gave one away, and the other died(prolly cause i didn't spray the leaves off)...but it regrew from the root mass.....then died again.......it actually did that like 3 or 4 times....I gave it to a friend before I left texas.
Old 09/20/2007, 05:01 PM
long time newbie

when i find the seedlings they are floating in the water and i would say 5% of them find a spot to root. depends are where they are orginally dropped. some of the areas i go you have to push the ones out of your way that are hanging from the tree to see the ones in the water. also the mass amount that are left just dry up when they are wakes from boats etc push them too far inland. some of the places i go the hang over the road and drop onto the road. so the answer to your question would be that the head needs to be exposed but the root area can or cannot be in a substate. if you don't have a fuge with sand then find a way to hold them upright like styrofoam in the sump or if you got a hob overflow stick them in there. that's where i put them and no sand is in there and they root just fine. they will dye off if the leaves are not allowed to be washed of salt. i have some very long ones but not 24" which i think is the depth of your tank. that's why i'm asking what sizes people want. by the way there love nitrates and phosphates. george feeds his plant food that you would feed you roses etc which contains nitrates and phosphates and his grow like weeds. i'll bring a varitey of sizes and you guys just pick them out. and find out from the bars guys if they want some.

Old 09/21/2007, 06:06 AM
Broke

The head needs to stay above water if not it will die.
Old 09/21/2007, 06:15 AM
Registered Member

Joe, got a chance to swing over this evening? I didn't get a message if you left one.
Old 09/21/2007, 03:55 PM
long time newbie

got the wife highschool reunion tonight. are you going to wwc tommorow?