Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Central Oklahoma Marine Aquarium Society
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/21/2006, 08:02 PM
Registered Member

What appeals to ppl not in the hobby?

I know that most of us here are partial to reef setups, especially sps, but what do you think the general public likes to look at?

I am thinking of setting up an aquarium in a physician's waiting room and am trying to decide whether I should go FOWLER with some beautiful non-reef safe fish, or go with some easy lps and a few reef fish. Another option is trying to duplicate (those that can be together) the 'Nemo' setup for the kids.

What do you think?
Old 09/21/2006, 08:37 PM
Registered Member

So here is my 2cents based upon what I have learnt down here in dallas servicing tanks:

The thing is that a reef type setup is too hard for someone to attempt to take care of on a weekly or biweekly basis, mushrooms and such things are gonna be your best bet there. In a dr.s office setting i think that the docile, hardy reef fish are best, gobies, clowns, a yellow tang. you basically are going to have ppl who work for the doctor feeding way too much, or not enough. It is hard to keep under/overfeeding under control. Figure that the tank wont get topped off regularly, often times the emplyees will wait until it blows bubble until they will top it off, so that rules out some of the lps and inverts

hope this helps
Old 09/21/2006, 10:15 PM
Reef Fanatic

I'd say in a doctor's office, an auto-topoff setup would be critical... And they throw money around like you wouldn't believe, I can't believe that would be too much of a problem...

RK: Where only bad things happen fast...

CRAZY 4 the CRASE - Oct 13, 2007
Conf for Reef Aquarists and SW Enthusiasts
Google it - Search for: craseokc
Old 09/22/2006, 08:38 AM
My Life for Aiur!

Anything that is vibrant in color and that moves. Your best choices are things like Xenia, Green Star Polyps, Euphyllia, Kenya Tree/Colt Coral, etc. Make sure the ones you get fluoresce really well under the lights. For example, the Neon Green Finger Leather (Sinularia species). All of these are really simple to keep if you are coming in on a weekly basis. As far as fish are concerned, the more often they are out and the more colorful they are, the better. Whether you like it or not, Clownfish and Yellow Tangs are a perfect choice. It's also nice to have Somethings that is unique like a sand sifting goby. Also, when most people think of the ocean, they think of the waves. The gentle rocking of the waves is soothing. So, possibly adding a wavemaker or a set of stream style pumps on a timer/controller on each end would be great. It would allow all the corals that move to be able to sway back and forth.

With all of those elements combined, you have a stereotypical thought of the ocean in a box that is visually appealling, bright, and relatively low maintenance. Nothing like looking at the box of water watching all the corals sway back and forth with gorgeous fish darting in and out of the rocks. It would soothe any upset patients. And for those curious enough to get closer, they might find a surprise with unique creatures like a Cleaner Shrimp, or a goby picking up mouthfuls of sand and having it fall out of their gills.
Old 09/22/2006, 10:24 AM
Cycler of tanks....

Don't forget the always popular (when they see himJ) lawnmower.

I agree that the first time people see my tank, they notice the moving corals. GSP's, frogspawn, hammer, leathers, anemone, and fish. Then if they take the time, they find the other cool stuff.

Oh yea, a Flame hawk is hardy and really fun to watch.

Nobody important
Old 09/22/2006, 11:14 AM
Registered Member

ok. Thanks for the comments.
Cost is an issue right now. One of the doctors has been in practice for a year and the other (my husband) will start in Nov. So, they will buy a setup (probably my 45gal.), but don't have the money for a bunch of upgrades. I was considering getting them something longer to house fowler, but I too think non-hobbists like some corals.

I will probably be the one doing the feeding and topping off as well as all the cleaning. It's a two doc practice, so there isn't a lot of staff and none of them know anything about fish keeping. It's close to my house (really though- in this town everything is close) and I enjoy it, so it's no big deal.

I think my priority ought to be hardiness. What with kids tapping on the glass and such. I probably need to figure out a cover for the tank too. Also, if it's going to have corals, I need lower light so that we don't produce a lot of heat - the space available is rather confined.
Old 09/22/2006, 01:32 PM
Registered Member

I think I'd like to get a 4ft long tank. I was looking at glasscages and they have a 48x18x13. I kinda like this size because the depth gives me room to stack rocks and the height is shallow enough that light can reach the bottom and so can I.

Does anyone have one of these not in use? How about something similar?
Old 09/22/2006, 01:46 PM
Reef Fanatic

I would suggest you look for a used tank that's a bit bigger. For a doctor's office, 45 is pretty small. Perhaps a 75 could be tracked down? And I am sure there are some folks in the club that would help build a stand and canopy, in exchange for beer and pizza.

Sorry for reiterating, but for an office environment, the auto-topoff system is a must in the long run. (IMHO) You can set that up for as little as around 75 (float switch/outlet combo - $60 & aqua lifter & aqua lifter filter). That and a used up salt bucket - those are good as they have a lid which can keep little hands out of the inside content, maybe pH 12 kalkwasser.

Anyhow, just some thoughts.

And I think planning for some hardy corals is great. Xenia are pretty, especially to non-reefers. GSP, Kenya tree work as well. Some euphylia species should work pretty well, too... That and other LPS...

Old 09/22/2006, 08:40 PM
Registered Member

I think, for a small tank like your 45 g, an anemone with a pair of clowns will surely get all the oohs ans aahs. Provided you can put on the appropriate lights.

Should be easy to maintain with just a couple of clowns and maybe a yellow tang, a few snails for clean-up.

I have an LTA that survives rather well with weekly feedings of cyclopease or Kent Microvert.
Old 09/23/2006, 09:50 AM
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally posted by zoomfish1
I think, for a small tank like your 45 g, an anemone with a pair of clowns will surely get all the oohs ans aahs. Provided you can put on the appropriate lights.
I have to agree here, before I ever got into keeping fishies, it was the clowns and anemones that appealed to me, also hooked my mother and 11 year old brother into the hobby. I think a pair of Ocellaris would go nicely

Click on my homepage to be taken to my RC Blog!
Old 09/23/2006, 12:13 PM
Non Premium Member

While i agree that the anemone and clowns would be most appealing to the public, that is one of the worst things you could do. Too many people have been brought into this hobby by the same vision, and try to set up a tank with an anemone and clowns right off the bat. We all know that is the worst thing a newby can do if they want to enjoy the hobby instead of fight with it until they give up in frustration.

You could very cheaply and easily set up a GSP and Xenia forest with a few nemo's that would dazzle everyone. Lord knows you can hardly kill either of those corals, so a little neglect on occassion would be forgiven. Only need moderate lighting, so the heat won't be an issue. I would also add a yellow watchman goby for the kids to watch dig in the sand, then after it has been up and matured a while, add a hippo tang, so you have Nemo and Dory for the kids.
Old 09/23/2006, 01:23 PM
Team RC Member

baby oil, HA!

Click on my homepage to be taken to my RC Blog!
Old 09/23/2006, 11:01 PM
Registered Member

I measured the little closet area that would house the tank. It's 60"L x 26"W x 80"H (the last doesn't really matter, but that's it). So, I need to be able to get to things so a 4ft. long tank is about max. If I can fit the sump and things under the stand, then I may be able to use some of the back space for storage. There are two electrical outlets - one on each end of the 5 feet and an overhead flourescent light.

Fish:
2 Clownfish
1 Royal Gramma
1 yellow tang (maybe)
1 yellow tail damsel (maybe)
goby

Critters:
cleaner shrimp
snails
hermits

Corals:
gsp
xenia
button polyps
zoos
kenya tree
mushrooms
anemone (after a few months)

Other Live Stuff:
rock
sand
crushed coral (for sump)

Most of this stuff will come from my existing 45gal.(not the right size), in fact, it's basically the same setup just a different size tank. I don't think my 3ft tank would look good in that size of an opening. Plus, I'd like to have a shallower tank if I can't easily access any other side.
Old 09/24/2006, 03:53 PM
Reef Fanatic

Sounds like your plans are coming along nicely. Keep us updated!

Old 09/25/2006, 05:25 PM
Registered Member

I had another thought. I would do the hardiest most colorful corals that are simple and easy to care for. Asfor fish, why not do something a little different like a lionfish or snowflake eel? I know that would limit additions in the future, but it would be different, especially if you drop an occasional acclimated molly or two in there.
Old 09/25/2006, 08:55 PM
Non Premium Member

You have to be careful about putting anything in there that some brat kid could possibly climb up and reach in and get hurt on while mom is busy on her cell phone. It is called an attractive nuisance. You also need to put a chain on the back of the cabinet that is bolted to the wall behind the tank, to keep it from being pulled over.
Old 09/25/2006, 11:00 PM
TOTM October 2007

Lionfish carry a liability you may not want. Avoid poisonous, stinging, and other noxious creatures.

Go for color movement and shape variety.

Personally, ease would be my priority.

Green stars, xenia, leathers, mushrooms, zooanthids.

Damsels, wrasses, royal gramas, maybe clowns

Shrimp, brittle stars, fan worms, hermits, snails

Those would be my suggestions.

The very things I started with in this hobby myself....nice and easy, pleasing to look at and colorful.
Old 09/26/2006, 01:35 AM
Reef Fanatic

Good calls, Paul...

And Stephanie, let me know when you get setup and are ready for some corals. I would be glad to donate some Zoanthids, Ricordea, etc, to your project...

Old 09/26/2006, 08:28 AM
My Life for Aiur!

Ever thought about adding something that made noise? Something like a Pistol Shrimp? I can imagine a waiting room of people that aren't looking at the tank (veteran patients), and all of the sudden they hear a loud pop and look at the tank. They might then go to inspect it.
Old 09/26/2006, 09:08 AM
Reef Fanatic

Or they might wet their pants, fall out of their chair, or have a heart attack...

Sorry to be gloomy gus...

Old 09/26/2006, 09:09 AM
My Life for Aiur!

Quote:
Originally posted by captbunzo
Or they might wet their pants, fall out of their chair, or have a heart attack...
... because they thought the tank cracked!
Old 09/26/2006, 09:11 AM
Reef Fanatic

Hmmnn, tanks cracking, THAT never happens...

Old 09/26/2006, 06:05 PM
Registered Member

If you put in a pistol shrimp go for a shrimp goby as well. They're antics together are cute. BTW I suggested the lionfish just to put something different out there. But several of the rebuttals bring up a good point. I would put a canopy on it for sure and maybe even a lock. It would be the best way to keep unwanted hands and objects out of the tank. The last thing you want with corals is for some kid to turn it into a wishing well and drop pennies into it.
Old 09/26/2006, 11:12 PM
Non Premium Member

I didn't mean to spread gloom in my last post lol, but i have owned and ran a few bussinesses, and liability is no joke. You have to assume that every person that walks in the door may have an IQ of around 14 lol. You basically assume responsibility for thier stupidity when they walk through the door. My bosse's insurance had to pay over 30k to a lady because her kid sewed his finger while the tech was in the back fixing her sewing machine and she was out front supervising her own kid. You have to be prepared for a 3 year old hanging on the front edge with one hand while swinging that sippy cup he brought in with him at the front glass, while his little sister is dropping all her pennies in the sump and mom has an important phone call from a girlfriend all at the same time lol. Either that or get some really good insurance.

It's sad but it is the way things are unfortunatly.