Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Central Oklahoma Marine Aquarium Society
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/13/2006, 10:41 PM
Registered Member

Live Rock ?????

anyone bought live rock from http://www.oceanproaquatics.com ??

they have some really neet looking rock and good prices also. Some of the rock on there i've never heard of and am curious about, like...pukani and raina. the rock looks neat and has alot of color. Im not sure about the site and there quality of rock so if anyone has had any transactions with them how was it and how was the rock???
Thanks!!!!!!

By the way rock that has just been cured is $ 8 a pound here! thats crazy for rock with nothing on it, just out of the curing tank!! HELP!!!!
Old 09/14/2006, 09:36 AM
My Life for Aiur!

Wow! $8/pound? Prices on Live Rock has dropped a lot in most areas of Oklahoma. Many places in Tulsa and OKC sell for about $5/lb for Fiji Live Rock (Uncured)
Old 09/14/2006, 12:53 PM
Registered Member

the bad thing is that $ 8 a pound sells around here!! there arent any LFS to compete with. I think that everything here is way overpriced, small yellow tangs are $45. I hear about them selling around the $25 dollar area in okc. i dont think the knowledge is here either, when i set up my reef i was told to go with a canister filter. They dont know anything about sumps or fuges. Im glad this site is on the net im learning alot!!! thanks everyone!!!
Old 09/14/2006, 01:03 PM
Premium Member

While we are on the subject... Wouldn't it be better to buy your rock from a big supplier and get it shipped almost direct too you and cure it yourself? That way you get to keep all the beneficial stuff ( and im sure some of the bad stuff). Then to buy it from the LFS which has cured it and alot of the better things are now in there tanks? I'm not saying this because of the cost I'm just thinking you would end up with more that came directly from the ocean.
Old 09/14/2006, 06:08 PM
Premium Member

Bump... Anyone have thoughts or opinions on this?
Old 09/14/2006, 09:20 PM
Registered Member

the raina simply apppears to be coral skeletons of blue ridge coral, Heliopora coerulea

their pic:

other pics

I'm not paying $4/lb for the same thing stores sell as dead coral decorations

Just my $0.02
Old 09/14/2006, 10:02 PM
Registered Member

As a store owner I can tell you this...our live rock shipments come in with fish and/or corals. When we are unpacking 10-20 boxes of fish/corals/rock every week the last thing on our mind is the mushroom rider on the rock. I'm sure our store is like all other stores, the rock gets picked out of the boxes as quickly as possibly and gets put into holding tanks so we can get on to other things [acclimating fish, dipping corals, helping customers, etc.]. Everyone on rc would probably be sick to see the behind the scenes of what actually happens day in and day out in retail fish stores. I remember when Greg started to work for us, he was saving every polyp and sifting through rubble rock looking for "goodies". Not anymore [sorry Greg - -BUSTED!]. Now it's a huge job to manage the daily tasks that come with every store. During water changes in our reef system floating polyps often get siphoned out of our system...OOPS that sucks but I have 2 people waiting for their water tested, some guy that needs me to show him how to hook up an RO, and I need to explain to this lady why her 17 damsels in a 20 gallon tank are dying courtesy of PETCO...uhoh SLANDER? [that's what I meant about making some folks sick!].
Old 09/14/2006, 10:02 PM
Registered Member

do you not think that there may be some live corals left on it?? i bought some fiji and 5 months later i had some sort of coral start poping up?
Old 09/14/2006, 10:26 PM
Registered Member

The beauty and frustration of the reefkeeping hobby is over the years you will find "things" popping up that you never knew were there ["cured" or not cured]. IMO "cured" is a very loosely used word in our industry.
Old 09/15/2006, 08:08 AM
Registered Member

I've ordered from oceanpro and my experience wasn't that great. The only way to get the rock to you for 'cheap' is if they ship it FedEx ground. I tried this is a 48lb box and it was a waste of money. By the time the rock gets to you its almost completely dried out. If you call them and ask 'will the rock still be fresh when it arrives?', they will tell you yes .. but trust me, it isn’t. They also advertised (at the time) that every order received a 'free' gift. My free gift was a single dead blue leg hermit .. that sure was nice of them.
Old 09/15/2006, 09:56 AM
Registered Member

ouch!! ok scratch that idea!! i guess i'll keep looking, any good places in okc to buy rock? where does everyone buy rock ( that dont make it) and what are the prices? i need 50-100 more pounds.