Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/01/2008, 12:40 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr..Tang
yea I would like to see some pics of broken parts. I wonder if some people are bias to sureflow????
I've got three GS2's running on a wavemaker now for 2 months with no humming, no vibrations, nothing.

Yea and for $38, I got magnets for all three!!!!
They worked fine for me for a couple of months = now one chatters like a big dog. Can't see trimming the prop - it's a medium on a 1200 (new).

The other one is still working fine Maybe it's just a matter of time until it goes. Waiting to see what Triton says, may try an AF kit & see what happens.

Swapped shaft (carbon fiber), maxis, the little washers - you name it = nothing helped. Prop looked in good condition
Old 01/01/2008, 03:22 PM
Registered Member

i haven't kept up with this thread for a while, how is everyone's GS2 performing? Anyone had problems? I have the high flow kit and it seems to be doing great, i don't run it on a wavemaker.
Old 01/01/2008, 03:24 PM
Registered Member

I have two running on a maintenance account and one on my home tank. All are doing well, the one in my tank is running on a seio wavetimer.
Old 01/02/2008, 12:28 AM
Premium Member

seagirl... I think we got our GS IIs about the same time... mine have been running just fine now since I got them....just a slight hum from the motor but no chattering, clanking or stopping...are you running the high flow or medium flow version and what size tank do you have?
Old 01/02/2008, 12:30 AM
Premium Member

also ... how does everyone have the maxijet mods, no matter which one you have, positioned in your tank for the best use of the flow?
Old 01/02/2008, 09:08 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by seagirl
i haven't kept up with this thread for a while, how is everyone's GS2 performing? Anyone had problems? I have the high flow kit and it seems to be doing great, i don't run it on a wavemaker.
See above, purchased on 10-29.....crapped out yesterday. One is still running fine. They were on intervals....but long ones, like 15 minutes.
Old 01/02/2008, 09:45 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jennmac415
also ... how does everyone have the maxijet mods, no matter which one you have, positioned in your tank for the best use of the flow?
I have mine placed up high in the back corner aimed towards the far side of front glass angled slightly down. Basically almost aimed kitty-corner.
Old 01/02/2008, 10:00 AM
Registered Member

I've 2 GSII and 1 SF 1600 running without any problem. I've the 2 GS mounted as high as I can without sucking air down but one of them constantly shift and does suck air down. The SF is mounted lower and sitting on top of a rock as the mount wasn't holding and while I was waiting for the mags to come in but it's doing well and didn't want to change anything.

I also have 2 K4s and a Tunze 6000 on a controller and they are all running well and so far haven't had any issue yet.
Old 01/02/2008, 10:28 AM
Registered Member

I have 4 SureFlow figh-flow modded MJs in my 220 with two SureGrip magnets, each one holding two MJ's. I've got them placed vertically, one on the back glass at each end of the tank. The ball-joints on the mounting brackets allow me to direct flow pretty much wherever I want it. I did run into the "air-sucking" problem like flameangel88, so I had to lower them a bit more. I keep the two bottom MJs tilted up and angled toward the center of the tank for surface agitation and the top 2 pumps are directed slightly downward and flow is aimed at the front glass tward the center of the tank. I've got these 4 running on a Reef Fanatic Wave Creator and they work amazingly well.
Old 01/02/2008, 10:39 AM
Registered Member

Oh, and I use the SureGrip 50 magnets, not the 100's, but they work fine on my tank's 1/2" glass. I just took off the 4 little rubber feet from each side and it holds both pumps with no problems and no shifting when the wavemaker kicks on/off.
Old 01/02/2008, 10:49 AM
Registered Member

I may have to put mag on the GSII that shifts. I got the XL cleaning mag from Petco (I think it was like $10.99)...the quality is poor but it should have no problem holding the pump.
Old 01/02/2008, 10:57 AM
Registered Member

clevengergl

How do you like your reef fanatic??? I currently have three GS2's running on a natural wavemaker and it seems to do well. But I would love something better. Could you give us a quick overview of your wavemaker????
pro's
cons
if any preset modes
adjustability

anything else you can think of
Old 01/02/2008, 11:28 AM
Registered Member

Well, I lucked out and got mine from an LFS as an even trade for a Lemonpeel Angel, Valentini Puffer, and GSM clownfish, but I know that Premium Aquatics sells them.

I really like mine. Granted, I've no basis for comparison as this is the first wavemaker I've owned, but it's really nice. It's got 4 outlets - one constant, 3 variable and it has a dip-switch setting that allows you to choose 0ne of 8 different wavemaking patterns, including a completely random setting. It then has a small dial that you can use to increase/decrease the length of time between flow changes as well as a feed button, which turns the pump off for feeding and automatically turns the wavemaker back on again after 10 minutes. It also has a feature called "Night mode" which uses a light sensor to detect when your lights go out and is supposed to decrease the voltage to the pumps and slow down flow at night, Haven't really checked that feature much, but overall it's really well-built.
Old 01/02/2008, 02:34 PM
Premium Member

clevegergl... do you have a pic of what you were talking about regarding the placement...and also how you have 2 on one magnet? thanks! it all got a little confusing...at least for this old lady! LOL
Old 01/02/2008, 02:55 PM
Registered Member

http://www.toofishy.com/reef_aquariu...t-p-80439.html

scroll down to see picture of dual pump holder.
Old 01/02/2008, 03:17 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
seagirl... I think we got our GS IIs about the same time... mine have been running just fine now since I got them....just a slight hum from the motor but no chattering, clanking or stopping...are you running the high flow or medium flow version and what size tank do you have?
yeah, think we got them the same time. I am running the high flow. i have a bb tank and it is located at the bottom pointing across the tank (std. 75 gal) so it keeps anything from settling along the back. Mine chattered a couple times when i first got it, but quiet now.
Old 01/02/2008, 04:43 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
clevegergl... do you have a pic of what you were talking about regarding the placement...and also how you have 2 on one magnet? thanks! it all got a little confusing...at least for this old lady! LOL
LOL! Sorry about that; I re-read my post and think I might have confused myself!

Here are some pics:

Old 01/02/2008, 05:10 PM
Premium Member

ah-ha! Now this old lady "gets" it...couldn't visualize 2 maxijets on the same magnet ..one on top of the tank and one on the bottom... was thinking more of them being horizonal instead of vertical... old age limits your brain funtion ya know...lol
thanks! I am going to think about this for me tank...right now only running 2 GS2s at medium speed, high seemed too much for only 2, but 4 at medium or even 3 at medium might just be the ticket...
Old 01/02/2008, 05:11 PM
Premium Member

oh... great tank by the way too!
Old 01/02/2008, 07:53 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
oh... great tank by the way too!
Thank you! It's still a really young tank, but it's getting there!!!
Old 01/03/2008, 12:42 PM
Premium Member

ok, well today one of my GS2s is humming quite a bit louder than before ... what should I do?
Old 01/03/2008, 12:42 PM
Premium Member

ok, well today one of my GS2s is humming quite a bit louder than before ... what should I do?
Old 01/03/2008, 12:43 PM
Premium Member

sorry dbl post
Old 01/03/2008, 04:54 PM
Registered Member

Mine began chattering the other night I had to get up and unplug it as it was keeping me up(im about 10 feet from my tank) I returned from work and plugged it back in and is silent 2 days running. I believe earlier in the thread there is a suggestion to run it out of water. Then you could always pull the prop out and start over. Or shaving the prop but that would seem to be a last resort deal.
Old 01/03/2008, 04:54 PM
RC Staff

This thread was automatically split due to performance issues. You can find the rest of the thread here: http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1285176