Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/10/2007, 05:47 PM
Registered Member

My Pipes Are Leaking!! haha

Hey guys,
I filled up my tank today and when i turned on the pump for the first time some water dropplets startes to appear on 2 of the connections that were glued with PVC cememnt. I turnedthe pump off and then tried to add some cement to the outside of the PVC and let that dry but a couple hours later when I tried again the water appeared in the same 2 places. Is there anything else I can do to get the PVC to seal?

Thanks,
Claudio Cowdrey #13
Old 12/10/2007, 06:07 PM
Registered Member

Pipe puddy might work. They have it a HD. It comes in two tubes and when mixed starts to harden. Wrap it around the pipe and smooth it around the fitting. Good luck I hope it doesn't need to be re-done.
Old 12/10/2007, 06:20 PM
Registered Member

It wont work on the outside. You need to cut the joints out and re-glue new ones on . glue both sides
Old 12/10/2007, 06:29 PM
Registered Member

doubletap is right. if one thing can be said about water, its that if theres a way through, water will find it. when glueing on the outside of a pipe it is almost impossible to eliminate all the air bubbles. as the glue dries, the ends dry first curling *** it retracts, the bubbles are also pushed outward. none of this can be seen as its way to small a difference to tell and i hope you dont have the time to watch it dry. the only way to assure a clean seal is to cut and re-glue. good luck
-Paul
Old 12/10/2007, 06:30 PM
Registered Member

lol! i diddnt mean to curse in the last post. that word was supposed to be "as"
Old 12/10/2007, 06:34 PM
Registered Member

Either re-cut or Try wet set glue it usually works on the outside of pipes as long as there is no pressure. It can be found at any local plumbing supply shop. I know because im a plumber
Old 12/10/2007, 06:46 PM
Registered Member

i dont know if this will be a problem for you, but if you dont have much flexibility, you can buy connectors that are designed to repair broken underground pipes. they extend and retract so that you can fit the right length. ya just cut like your gonna to installing a collar, only this eliminates any awkward connections and weird angles.
Old 12/10/2007, 08:13 PM
Premium Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by doubletap4311
It wont work on the outside. You need to cut the joints out and re-glue new ones on . glue both sides
agreed
Old 12/11/2007, 10:21 AM
Registered Member

I cut out the bad join and set a new one last night....I'm gonna let it dry all today and then try it out tomorrow..hopefully this time it seals properly!!

Thanks for all the help!!

Claudio Cowdrey #13
Old 12/11/2007, 10:27 AM
Premium Member

I had a leak a little while ago, I shut off the system for about an hour and a half, put a bead of aquarium silicone around the joint, smoothed it, and put a heater on it. An hour later, the silicone was fairly cured, I wrapped the whole mess in electrical tape, and started researching new parts. I'll install it when the current "quick-fix" fails.
Old 12/11/2007, 11:04 AM
Team RC Member

Sometimes, for a very minor leak that's more sweating than leaking, you can give the joint a tenement 'necktie' of washcloth. It will evaporate the water without allowing a drip and the drying salt/calcium will eventually fill the gap. If you're in a place where a tiny leak doesn't matter [and where you have a backup floor drain] that's a decent stopgap.

"Make haste slowly." ---Augustus.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.