Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/29/2006, 02:32 AM
Registered Member

Ozone poisoning?

2 Ozone ?'s

1) What are the first signs of ozone poisoning?

2) How fast should 100mg per hour raise the ORP in a 360 gallon system?

It was 302-307 before O3. Now w/ O3 running for 48 hours ORP fluctuates between 298 and 310. It is hard to tell if water is clearer from the O3 or all the GAC. Either way it is not much clearer, yet.............
Old 06/29/2006, 04:08 AM
Registered Member

100mg for a 360g tank might not be enough. and sometimes it takes longer depending on the water quality. but as long as you are adding it, it should be okay. from my experience. I am using 100mg for my150g tank. It does go up faster once I change my water. from what I read and on my tank. the ozone should be used up in the skimmer itself. I don't run carbon anyway. And trust me. I see a huge difference in the color of my water. it is much more blue.
Old 06/29/2006, 01:45 PM
Registered Member

ddboy thanks for the info..I agree the 100mg is too small but the price was right.

What a difference a day makes ORP up to 24 points to 334.

I thought I read you had to run the efflluent from the skimmer through carbon so that the residuel O3 wouldn't enter the main tank. I could easily be wrong on this, anyone else have input?
Old 06/29/2006, 07:49 PM
Ozone Sniffer

The carbon is to ensure that you dont let any free ozone into the tank. It is cheap insurance, and the tank could probably use the carbon anyway If you smell ozone, run the skimmer discharge air through some carbon, too.

I enjoy the smell of ozone, but the more I read, it IS bad for you.

I have an ozone lamp in my HVAC system that I will turn on once in awhile. It helps clear the air. I usually run it on a timer when leaving the house. Restoration companies use ozone for clearing the smell from house fires, floods, etc. We have a large ozone generator on our trash compactor at work, and it works wonders.

"Be sure and wear a speedo lest tangs nest in your britches"
Old 06/30/2006, 07:51 AM
I play with water

Quote:
Originally posted by H20ENG
I enjoy the smell of ozone....
Well, that certainly explains some things.

Brett
Old 06/30/2006, 10:31 AM
Ozone Sniffer

Well I dont exactly Huff the stuff, but yeah, it could explain a few things!
Funny, my wife even said once while we were walking by the sea lion pool filtration at Marine World, "That smell is ozone, huh?" A good woman is hard to find!

"Be sure and wear a speedo lest tangs nest in your britches"
Old 06/30/2006, 11:42 AM
CDMAS Member

Not only is the carbon useful at keeping the residual ozone out of the tank, but it's also used to keep the other toxic byproducts out. These are refered to as ozone produced oxidants (OPOs, such as bromate, hypobromous acid, etc.) Take a look at these two excellent articles by Randy Holmes-Farley.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-03/rhf/index.php

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-04/rhf/index.php