Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > NorthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Long Island Reef Association (LIRA)

Old 03/27/2006, 09:01 PM
Registered Member

LIRA visitors to Atlantis overview

Hey,
This has recently come up so I thought I'd post for all LIRA folks to review.

Being a member of LIRA has many benefits at Atlantis, but it does not entitle the LIRA members to free admission or price breaks during their regular visits. (Just as an aside, an Atlantis membership pays for itself in two visits, and if you decide you want to become a member, you can deduct your admission that day off the membership).

We do have Family Fun Day, which does entitle LIRA members/ family memberships to free admission on that day and price discounts in the gift shop, cafe, tour boat, etc.
If there are other events like NERAC, "Night on the Reef" etc, those too are free admission.
If LIRA members do visit on other occasions, they can certainly ask if I'm available or the other fish guys are available for a quick peek behind the scenes. Most times we are, but there are going to be times when we're short staffed/ or too busy, especially if its an unscheduled visit.
If anyone has any questions, be sure to ask and thanks.
Joe
Old 03/27/2006, 10:30 PM
Premium Member

Sounds reasonable. What are those other free events?
Old 03/28/2006, 12:46 AM
Premium Member

A group of us came to Atlantis on Sunday...what a blast!
Old 03/28/2006, 06:02 AM
RC Staff
American

This thread is Stuck

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved

at the same level of thinking we were at when we

created them." Albert Einstein

I'm pretty sure it's Mike's fault.....
Old 04/03/2006, 07:30 AM
Premium Member

Hay Joe,
How about giving us a discount to Disney World while your at it, better yet can you get us in fort free. I have had my membership to Atlantis for two years and it is worth the price. I even sprung for the family plus plan which allows unlimited visits for the grand parents as well giving them something to do with the kids or in my case child when they visit.
Old 04/19/2006, 08:37 AM
Grouch Potato

I've been a member for 5 years.

Stop in almost every time we're in Riverhead. My boy loves it there.
Old 05/14/2006, 12:34 PM
Registered Member

That reef you guys have there is amazing. The fish are HUGE.

My suggestion - ditch the sharks and make an even bigger reef with EVERYTHING.
Old 06/27/2006, 10:00 PM
Registered Member

Wink ATLANTIS

Hi Joe
I visited the Atlantis the other day.I took my wife and 2 grandchrildren.We all had a wonderful day and joined the Grand parents club we definetly will return.After going their and seeing your tanks I have to add some Corals to my tank.

Matt
Old 07/25/2007, 04:21 PM
Premium Member

What are the rules for family fun day? Can u bring the whole family as an individual LIRA member?
Old 09/28/2007, 03:49 PM
Registered Member

AMW is pure rock & roll! *thumbs up*
Old 10/29/2007, 09:43 PM
Premium Member

Hey all, I just stumbled upon this forum. I visited Atlantis last year and the reef display truly is amazing. It is a bit of a trek for me as I live in brooklyn. Anyway, it made me nostalgic for institutional aquaria as i used to be a volunteer docent at the NY aquarium in coney island in my high school days LOL.
Brooklyn aquarium society doesnt look active on RC... weird.
Are all LIRA members residents of LI? I'm considering membership but would it be awkward? as i dont live there per se.

ciao.
Old 10/29/2007, 10:12 PM
Obsessive Compulsive

It would be a bit more driving for you, as our general meeting location is off exit 53 (if I remember correctly..) on the LIE, but it would not be awkward in the least bit. Would be glad to have you there.
Old 10/29/2007, 10:47 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tadashi123
Hey all, I just stumbled upon this forum. I visited Atlantis last year and the reef display truly is amazing. It is a bit of a trek for me as I live in brooklyn. Anyway, it made me nostalgic for institutional aquaria as i used to be a volunteer docent at the NY aquarium in coney island in my high school days LOL.
Brooklyn aquarium society doesnt look active on RC... weird.
Are all LIRA members residents of LI? I'm considering membership but would it be awkward? as i dont live there per se.

ciao.
I was at NYA from '87-'95, when were you there? All coralaholics are welcome, and Atlantis extends some fun stuff to all active LIRA members.
Old 11/02/2007, 10:02 PM
Premium Member

hi joe and corpus, thanks for the warm words of encouragement.

joe, i believe i volunteered as a docent in the summer of 95. it was the summer before i had started my senior year... and i believe right about when the belugas were moved to another facility because one of the cows was pregnant. the director of the program was barbara if i recall correctly... a petite brunette. One of the perks was our allocation of 1 free can of soda LOL. and then there was a scavenger contest at the end of the summer... those were some fun times. I usually manned the stingray touch tank with a megaphone LOL and then did the horseshoe crab touch tank inside when it was unbearably hot outside.

Anyway, NYA is a first rate institution. Kudos for your tenure there!