Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reefkeeping Online Magazine > Tank of the Month

Old 09/08/2007, 08:14 AM
Registered Member

Amazing tank!! and great write up! Your tank is what everyone in this hobby hopes to one day be able to achieve. It really can’t get any nicer than that.
Congratulations!!
Old 09/08/2007, 09:15 AM
Registered Member

BEAUTIFUL! Congrats on TOTM! Did you paint the back of your glass purple or blue? Glows such a nice color! I've thought about doing that, but just hate to do it and then wish I hadn't. Love the tank stand and canopy- is it knotty pine? That's what our's is and I love it.
Old 09/08/2007, 10:49 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by acropora nut
The Mag media I use is from Zeovit...C O 2 breaks it down in your calcium reactor....

Mike
do you have a website to buy these?
Thanks Joe

also is there a certain amount to add to the reactor!!
Old 09/08/2007, 10:58 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Thx's Menard...

The 12k's are awsome for color......

Mike
do you think the 12k reeflux has as good of growth as the 10k???
Old 09/08/2007, 11:40 AM
Premium Member

Congrats! Beautiful tank!
Old 09/08/2007, 11:55 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ronharel
Hi Mike
you may missed my reply
I am really interested in the skimmer changes that you made since it's the heart of the system and it may be a factor for choosing a skimmer

The TDNW300 Octopus was a great skimmer and I ran it for about year, but I wanted to try the new Reeflo skimmer because of the single pump that draws only 85 watts. The reeflo pump can last 25 years and is repairable while the octopus skimmer has 3 pumps that draw 65 watts each and the pumps are through away after a few years of use.

I hope this helps you out...

Mike
Old 09/08/2007, 01:06 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Hendersonracing
do you think the 12k reeflux has as good of growth as the 10k???
You are always going to have better growth with a 10k..The 12k Reeflux is a great bulb..I would sacrifice a little growth for the insane colors these bulbs produce...

Thx's again

Mike
Old 09/08/2007, 01:38 PM
Registered Member

thanks Mike good talking with you!! your tank is awsome...I think you said Dave took the pictures, I was wondering if he could chime in and tell us a little about his settings and camera?

thanks Joe
Old 09/08/2007, 02:13 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by marino420td
One of the most amazing tanks I have ever seen! I have been eagerly awaiting the TOTM article since following your post in the sps forum.

Don't take this the wrong way but I think the coralline algae on the front panel distracts from the beauty of this tank.

The coralline algae has been a huge problem with my system....It is everywhere. The front of the tank is extremely hard to clean because of all the over grown corals...Trust me I wish I could get rid of it on the front glass..

Thx's again

Mike
Old 09/08/2007, 02:23 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Laddy
I noticed a series of fans built onto the back of the hood and on the side. Do you have these wired to come on with the lights, or are they on a separate timer?

Nice tank, by the way.
Fans are sent on separate timers....The fans and lights come on at the same time..When the lights shut off I keep the fan's running for 10 to 15 min's extra.This insures that the chiller doesn't come back on....

I hope this help's..

Thx's Mike
Old 09/08/2007, 02:26 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
thanks Mike good talking with you!! your tank is awsome...I think you said Dave took the pictures, I was wondering if he could chime in and tell us a little about his settings and camera?

thanks Joe
Jim(Bubbletip2) and Renee took the pic's..

Mike
Old 09/08/2007, 02:27 PM
Premium Member

Quote:

thanks Joe
Hey Joe,

I would be more than happy to give some insight on what I accomplished. Renee Julia is the other photographer that worked with Mike on his TOTM pics. I am going to PM you with my phone # so we can talk more specifically about your gear and how to use it.

I don't have the time right now, but I will chime in later and give my thoughts on shooting Mike's tank particularly while under the 12K Reeflux bulbs. These bulbs are truly responsible for the vivid color and easier editing I experienced. I now have a 250w on my 30g and will be using 2 - 400w bulbs for my new tank. The abiltiy to take great pictures is an additional deciding factor in going with the 12K reeflux. I now feel the bulb you shoot under is 1/2 the battle in getting some quality pics.

Jim M.

more to come...
Old 09/08/2007, 02:29 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dc
Gee, if you're moving to Utah I can come and see it.
Where do you live in Wyoming????

Mike
Old 09/08/2007, 02:34 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TJ
BEAUTIFUL! Congrats on TOTM! Did you paint the back of your glass purple or blue? Glows such a nice color! I've thought about doing that, but just hate to do it and then wish I hadn't. Love the tank stand and canopy- is it knotty pine? That's what our's is and I love it.
The backing built into the tank..The color is blue..Yes the stand and canopy are made out of knotty pine . My wife and chose that wood so it would match the other furniture in the room..

Thx's

Mike
Old 09/08/2007, 03:55 PM
secretary of NCPARS

do think i should run reeflux 12 k ,250 watt or 400 watt on a 180 gal standard size reef,mostly sps.i am running 175 now.thanks your input would be appreciated.Dan
Old 09/08/2007, 04:31 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bubbletip2
Hey Joe,

I would be more than happy to give some insight on what I accomplished. Renee Julia is the other photographer that worked with Mike on his TOTM pics. I am going to PM you with my phone # so we can talk more specifically about your gear and how to use it.

I don't have the time right now, but I will chime in later and give my thoughts on shooting Mike's tank particularly while under the 12K Reeflux bulbs. These bulbs are truly responsible for the vivid color and easier editing I experienced. I now have a 250w on my 30g and will be using 2 - 400w bulbs for my new tank. The abiltiy to take great pictures is an additional deciding factor in going with the 12K reeflux. I now feel the bulb you shoot under is 1/2 the battle in getting some quality pics.

Jim M.

more to come...

man Im telling everyone these guys are the real deal...so helpful and polite.....Jim Ill talk to you tonight! you rock!

Joe
Old 09/08/2007, 05:15 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rigleautomotive
do think i should run reeflux 12 k ,250 watt or 400 watt on a 180 gal standard size reef,mostly sps.i am running 175 now.thanks your input would be appreciated.Dan
Depending on what you want to accomplish will determine what wattage bulb to use...400w bulbs will create a lot of heat in a 180 and will probably require a chiller unless you have some amazing ventilation ..But you will get the best growth ..You still will will get good growth with a 250w and a lot less heat..I hope this helps...If you have any other questions feel free to give me a shout....

Mike
Old 09/08/2007, 05:23 PM
secretary of NCPARS

thanks mike,its not every day you meet a guy willing to share his secrets.truly amazing and the best tank i have seen in 15 years.
thanks Dan
Old 09/08/2007, 08:22 PM
Premium Member

looks great!! nice writing skills as well
Old 09/08/2007, 08:42 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by manosdr
Congrats Mike, very nice tank!!!

Thx's for the comment...

Mike
Old 09/08/2007, 08:46 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ssbreef
Amazing tank!! and great write up! Your tank is what everyone in this hobby hopes to one day be able to achieve. It really can’t get any nicer than that.
Congratulations!!
Thank you very much..for your kind words..

Mike
Old 09/09/2007, 09:47 AM
Moved In

Quote:
Where do you live in Wyoming????

Mike
Evanston, it's on the SW border next to Utah. I live closer to most stuff in Utah than I do anything in Wyoming.

Powertripping~is that a song or a dance?

RC Lounge~Humor Questionable ~Enter At Own Risk!

Last edited by dc; 09/09/2007 at 09:55 AM.
Old 09/09/2007, 10:05 AM
Premium Member

We are going to live in Heber or park City.... We drive through Evanston all the time when we visit Utah...I 80..

Mike....
Old 09/09/2007, 10:07 AM
Moved In

I really like Heber, Park City is fun to shop tho. We go to the Farmers Market on Weds in Park City. I used to live in Vernal, went to Salt Lake all the time.

Powertripping~is that a song or a dance?

RC Lounge~Humor Questionable ~Enter At Own Risk!
Old 09/09/2007, 10:09 AM
Premium Member

Where do you get you corals in Wyoming ????

Mike