Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment

Old 12/28/2007, 01:45 PM
Registered Member

reeflux 12k/10k par difference

Does anyone know what the par difference is between the two? I currently have the reeflux 12k and was thinking of switching to the 10k or the xm 10k. What would be the better choice?
Old 12/28/2007, 02:01 PM
Registered Member

The Par differences are listed on Sanjays site for some or the SE versions. Are you talking about the DE or the SE and what wattage? I can tell you that the difference is signfigant for all wattages and both socket types with the 10000K definitely having the higher par. For 250 watt DE, the 12 K (which I have) has a bluer look, quite a bit bluer actually eventhough it's not a super blue bulb ... compared to the Reeflux 10K. I think it probably has a bluer look than the XM 10K as well, but I dont use and havent used the XM bulb. Just going by descriptions of the XM. Have to let the XM users chime in for details. Either way, you will gain PAR going from the Reeflux 12000K to either of those 10000K bulbs.
Old 12/28/2007, 02:09 PM
Resident physicist.

Yeah, google sanjay lighting and choose the first one, that's his page, the PAR of each depends on your ballast, if you dont have one listed, simply leave that field blank to see the values of all of the ballasts, and choose what most closely mimics yours.

The 10k reeflux will really make blues come out in corals, however it will be MUCH more par than the 12k so take the approriate steps to make sure you don't bleach your corals out.

The 10k XM I didn't like because they looked too yellow for me, but that may have been a ballast issue.
Old 12/28/2007, 02:20 PM
secretary of NCPARS

http://www.reeflightinginfo.arvixe.com/index.htm

here is the link
Old 12/28/2007, 07:02 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the replys. I have a se 250 on a pfo ballast which I believe is a tar style. I also run 2 96w pc sunpaq dual actinic which I think by changing to the 10k would really give me the look and growth I'm looking for.
Old 12/28/2007, 07:08 PM
secretary of NCPARS

no problem,glad to help.i really love the 12k reeflux on a coral vue ballast.i am sure other ballasts will give similar results.
Old 12/28/2007, 08:13 PM
Registered Member

So does that mean that growth is better with the 10k?
Old 12/28/2007, 09:21 PM
secretary of NCPARS

i dont think that has been proven to be true.some say higher par equals faster growth.some say higher kelvin equals better color.i think water quality is the most important factor for growth and color.but some very low par bulbs seem to produce a more spindally growth in sps .i have not seen an appreciable difference between 12 k and 10 k reeflux bulbs in color or growth