Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment

Old 09/27/2007, 08:23 PM
Registered Member

What is a good skimmer for a 55g

Hey i'm looking for a nice skimmer for my 55g I would like something that is rated for like 125+ gallons, In sump and everything else lol Only probblem is i need to stay around 100... but i still wanna get the job over done! If there is something that is really good that is alittle more i'll wait and buy it when i get more money.

Thank you!

Nick
Old 09/27/2007, 08:25 PM
Registered Member

my 55 im torn between

octopus 150
http://www.marinesolutionsinc.com/ca...products_id=47

coral life
http://www.amazon.com/Coralife-Super...0942700&sr=8-3

i heard octo's are good...but same about corallife just stay away from anything that has clone in it hehe

on a side note......u want a skimmer thats rated at 125+....but you only have a 55gallon.....unless you plan to upgrade why overkill.... its like having a car that will do 300mph but the speed limit is 65....
Old 09/27/2007, 08:29 PM
Registered Member

I'd like to say I have expert advice but I'm recently going the "mechanical route" and purchased a Euro Reef RS 80 for my 55g. It should be up and running in a week or so.....i'll let you know. What setup are you puttin together?
Old 09/27/2007, 08:33 PM
One Good Friend

The octo 150 would be a great skimmer for you. It can handle a 75g or less just fine without any mods. The coralife isn't going to work well for you imo. The octo will skim circles around it. WHy get a skimmer thats rated 125g for a 55g tank......because the skimmer rating for most is twice as much as what it should be on.
Old 09/27/2007, 08:40 PM
Registered Member

I was looking at those along with
http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merch...pacificskimmer

But seems to cheap... also i just went out to see how tall my stand was and came back in wondering what to do... the inside of my stand is 20"... i wonder if i can cut the bottom of my stand out to lower the sump about 4 inch...
Yea don't want anything with clone
Old 09/27/2007, 08:44 PM
Registered Member

It's going to be another reef with SPS and hopefully clams.
I don't know i just like the idea of having a very clean tank. Yea didn't think about the coralife everything that is coralife isn't the best so why would the skimmer... So now i gotta figure out the height probblem...
Old 09/27/2007, 10:26 PM
Registered Member

I have the ASM G-2, and I couldn't be happier for my 55!
Old 09/27/2007, 10:37 PM
Registered Member

My bro has a ER on his 55g.
Old 09/28/2007, 07:34 AM
One Good Friend

Quote:
Originally posted by mysterybox
I have the ASM G-2, and I couldn't be happier for my 55!
But the octo is larger and cheaper and better built than the asm so why spend the money on an asm.
Old 09/28/2007, 11:54 AM
Registered Member

octo nw150
Old 09/28/2007, 04:24 PM
Registered Member

I have a Aqua C Remora Pro on my 55 gal. I have shrooms and zoo's for right now(building it up slow) and 2 percs and a blenny and the usual clean-up crews. I'm happy with my Remora, but it seems to produce wet foam mostly( I live in the desert, so I have to top-off everyday anyway). I will say to upgrade to the Mag pump over the MJ or Rio. I've used both the Mag and the Rio and the skimmer works better with the Mag IMO. This is a good HOB if you don't have a sump and maintenance is fairly easy. I have also received excellent customer service. The only downside IMO is the pump is in your tank and if you use the pre-filter box, it does take up some room in your tank. The prefilter does allow for some uses of other filter media with it though. The only problems I've had are pump failure, which is not attributed to the skimmer, but to the pump itself.
Old 09/28/2007, 07:21 PM
Registered Member

You can always look in the used dry goods section here on RC and find some great skimmers I just picked up a PM-Bullet1 with the gate valve acrylic stand, sedra 9000 pump and 6" remote waste collector 7 mos old for $125 and will be installing it on my 55g this weekend