Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/07/2004, 02:14 PM
Premium Member

Argghhh!!!! I'm such an IDIOT !!! Left my heater unplugged!

I can't believe this. Last night I was doing a water change on my QT tank. I unplugged the heater because it wasn't submerged. You see where this is going. This morning the water is 69 degrees. OMG. I managed to gradually raise it back to 80 over several hours. Anyway, my yellow tang isn't eating. DANG IT!!

This is a fish that eats voraciously, 24x7. I guess I should just give him some time, but I'm afraid I may have pushed him over the edge. Anyone ever do this? Do you think I killed him?
"For wisdom is better than corals, and all other delights themselves cannot be made equal to it." (Proverbs 8:11)
Old 02/07/2004, 02:20 PM
Wire Doc

killed him no, but im sure he's not to happy and stressed, give him time and it should recover if it was in good health to begin with.
Old 02/07/2004, 02:21 PM
Bandwidth-Waster

Fish are amazingly resiliant sometimes just have patience as you did when *slowly* bringing the temp back up. I'd be ready with the garlic though!
>L
Old 02/07/2004, 02:23 PM
Premium Member

He should be fine. Low temps are better than high temps.
is this accelerated rate of change."
- Peter Gabriel
Old 02/07/2004, 02:31 PM
Registered Member

Don't be too hard on yourself guitarfish,we've all done that and after you do it once it's burned into your brain and you don't do it again.
Old 02/07/2004, 03:00 PM
Premium Member

Just now he's going over to some nori and smelling it, taking a peck or two. Hopefully he'll get some zip in the next day or so. Lesson learned, big time.
"For wisdom is better than corals, and all other delights themselves cannot be made equal to it." (Proverbs 8:11)
Old 02/07/2004, 06:59 PM
Registered Member

Should be fine. You did better than the guy who let his water level drop under the temp sensor and turned his whole tank into soup!
Old 02/07/2004, 09:03 PM
RC Sponsor

Should be OK, just watch out for Ich outbreaks. It's not too uncommon after a dramatic temp fluctuation for a stressted fish to get it. Start soaking food in garlic extract (water based) if you aren't already.

Don't worry too much though, should be OK.

-Perry
Old 02/07/2004, 09:33 PM
Premium Member

Thanks everyone, I really do appreciate the encouragement. It just wasn't my day today. An hour after I discovered this, I busted a glass thermometer in the tank. Fortunately I didn't break the mercury part. I'm not touching anything else until tomorrow!
Old 02/07/2004, 11:38 PM
Registered Member

Fish should be fine. Oh and I am to an IT guy that really can't stand computers.
Old 02/07/2004, 11:43 PM
Dragonet Whisperer

I did the same thing, but in my display tank. Lucky for me temp only dropped to 74... but I feel your pain.
Old 02/08/2004, 12:02 AM
Registered Member

This maybe out of topic..
But I don't know if it is only me or not.
However, I always sudently wake up at nite.. and check up on the fishes.. temperature.. with a red light.
Old 02/08/2004, 12:04 AM
Bucket Reefer

Have you had an ich out break in your display before? If not I don't see how that could be a problem. I think your Tang will be eating in no time.

69 is not that bad and most likely dropped slowly. If anything I would have slowly raised it to the mid 70's and then gradually back to 80 over the next day or so. There was no need to bring it back up to 80 so fast IMO. I moved my entire 20 gallon reef tank 1500 miles with thirty hours of drive time - my water temp was held at 72 degrees the entire time and I did not have one casualty. The water temp of the reefs in the keys this time of year can drop into the mid 60's and can get as high as 90 in the summer.

On another note are you certain it was a mercury thermometer?

Here's to tomorrow being a better day for you and your reef!
Old 02/08/2004, 12:07 AM
Registered Member

We lost power for 26 hours a 10 days after I setup a 10g tank. Had two domino damsels and two hermit crabs. Temp in the water dropped to 55 degrees. Three of the four critters made it fine. One damsel died. The other one's doing fantastic two weeks later. No ick.
Old 02/08/2004, 12:28 AM
Registered Member

well domino damels lived in my uncles saltwater tank too.
he never did a water change
water was dark green
huge algae growth everywhere..........."ITS LIVE ROCK!!!"
That fish has to be the hardiest fish there is.
The temp should be fine.

What do the wild fish do in the winter time.........raise the heater?
Old 02/08/2004, 08:22 AM
Premium Member

24hrs later and all's well. Thanks all!
Old 02/08/2004, 05:21 PM
Registered Member

I'm glad all is well.

I found this post after searching for 'heaters.' I did the same thing last summer because mine wasn't submersible. I've since purchased 2 heaters. One never heated and the other never shut off. (2 diff. brands) GRRRR. Anyway, off on my search...
Michelle
Old 02/08/2004, 11:20 PM
Deaf Reefer

they dont make mercury thermometers anymore

the one you have is achaol

Quote:
Originally posted by guitarfish
Thanks everyone, I really do appreciate the encouragement. It just wasn't my day today. An hour after I discovered this, I busted a glass thermometer in the tank. Fortunately I didn't break the mercury part. I'm not touching anything else until tomorrow!
Windows for Solitaire
Old 02/09/2004, 09:00 AM
Premium Member

Alcohol? That's certainly better.

Check this out: later that night we had some friends over, and one of the kids, a 12 yr. old, was fascinated with the tank. He's asking me "what's this?, what's that?" I'm pointing out mini stars, feather dusters, snails, crabs. Then he's pointing to this thing down on the sand, asking what it is. I bend down and look.

"That's a piece of glass from my thermometer."
Old 02/09/2004, 09:55 AM
Registered Member

Well I can top yours I had a ebojagger heater in my tank for about 3 years before it ever even turned on. I thought the light was broken because usually the temp didnt swing but about a year ago I noticed the temp was getting down to 69 at night after lights out. The tank was moved to a wall near a window with a draft I never noticed. So I startedlooking to buy a new heater cuz mine musta broke right well I read on here that there is a way to "turn it on" so I messed with the dial on it waited a while then all of the sudden the light came on I felt like an idiot but I didnt have to buy a new heater
Lacey
Old 02/09/2004, 09:57 AM
Premium Member

Well, look at all the electricity you saved
Old 02/09/2004, 09:59 AM
Registered Member

I know my electric bill will never be the same......