Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/05/2008, 02:32 AM
Registered Member

Protein Skimmer

Ok well I got a Seaclone Protein Skimmer, been running in the tank for a few hours and not getting any progress. I tried adjusting the air flow but the skimmer is not doing anything. I am not looking for skim mate, I am just looking for some foam. I do not get how there can be any skim mate if there is not any foam at the top. There are only air bubbles swirling around. Is it suppose to be like this?
Old 01/05/2008, 02:44 AM
I hate line 42!!!!!!!

There should be a layer of foam at the top of the cylinder. It might take a couple of days. It might not ever work though. My seaclone ended up in the trash can. Thats usually where they all end up.
Old 01/05/2008, 02:44 AM
Registered Member

Ok first question, How long has the tank been set up. Are there any animals in the tank? Is there water flowing from the skimmer back into the tank? Keep in mind that there has to be something to skim first. There will also be a breakin period for the skimmer of about 3 days before you see any real skimmate.
Old 01/05/2008, 03:01 AM
Registered Member

No animals, tank is new. Yes there is water flowing through the skimmer and back to the tank. As I said, I'm not looking for skimmate, I just do not get why there is no foam at the top of the cylinder.
Old 01/05/2008, 03:11 AM
Moved On

Regardless you have anything to skimmate... it will still produce foam even if its just in a bathtub with water. Give it about 3 days to try and see foam results. If not, return it and get a real protein skimmer like a bermuda rogue or octopus. HTH.