Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/21/2006, 06:15 PM
Registered Member

Splitting Penguin 1140 (300gph) using line-loc to reduce intensity (29g)?

I have an 1140 Penguin (3/4" output) coupled to a Hydor FLO wavemaker head, It produces a nice movement across the entire tank. The issue I am having is that unless it is in an ideal spot it blasts certain areas with too much flow, so I've had to place my rock and corals accordingly.

I was thinking of using lineloc to allow me to place the pump neatly in a corner, and be able to run 6-7" of lineloc to a 'Y' splitter and have two flared seperate steady channels of flow instead of one intense alternating one. I could also install a valve to lighten the flow if I found it to be too strong.

Any thoughts on this? Should I avoid doing this for any reason?

Setup:

29gL
Remora PS w/ Maxi 1200
Eheim Aquaball 2208
~40-45 lbs live rock
Corals: Some random mushrooms, a torch frag, frogspawn, a hammer frag, Lobo, brain, xenia, plate frags, cabbage, monti.
Old 07/21/2006, 09:04 PM
Registered Member

I also was wondering what the proper way to connect the line-loc connectiosn would be, could I just use an epoxy to seal the pump output and line-loc together?
Old 07/21/2006, 09:45 PM
Registered Member

After looking into it a bit further I have a concern, would installing an in-line valve possibly ruin my pump long term by hindering the flow at all? I am assuming the ball style line-loc's are waterproof, allowing me to bring them out of the water an inch or two with enough room to allow me to turn the valves for each of the two individual nozzles. Any ideas?

I will work on a quick sketch and host it in a minute or two.
Old 07/21/2006, 09:55 PM
Registered Member

I am not familiar with your pump, but the loc-line series includes a pipe adapter, if that works for you I would use it. I would avoide however having the loc-line fittings suspended over anything that should not get wet. I have been advised many times and have found IME that they will and do leak (not like a faucet, though). Mine accumulated quite a bit of salt on the outside when I ran them outside the tank, if you keep them underwater you can avoid that. If after you install the Y fittings you feel the flow is still too strong, you could always divide and divert it more to spread it out.
Old 07/21/2006, 10:36 PM
Registered Member

I was just going to have it pop out just enough so I wouldn't have to dip my hand in the tank to turn the valve, though it is not that big of an issue, I will leave them in the tank to avoid salt accumilation. I saw the pipe adapter, though I did not see anything that listed the inlet size to see if I could simply put the outlet of the pump into it and seal it. I will have to look into it a bit more.

I would suppose that a 3/4" female style barb would work fine, but I'm not too sure about finding a female tyle barb on one end, with a female line-loc on the other.