Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/18/2007, 10:46 PM
Registered Member

Potential Stocking List // 90G.

This is the stocking list I'm looking into for my 90G mixed (mostly zoas and lps, with some sps) reef. I plan to keep my aquaculture very open and minimalistic, as to optimize swimming room and for aesthetic quality.

Note: I'm well aware that I will have to cut some fish from this list. I just want to know which one(s) of the below will not get along so that I can trim the list down to something more managable. I'm trying to plan ahead.
1 Yellow Tang (zebrasoma flavescens)
1 Firefish Goby (nemateleotris magnifica)
2 ORA Aquacultured Black Clownfish (amphriprion oscellaris or amphiprion percula)
1 Yellow Watchman Goby (cryptocentrus cinctus)
4 Lyretail or Bartlett's Anthias (pseudanthias squamipinnis or pseudanthias bartlettorum)
1[2] Pearly Jawfish [can I get them in mated pairs?] (opistognathus aurifons)
1 Barbershop Goby (stongobiops nematodes)
3 Social (Red Parrot) Fairy Wrasse (cirrhilabrus rubripinnis)

Again, I know that's too many fish (especially gobies, but I really like them and want to push that number as much as I can without hurting anybody), but I'm keeping my aquascape open and am prepared to cut that list back a lot.
Old 11/19/2007, 02:28 AM
Registered Member

i really don't think that's too many fish...looks alright to me since mostly are just small fish.

i had over 20 fish in my old 75 gallon tank b4 including 4 small tangs.

as long as you can keep the water quality under control, then it's all good.

if you have to cut some out from the list, i would take out 1 wrasse cuz they might just jump anyway. Also the anthias, expect to lose 1 or 2 if you put 4 in there at the same time.
Old 11/19/2007, 07:33 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by nava405
i really don't think that's too many fish...looks alright to me since mostly are just small fish.

i had over 20 fish in my old 75 gallon tank b4 including 4 small tangs.

as long as you can keep the water quality under control, then it's all good.

if you have to cut some out from the list, i would take out 1 wrasse cuz they might just jump anyway. Also the anthias, expect to lose 1 or 2 if you put 4 in there at the same time.
Really? That's really, really awesome. Still holding out for more opinions though.

The wrasses I plan to keep, since I'll have eggcrate over the top. Most fish in general are well capable of jumping if too spooked (and near the top of the tank), especially my firefish.
Old 11/19/2007, 01:38 PM
Tailspot Blenny

your anthias are going to need a ton of food, thus pushing it for the number of fish.

nava405's 20 fish is a very bad idea =P

I think you could pull it off since there's a few gobies rather than bigger fish... but no more. get a huge skimmer.
Old 11/19/2007, 11:28 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Kinetic
your anthias are going to need a ton of food, thus pushing it for the number of fish.

nava405's 20 fish is a very bad idea =P

I think you could pull it off since there's a few gobies rather than bigger fish... but no more. get a huge skimmer.
I'm on it. I plan to get an automatic feeder to drop pellets for the anthias at least 2-3x a day. Mostly I was concerned that gobies/blennies/dartfish/dragonettes/etc. would fight each other. Getting an Octo NW200 and doing all the mods I can, plus I have about 10-15G in my sump dedicated as a fuge for chaeto.
Old 11/19/2007, 11:35 PM
Tailspot Blenny

sounds like a plan =) Your gobies won't "fight" really, they'll get ****ed at each other if they take up homes too close, but that's about it.

dragonetts... I've never seen them fight before. I think you're good to go.

Not sure if you've covered it either, but something I've learned recently, keep your sump compartments from collecting any detritus as well... often times a huge source of nutrient decay. I place small 150gph via aqua pumps in all my compartments to keep it churning away.

goodluck!! post pictures =)
Old 11/19/2007, 11:43 PM
Premium Member

I think the only issue would be cramming the anthias in there. They need room to hide from each other during internal wars. I have had my group together for almost 2 years in a 210 and one of the large females has challenged the male. After all that peace the fight has begun again. Also, they are extremely active fish even when they are getting along.

Lisa
Old 11/20/2007, 07:20 AM
Registered Member

Is a 90 too small for four anthias? 48x24 seemed like a lot of swimming space to me, as they'd be the most agressive fish beyond the clowns, correct? The gobies wouldn't give them any crap, so they would have the tank, for all intents and purposes, to themselves.

I wanted to get 4 because, well, I have acute obsessive-compulsive disorder (the number is important). Also because that's the smallest school I felt would be appropriate to keep together.
Old 11/20/2007, 07:34 AM
Our man in the East

Are experienced reefers stating that 20 fish including 4 tangs in a 75g tank is ok now. Wow!
Old 11/20/2007, 09:26 AM
Registered Member

I have 2 females and 1 male lyretail. My females didn't last due to something wrong with them, but I've got a male still. They like a lot of swimming room and food, so take that into account. I feed several times a day. You will usually notice they are hungry when the male lyretail starts chasing things around.

With 9 fish and feeding several times a day to make the anthias happy, I still run 0 nitrate. If you've got a fuge with some chaeto you should be good.
0.0.1 Bearded Dragon

The Reptile File
Old 11/21/2007, 02:09 PM
Registered Member

I've got about 10G set aside in my sump for chaeto.

Thanks for the advice everyone!

P.S.: I've heard that silica sand is bad for jawfish. I have ~90# of (I assume) silica sand (Kolorscope, the Wal-Mart stuff) and 30# of arag-alive from the lfs on top of that (better color and smaller grain). I have a total of 2-3" of sand (depending on where you measure), only the top 3/4" or so being aragonite. Is Kolorscope silica base? Is it bad for my (planned) jawfish?
P.P.S. This is going to be a reef and clam tank. These fish are reef-safe, I've looked into that. But will any of them bother clams, feather dusters, etc.? I know for a fact almost all of them won't, but I just wanted to make sure.

Last edited by Chibils; 11/21/2007 at 02:46 PM.
Old 12/12/2007, 02:45 PM
Registered Member

Alright - my CUC is in, and I'm almost ready to add fish and corals. What should I add first?

Also, I revised the list a bit:
1 Yellow Tang (zebrasoma flavescens)
4 Firefish Goby (nemateleotris magnifica)
2 ORA Aquacultured Black Clownfish (amphriprion oscellaris or amphiprion percula)
1 Yellow Watchman Goby (cryptocentrus cinctus)
3 Maldives Flame Anthias (pseudanthias ignitus)
1 Pearly Jawfish (opistognathus aurifons)
1 Barbershop Goby (stongobiops nematodes)
2 Scott's Fairy Wrasse (cirrhilabrus scottorum)
1 McCosker's Flasher Wrasse (paracheilinus mccoskeri)

Will this still work?
If so, who should I add first? I'm thinking the jawfish.
Old 12/12/2007, 03:30 PM
Registered Member

1. Yellow watchman this first because it will steal the jawfish's den
2. Pearly Jawfish
3. Firefish
4. Barbershop Goby
5. Black Clownfish
6. McCosker's Flasher Wrasse
7. Scott's Fairy Wrasse
8. Maldives Flame Anthias
9. Yellow Tang
Old 12/12/2007, 08:37 PM
Premium Member

If you have no experience with anthias skip the ignitus. The are a hit or miss species. A QT is required to deworm and to let them adjust to captive foods.

Carl
Old 12/12/2007, 11:03 PM
Registered Member

The trio I was looking at is in the diver's den; I know they're healthy. I'd never add anything with a proper QT first. Is there anything other than that I can do?
Old 12/12/2007, 11:11 PM
Premium Member

Give them a week of good feeding after getting them. Once they are eating well deworm them.

Carl
Old 12/13/2007, 12:55 AM
Registered Member

I would get a pair of clowns instead of one, a pair is so much nicer in a reef tank!!!

Be sure to add your fish slowly, give the tank time to adjust between each introduction!!