Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Chicagoland Marine Aquarium Society (CMAS)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/29/2007, 09:09 PM
Got Nog?

My new Tinkers Butterfly

I picked up this beauty from Living Seas earlier today. I think I am in love!! He (She) is about 5 1/2 inches and wasn't cheap!! Eating like a total pig with PE mysis. So far no problems with my mitratus butterfly or my other fairy wrasses.

Scott

Pair of Lineatus Fairy wrasse
Mitratus Butterfly
Tinkers Butterfly
Male Blue Flasher wrasse
Old 12/29/2007, 09:14 PM
Discontented Reefer

That is a beautiful fish. Is it reef safe or do you have it in a FOWLR tank?
Old 12/29/2007, 09:23 PM
Got Nog?

Quote:
Originally posted by ppurcell
That is a beautiful fish. Is it reef safe or do you have it in a FOWLR tank?
Thanks!! Its a deepwater species like the burgess, mitratus, declivis of the genus. Its is supposedly a plankton eater but I read from others who chomped on there fleshy LPS corals but left the SPS's alone. Every fish is different. I have him in my softie tank primarily with leathers and he hasn't touched a thing. I will keep an eye on him though. The mitratus I have in the tank with him hasn't touched a thing either.
Mitratus Butterfly
Tinkers Butterfly
Male Blue Flasher wrasse
Old 12/29/2007, 09:50 PM
Registered Member

Do you have any experience with Copperband Butterfly?
Are they totally reef safe?
Old 12/29/2007, 11:16 PM
Premium Member

nice fish did the have any more

how was there selection was thing of heading up there tomorrow to see what they had I have been doing the lfs tour the last couple weekends and the fish selection at the lfs has been lacking I miss deep reef aquatics and haven't seen anything close to a selection of fish that jeff would carry since he closed his store.

did they have any sales
Old 12/29/2007, 11:43 PM
Got Nog?

Quote:
Originally posted by zoebeaglezoe
nice fish did the have any more

how was there selection was thing of heading up there tomorrow to see what they had I have been doing the lfs tour the last couple weekends and the fish selection at the lfs has been lacking I miss deep reef aquatics and haven't seen anything close to a selection of fish that jeff would carry since he closed his store.

did they have any sales
Yeah I miss Jeff too. He use to be able to get three of these Tinker butterflies in at a time and all kinds of rare cool stuff. The selection is nice at living sea but you have to realize they are EXPENSIVE. I paid typical price for the Tinker as any other would sell it at. If they decided to really up the price there is no way I would have bought it at living sea. Now I just have to find me a declivis and I am set...LOL
Mitratus Butterfly
Tinkers Butterfly
Male Blue Flasher wrasse
Old 12/29/2007, 11:53 PM
g l a s s b o x

nice pick up

"i like bubbly, and i love animals - so it works out well"

"there are a lot of people out there who think they have a modern house simply because they have alot of steel in it"
Old 12/30/2007, 04:04 PM
Premium Member

went to living sea aquarium you were right about there prices they had harlequin tusk for 300.00 each and a nice puffer for the same price. you could have gotten them for a way better price at deep reef when they were still open. there selection was better than most lfs but wasn't that impressed at all.

www.reefhotspot.com has that declivis butterfly your looking for I was also thing of ordering from them as well
Old 12/30/2007, 04:28 PM
Registered Member

I have had my eyes on that fish for a while. He is a beautifull fish. Congrats!

I liking visiting Living Sea but they are notorisouly Expensive. They do have a sale going on buy one get one half (price). Thier pirces are usually double than a typical market price.
Old 12/30/2007, 04:29 PM
Got Nog?

Quote:
Originally posted by zoebeaglezoe
went to living sea aquarium you were right about there prices they had harlequin tusk for 300.00 each and a nice puffer for the same price. you could have gotten them for a way better price at deep reef when they were still open. there selection was better than most lfs but wasn't that impressed at all.

www.reefhotspot.com has that declivis butterfly your looking for I was also thing of ordering from them as well
Man Jeff use to get some of the really rare stuff in for some great prices. I remeber when jeff use to get declivis butterflies in and they only ran $175-200. Now they are in the $300 price range everywhere else. Jeff use to sell Tinkers for $299 when he use to get them in. I paid $399 at living sea which is basically market price for most places. Who knows maybe Jeff may open up at another location. About 95% of my rare fish, corals, high end equipment is ordered online because many of the LFS around the area don't carry it. No matter how many times I ask many LFS if they can get it in for me they keep comming up with the lame excuse "I don't see it on my list". Which is BS.

Scott
Mitratus Butterfly
Tinkers Butterfly
Male Blue Flasher wrasse
Old 12/30/2007, 06:09 PM
Registered Member

They have a XLG Blonde Naso for $399 which is a beauty! Medium Majestic for $399
Old 12/30/2007, 06:10 PM
Registered Member

They have a XLG Blonde Naso for $399 which is a beauty! Medium Majestic for $399.

WHOOO HOOOO!!! <---- Thats my 100th post on RC!
Old 01/03/2008, 06:55 PM
Premium Member

How's your tinkers doing Scott? Can you tell me anything about it's personality? I have an opportunity to get a bonded pair, I'm just not sure if it's what I want to do right now.
Old 01/03/2008, 06:56 PM
g l a s s b o x

criccio, if you dont take those mind sharing any info?!

"i like bubbly, and i love animals - so it works out well"

"there are a lot of people out there who think they have a modern house simply because they have alot of steel in it"