Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/05/2007, 04:42 PM
Registered Member

Setting up 1st reef - Percula 90

HI All,
I am setting up my first Saltwater tank. A Percula 90 second hand tank with skimmer, pumps but minus the halide (But I have twin 70W Halide from my freshwater tank).

My plan is to setup a seperate sump tank (I have a spare 30x18x12 inch tank). Already have a Eheim 1060 sump pump for the purpose so hope it is enough. It will have a 30W CFL 24x7 on it and will try to grow calupera... but thats at a later stage.

Firstly, I need to get the following:
50/75GPD RO (Would a compact unit to the job?)
Halide Bulbs (I had the 5200k arcadia plant ones so need to replace them.. but with what?)
Live rock (Planning on 35kg to start with and then add another 10 over the next couple of months - any recomendations?)
Salt . I have been recomended Reef Crystals.. any views?

The Fish I eventually plan on once the tank is cycled with the new live rock are:
Pair of Percula Clowns

A Yellow tang (Wife wants it and is one of the conditions I have been allowed a marine setup)

A Royal Gramma

3-4 Orchid Dottybacks

Maybe a pair of Anthias if they are ok with the setup but not decided yet.

Full stop. no more fish.

Inverts: Cleaner Shrimps, couple of hermits, Turbo snails (not sure if they are ok with hermits, have heard that they steal their shells)

I also have an external canister (sacem) that I can use for rowaphos and carbon etc.

Sorry if its too many questions

Thanks
Nim
ps: I have been fishkeeping for about 18-20 yrs now.
Old 12/05/2007, 04:53 PM
Registered Member

Sounds like fun. I'm in the process of setting up my tank and I've made a few mistakes. FYI, Set up your tank, sump, pre-filter, tubes, protein skimmer, all your return tubbing, then add the water. Get your tank running without anything in it first. Next make sure your temp is good, throw your heater in your sump. After, you need good lighting. Then add all the live sand, live rock, coral etc. Inverts. Let your tank cycle, test the water. Then I'd all one fish every 2-4 weeks. (if your wife gives to many "conditions" I'd get a girlfriend on the side) J/K
Old 12/05/2007, 05:06 PM
Registered Member

Thanks Mike,
Yes that is the plan. I have just cleaned the tank and now setting up the sump and the pumps etc. then will be setting the lights (coz I can move the tank while its empty

Actually, the sump sits in the garage right behind the wall so I will really need 2 heaters in the setup. one in the sump and one in the tank.. not a problem as its all hidden away.

Once the light is up and running, I will then add the water and start building up the liverock.

Are there any online suppliers in the UK that you or anyone could recommend?

Thanks,
Nim
Old 12/05/2007, 05:11 PM
Registered Member

I don't understand why you need 2 heaters? If you've got one in your sump keeping the water warm, and you've got a pump pushing that warm water into your tank, why would you need a second heater in your tank?

www.reefstore.co.uk
Old 12/05/2007, 05:20 PM
Registered Member

Well. apparently the garage is as cold as 2 degrees Celsius (English Weather) so just want to avoid the risk of water cooling up too much in the sump and then returning to the tank.

Besids, I have some spare heaters as well. At one time had 8 tanks going but now down to only 4

Oh and Yellow Tang is her only condition and I think a 80 gallon tank should be able to house one

Nim
Old 12/05/2007, 05:51 PM
Registered Member

Oh, that's cold! I'm in California so it wasn't registering. Yellow Tangs are awesome.
Old 12/05/2007, 06:18 PM
Registered Member

Hey Nim!

Great to see you here!....

50/75GPD RO (Would a compact unit to the job?)
I'm sure the compact will be fine but for a few quid more I'll go for a full 4 stage ROMAN. i think theres a sale at the moment

Halide Bulbs (I had the 5200k arcadia plant ones so need to replace them.. but with what?)
I'm using 10000k and seems to keep everyone happy... you do nee to change the 5200k tho. The difference from 10000k, 14000k and 20000k is that the color variate to simulate different deep on the water.

Live rock (Planning on 35kg to start with and then add another 10 over the next couple of months - any recomendations?)
35kg sounds like plenty to begin... as you said you can add more rock as time go by... but when adding the new rock try to do it slowly maybe a couple of kilos every week so you don't cause an spike in ammonia

Salt . I have been recomended Reef Crystals.. any views?
I'm using Red Sea Coral Pro and i really like it very easy to dissolve and it have extra calcium and other stuff

Pablo
Old 12/06/2007, 01:46 PM
Registered Member

Hiya Pablo

Well, I am having to decide between 14000k and 20000k. I am thinking that 20000 may be a bit too blue for a small tank

Now the deal I am getting is from Osmotics where a 3stage 75gpd costs £45 as opposed to a 50gpd from roman @ £80 .. now thats more then a few quid?

Thanks
Nim