Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/27/2007, 08:50 AM
Registered Member

Trouble in paradise

The neighbor in the back of our home left a message on our answering maching yesterday saying they were rocks and sticks in their swimming pool. If we knew anyting about it. Perhaps our kids and other kids whom were playing in our back yard threw them (over the fence) and if we could bring it to the kids attention, etc.

So we asked our kids (Allen and Bryan) if they knew anything about this.

Bryan who's 4 yr old said right away his brother Allen (7 yr old) and Steven (another neighbor's 10 yr old kid) thew them first. Allen said "I didn't do it" it was Steven and Bryan. So I question Allen how they managed to throw it over the 7 ft fence. He said they climbed on top of the fire wood that I had stacked up (which was near the fence) and threw the rocks and sticks over the fence.

So I called Steven's dad and talked to him about what happened.
Steven's dad said that Steven said that they all did it, Allen too.

Steven Dad asked what we should do.

I said I think all the kids should go over to apologize. So he brought Steven over and I took the kids over to the neighbor in the back to apologize.

The neighbor was cool about it. But it was embarrasing nevertheless. I asked if we could help cleaning it up. She said no it was OK.

I told Allen that I was disappointed that he lied again. The first time Allen lied was earlier this year. And for him to think about what his punishment should be. I went over with him again why he shouldn't lie, the boy who cried wolf story, how lying will always get you into more trouble.
Of course, I lecture him also about the rocks throwing, why he shouldn't do it, to have respect for other people's property, etc.

I'm more concerned about the lying.

So...he's going to be being punished not for the rocks throwing but the lying.

I guess this evening when we get home, we'll have to discuss Allen's punishment for lying (again). This is the second time this year.
Old 06/27/2007, 08:52 AM
That's Mind Bottling !

Send him to Nina's and let him shovel horse dung for a week !

I look at her with my head tilted to the side and in a soft voice I just say; You're so pretty !
Old 06/27/2007, 09:01 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by UH_OH_5_OH
Send him to Nina's and let him shovel horse dung for a week !
and if every single road apple isn't picked up, to bed without supper!
Old 06/27/2007, 09:10 AM
That's Mind Bottling !

OR..........to bed with road apple pie for supper !

I look at her with my head tilted to the side and in a soft voice I just say; You're so pretty !
Old 06/27/2007, 09:13 AM
On "The List"

or.... you could try this

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1150017

HEY! I lost it first ~CRP

There is no "Brain" in "Brian." ~Beerguy
Old 06/27/2007, 01:02 PM
Simply Complicated

I agree with you OZ, the lying is the bigger issue for sure. The rock & stick throwing has been delt with and over. Good luck with the punishment and the outcome.

Why didn't they tell us being a parent was harder than being a kid?
Old 06/27/2007, 01:40 PM
Take a number

I forget what number I'm on for reasons whyI'm not having kids...

I will not eat oysters. I want my food dead - not wounded or sick - DEAD !
Old 06/27/2007, 01:49 PM
Simply Complicated

Quote:
Originally posted by PoukieBear
I forget what number I'm on for reasons whyI'm not having kids...
+1 that should work for now
Old 06/27/2007, 05:37 PM
Registered Member

I commend you for making the boys apologize as this is a very hard thing for kids to do ...

As for the punishment for lying, well that's a tough one ... Good luck with what you and your wife decide... Hopefully he gets over this "phase" b/c I'd hate for him to turn into the neighbor up the street, we do however live in the back 40 of his 100 acre horse farm ... Hubby had worked with him in the mill years ago, and overheard him telling some woman that he lived on a 100 acre horse farm. She seemed really impressed and such, so hubby leaned over and said yeah I live in the back 40 ... needless to say he stopped telling people that one!!!

Christy...

so...what are you wearing...?

panties...?

lace panties...?

that's what I'm wearing - ScubaDave and the telemarketer...

Life can be short, just like me... Live it to the fullest!!! Family is always there for you NO matter what, just like a "true friend" would be... A cheat is a cheat, and are always busted...
Old 06/27/2007, 06:13 PM
Registered Member

I feel bad for you. I've got a 13 year old boy who used to lie for no reason. "ty, what colors the sky today?" "Green."
????
he's a lot better now that he was a few years ago, he's my stepson and up until last year his father ignored him, so he had a LOT of emotional problems that really was difficult for everyone. His father actually got his act together and started acting like a father and since then it hasnt been too bad. The problem is it went on for so long that now ANYTHING he says is suspect. His mom and I work hard to try and get past that and give him the benefit of the doubt, but even now, a few years later if something happens i automatically suspect he's lying.
Old 06/27/2007, 11:45 PM
I like the way you talk.

My dad had a belt that he used to cure me of lying...or anything else I did that he didn't like. He applied it to my hind end at warp speed.
Old 06/28/2007, 03:23 PM
Registered Member

That never worked with ty. or with me either, apparently. when i talked to my folks about it, they said they'd put the smack down till their hand was blue and i'd just give em dirty looks...but if they put me in the corner i cried like a little girl. I punish with work. Manual labor outside, or making him read out of my books and write me reports inside.
Old 06/28/2007, 03:44 PM
in the bathtub

Hate to say it ooba, but aren't you making reading a bad thing by doing that?

Ed: "I hate to tell you this Dr., but there aren't any fish in that river. In fact, there isn't any river."
Dr. Lao: "That's ok. Me no use bait."