Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/22/2007, 10:59 PM
Registered Member

Question High dKH, low Ca ?

My tank has been up for a few months. I have added a calcium reactor about a month ago. For some strange reason, my PH is doing fine, my dKH is through the roof (26 !!!) and my Calcium is low (140ppm). Should I be increasing the amount of effluent from my reactor to get more calcium or is this going to take my dKH even higher creating problems ? What is worse, low calcium or high dKH ? My tank does not look great. I have quite a bit of algae on my LR and my substrate is clumping and hardening. In some places, it has become hard as a rock.
I forgot to mention I just added a Phosban reactor although my Phosphate is very low. Just a few other pieces of info, I am running Ozone (around 25mg/hr) and carbon 7/24.

Needless to say my corals don't seem to be loving it...

Help !
Old 07/22/2007, 11:09 PM
RC Mod

The first step would be to confirm those measurements, since test kits have been known to have problems.

Once you're fairly sure about the measurements, turn off the reactor for a while and let dKH fall to something reasonable. Then, dose calcium up to something reasonable with some calcium chloride, like Turbo Calcium or Dow Flake. This calculator will help with a dose:

http://home.comcast.net/~jdieck1/chem_calc3.html

Since the animals aren't doing well, I'd start some 20-25% water changes, if possible, to help get the parameters in line more rapidly. That could be started now.

This article covers calcium and alkalinity problems in detail:

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/nov2002/chem.htm

Is any sort of buffer being dosed into the tank? pH buffers are infamous for causing this type of problem.
Old 07/22/2007, 11:24 PM
Registered Member

I think you put your finger on it. I did dose Seachem marine buffer several times when first starting up the tank as the PH kept falling all the time.

So water changes en masse is what I should do ?
Old 07/22/2007, 11:26 PM
RC Mod

The Marine Buffer is particularly bad since it contains a lot of borate. It's intended for fish-only tanks. I would suggest ditching that product and doing a number of water changes. Personally, I would still get a second opinion on the test kits.
Old 07/22/2007, 11:28 PM
RC Mod

Oops, meant to post this link:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-09/rhf/index.htm

That article covers low pH problems, which are usually due to high CO2 levels or a problem with the testing equipment.
Old 07/22/2007, 11:35 PM
Registered Member

You would suggest I buy another test kit to double check the dKH and calcium levels or simply test again with same kits ?
Old 07/22/2007, 11:38 PM
RC Mod

I'd get or borrow another test kit. A local fish store might be willing to run a couple of tests, too.
Old 07/22/2007, 11:43 PM
Registered Member

Thanks a lot. I will take action tomorrow. I was hesitating to do too much of a water change as I noticed recently the output of my RO/DI has degraded to about 50ppm (used to be 0). I have ordered replacement filter cartridges and I am worried a sizeable water change now might introduce chlorine or other compounds into the tank. I will mix another batch of saltwater tomorrow anyway as I assume chlorine would evaporate anyways in the aeration process.
Old 07/22/2007, 11:45 PM
Registered Member

One more thing, assuming I can get my water parameters back in order, is my substrate going to loosen up by itself or am I going to have to replace it ?
Old 07/23/2007, 12:08 AM
RC Mod

You will have to replace it.
Old 07/23/2007, 10:31 AM
Registered Member

Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated.
Old 07/23/2007, 12:44 PM
RC Mod

You're welcome! Good luck!