Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Alabama Reefers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/23/2007, 05:58 PM
Registered Member

Can someone spare just a little bit of Chemi Clean?

Hi y'all,

Can someone spare a tiny amount of Chemi Clean? I would like to test a small sample to see if what I have react to Chemi Clean.

I got this red stuff that appears to be cyano, or possibly dinoflagelate of some sort. The darn thing did not react to Red Slime Remover at all when I tried to kill it with the chemical in a small bucket. (This may be due to the fact that my Red Slimer Remover is 4 years old.) Before I invest in a bottle of Chemi Clean, I would like to test the stuff on the red stubborn algae of mine.

My water parameters are pretty good - zero phosphate and 0.2 - 0.3 ppm Nitrate by Salifert's test kit. No ammonia or nitrite. I've got a lot of flow, too.

Tomoko
Old 12/23/2007, 06:00 PM
Team RC Member

I believe they're the same thing, actually.
Have you tried lights out for 3 days, 4th day actinic only? It got my cyano in about 3 months. [you do this once a month.] Limiting sunlight access to your tank also helps a lot.

"Make haste slowly." ---Augustus.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.
Old 12/23/2007, 09:47 PM
Registered Member

Tomoko...I have th eexact same problem. Chemi-clean was a last resort and the only effect it seemed to have was creating watery skimmate.
I was considering trying a lighting reduction as mentioned above as well....
Old 12/24/2007, 08:13 AM
Registered Member

Thanks for the suggestions, guys.

I used to turn off the light over my refugium on this tank for a few days periodically to rid of the red slime on the surface over a thick mat of macroalgae. Funny thing is that the slime never stayed in my display before the re-aquascaping and ousting the two marauder fishies. The display was spic and span, but the red film on the refugium surface got heavy periodically. I wish I knew why it was like that.

I heard that Chemi Clean can stress acroporas. Treating the tank with an antibiotic is going to the last resort to me, too, since this tank is SPS dominated.

I might try just the 3 day black out method on the display. I don't have actinic bulbs since I have 14K MH.

Tomoko
Old 12/24/2007, 10:40 PM
Premium Member

Tomoko, I am still dealing with the same stuff. When I used the Chem Clean I lost a few corals, but with the Red Slime remover it took a few days for it to show that it worked. BUT only for a short period and then it was back again.

I will try the lights out and see if it helps.

I know H@rry was having this same problem at one time. H@rry if you read this please let us know if you got rid of it and how.

Smile, the Day Always looks Brighter Through Shining Eyes

Little Things Can Make A Big Difference
Old 12/25/2007, 02:04 AM
Troll

I got new light bulbs and 10 days later it was gone. I had been using 13K or 14K bulbs and went back to 10K.