Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/15/2007, 06:01 AM
Registered Member

Water Flow Models

I am looking to optimize the flow in my tank by the strategic placement of the returns and the pumps. I was wondering if there’s a downloadable program available what could/would model the tank and show the movement of water. Some sort of water flow model is available for groundwater movement but I’m having trouble finding one for water tanks?
Old 06/16/2007, 08:43 AM
10 & Over Club

The problem with doing that for a tank is that every tank will be different. Different rock arrangements, different corals and coral growth etc. will make that very variable. Best thing to do is the feed something like cyclopeze, brine shrimp nauplii, or similar and watch how the food blows around

"LOL, well I have no brain apparently. " - dc (Debi)
Old 06/16/2007, 03:32 PM
Premium Member

I asked my professor the very same thing because I had hoped during our fluid mechanics class he would touch on this subject.

His answer was that to model something like dynamic fluid motion in a 3D program would take a lot of computing power and some very LARGE and complex equations. I am sure such a program exists for windtunnel applications, because air and water can be regarded in the same way most of the time, but such a program isn't readily available like Google Sketch.

Try NASA AMES or MIT
Old 06/17/2007, 02:08 AM
Registered Member

Smooth and mostly generic geometric shapes are not that hard. Now flow in a tank is another story just think of all the different textures on the surface of the rock and corals all those greatly affect how water is going to flow and modeling anything close to a piece of live rock would take tons of time!
Old 06/18/2007, 02:51 AM
Registered Member

I wanted to ues it to modle an empty tank.
Old 06/18/2007, 06:42 PM
Registered Member

Several 3d modeling programs could do that(Maya, 3d max). Of course you's have to learn to use the programs first
Old 06/18/2007, 10:35 PM
Premium Member

Fluid flow in an empty tank will be nothing like the flow in an aquascaped tank... you really have nothing to gain for the trouble.
Old 06/19/2007, 02:35 AM
Registered Member

Because its fun?

I used Sketchup to model a 3D violin for the hell of it why not it will look pritty and keep me out of trouble!
Old 06/19/2007, 09:57 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by billsreef
The problem with doing that for a tank is that every tank will be different. Different rock arrangements, different corals and coral growth etc. will make that very variable. Best thing to do is the feed something like cyclopeze, brine shrimp nauplii, or similar and watch how the food blows around
Purple Up works great for this as well. It looks like smoke IN the water
Old 06/20/2007, 02:49 AM
Registered Member

Smoke on-the wat.....er, And fire in the sky!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06/22/2007, 02:42 PM
Premium Member

Thought it was Fire on the Mountain?
Old 06/22/2007, 05:27 PM
Registered Member

2 programs i know of would do what you are looking for.
1 is FLUENT though learning to program is quite an undertaking. Plus you have to have a mesh made up in a second program first.
2 is Solid Works They have a few fluid analysis tools though they take a beast of a computer or a good chunk of time. SW is a lot more user friendly and if you have an experience with 3d drawing programs you won't have much trouble.

Only real drawback is the price. Licensed versions of both are expensive. But in this hobby what isn't. PM me if you have any questions, Id be glad to help.
Old 06/23/2007, 01:06 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Am4nn
2 programs i know of would do what you are looking for.
1 is FLUENT though learning to program is quite an undertaking. Plus you have to have a mesh made up in a second program first.
2 is Solid Works They have a few fluid analysis tools though they take a beast of a computer or a good chunk of time. SW is a lot more user friendly and if you have an experience with 3d drawing programs you won't have much trouble.

Only real drawback is the price. Licensed versions of both are expensive. But in this hobby what isn't. PM me if you have any questions, Id be glad to help.
Good to know......Inventor and Solidworks are sneaking more and more into those packages all the time. I use Inventor daily along with old AutoCAD, funny how you get in a rut and never take the time to look at the other tools.......busy I guess? I have Solidworks also.......should play with it more I suppose, but you know how it is.....the cobblers kids have no shoes........

I found this:
http://www.caduser.com/reviews/reviews.asp?a_id=253

and this one looks interesting:

http://www.nisasoftware.com/products..._analysis.html