Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/28/2006, 09:47 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Chupakabra-King
Sounds like the LFS was screwing you and not using any lube !
ROTFLMAO!!!!
Old 06/28/2006, 10:05 AM
Certified FL Aquaculture

If you are buying water from an LFS...make the investment in a tds meter. I recently worked with a couple that just couldn't get rid of their algae problem. They were refered to me as "a last resort" before breaking down their tank for good. After all the usual tests showed nitrates and phosphates, through the roof, I had them bring me a sample of their RO water they were getting from another LFS. The reading was 210. Please...be sure of what you are getting. Also, always check the salinity before adding. Before I owned my store I was buying my water from a lfs. Luckily I checked it before adding it ...salinity 0...it was supposed to be saltwater premade. A good lfs will not mind if you ask for a tds meter reading of their water. I have my RO/DI units where customers can check them with a dual in/out meter anytime they want. After several months of quality water changes that couple's tank is right back to where they wanted it....no algae in sight. Just a heads up...I've seen this way too many times.
Old 06/28/2006, 10:12 AM
My Life for Aiur!

If you read previous comments, he got a TDS meter and tested his LFSs water already. It was testing at 700+
Old 06/28/2006, 10:18 AM
Certified FL Aquaculture

Yes...I was just giving a general warning to all after reading that. Unfortunately, many tank owners, especially new ones, wouldn' t think to check.
Old 06/28/2006, 10:20 AM
My Life for Aiur!

AH! I see.
Old 06/29/2006, 11:55 AM
Registered Member

I can't beleive the water I was buying was that high, and what bugs me most is every week I was in htere telling them of my massive hair algae problem and asking what I could do about it.

I went and bought an RO/DI unit and will be doing all my own water changes and mixing. Do you think my hair algae will go away?
Old 06/29/2006, 12:00 PM
My Life for Aiur!

Quote:
Originally posted by dstalfire
I can't beleive the water I was buying was that high, and what bugs me most is every week I was in htere telling them of my massive hair algae problem and asking what I could do about it.

I went and bought an RO/DI unit and will be doing all my own water changes and mixing. Do you think my hair algae will go away?
Eventually. It will take lots of time and strict maitenance. The whole reduced feedings, shortened photoperiod, increased maual removal, and water changes (with good water) will eventually succeed. This could take several months for it to be completely gone though, so be patient.
Old 06/29/2006, 02:25 PM
Registered Member

I didnt read every post but, I had hair algea everywhere. The way I was able to get rid of it for the most part, was to take every rock that was covered in it and scrub it with a tooth brush and rinse it really well. You have to be careful when removing it because it can spread really easily, this is a long process and is very tedious, but you will be amazed at how well it works, and after about a month or so, it is almost completely gone. I am sure I have a nitrate problem but dont have alot of corals just yet and this worked.
Old 06/29/2006, 10:13 PM
Certified FL Aquaculture

A couple suggestions:
• Use a turkey baster to "blow out" the detritius in and on your rocks. This is feeds the algae

• Use a PURA filter pad in your filtration system to pull the dissolved solids and fine particle matter from the water

• In truly bad cases, a Large Hawaiian sea hare can take care of the problem in a week or so. These are bout 3-4 inches long and have a voracious appetite. Pass the fellow on to a fellow reefer when your hair algae problem is gone as they will starve without a good source of algae.

GL, Marcye
Old 06/30/2006, 08:14 AM
My Life for Aiur!

Quote:
Originally posted by Me No Nemo
• In truly bad cases, a Large Hawaiian sea hare can take care of the problem in a week or so. These are bout 3-4 inches long and have a voracious appetite. Pass the fellow on to a fellow reefer when your hair algae problem is gone as they will starve without a good source of algae.
Good suggestion, but it won't completely git rid of all the nutrients. Of course, dstalfire is now doing everything in his power to eliminate it. If someone was going to just use a sea hare, then the algae would eventually come back. You would need to find a way to export the sea hare's waste. They usually produce a large amount.

Also, it's a good idea to try to find one that will accept Nori. This way when it clears all of your tank (and everyone else's) then you can feed it Nori so it won't die or until you find a more suitable home.
Old 06/30/2006, 08:41 AM
Certified FL Aquaculture

Hi Travis...yes, I agree that it won't help get rid of the original problem, but keeping the rock clean certainly will go a long way towards not fueling further outbreaks. Those PURA pads are amazing if you've never tried them. They really do help pull the nasties out of the water...most people can't believe what comes out on the pad everyday. If not removed, all you do is keep cycling the fuel back into the system, as I know you are aware as I've read many of your posts and you are a very knowledgable hobbyist. 27 years into this and I finally feel like I'm getting a handle on things and just trying to pass on some additional ideas Everyone here has given excellent advice and info...and feeding the sea hare nori afterwards is a great idea...most will readily accept it. Hair algae is certainly no fun!! GL, Marcye
Old 06/30/2006, 09:57 AM
Registered Member

Hopefully finally doing water changes with water under 700tds will make a big difference. The LFS water I was buying was 700tds, the RO?DI water I am going to make will be under 20, I trully hope this makes all the difference!