Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Alabama Reefers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/11/2007, 09:36 AM
Soul of a Sailor

Tank Teardown Sale

As some of you know, my brother takes care of the tank while I'm away and I only get to do maintenance on it a couple times a month. As a result it's really suffered and I even lost most of my livestock in a crash about a year and a half ago and have yet to restock. Using my trips home to fix problems has gotten to be a real chore and I no longer get to enjoy the tank. If I wasn't so stubborn I would have admitted to myself a long time ago that I no longer had the time or money to keep it, but I'm far too stubborn for that. Now it looks like I'll be moving within the year so I think the time has finally come for me to tear things down. I don't plan to leave the hobby completely, but I'll be tankless for a while.

Here's what I've got for sale, due to the crash a lot of it is damaged goods so I'll let it go for cheap. Make me some offers. I'm not trying to make a whole lot of money off this stuff, so anything reasonable.

Caulastrea- mint green with about 30+ heads at last count, probably pushing 40 by now.

Royal Gramma- At least 4 years old, full grown, plump, and very healthy. Never shown any signs of disease.

Maze brain- ~5 inches across. This thing survived the tank crash, but is damaged. There are patches of bare skeleton that cover about 1/3 of the coral, it's otherwise healthy and growing.
Here is a picture of what it looked like pre-crash. The color isn't as vibrant anymore, but proper care can fix that.

2 Fungia with babies- The original corals are dead, but the skeletons are both sprouting a few dozen babies which can be broken off as they grow. The largest babies at the moment are about half an inch and growing quickly. They're green with pink edges.

Acropora cf. efflorescens- This is about a 1.5'' frag of the mother colony at Coral Reef Aquatics. The base is encrusted and growth is good, however it apparently didn't like where I moved it last month and is bleached.

I don't have any current pictures of any of these, but I should be able to post some either Thursday or Friday if anyone is interested. I should be at the meeting on the 15th and can bring everything with me.
Old 12/11/2007, 09:49 PM
Registered Member

Still getting rid of the live rock? I seriously want that for my new tank. Thanks.
Old 12/11/2007, 10:18 PM
Registered Member

reef tank

I was wondering what size your reef tank was and if you had a metal halide light
Old 12/12/2007, 08:21 AM
Soul of a Sailor

Caulastrea has been claimed.

Joe I PMed you about the rock.

The tank is a 29 with a 250w DE halide. None of the equipment is for sale though since I plan to set up a tank again once I get settled.
Old 12/14/2007, 05:16 PM
Soul of a Sailor

Here are pictures of the corals that are still available.

Sorry about this one, but it's in a hard to photograph spot.
Old 12/14/2007, 05:29 PM
Troll

What is the first one in your last post? How much do you want for it? Are you coming to the meeting tomorrow at Tomoko's?
Old 12/14/2007, 06:27 PM
Fish Yenta

The first one looks like a fungia that has budded out and will be about 30 fungias eventually.
Old 12/14/2007, 11:01 PM
Soul of a Sailor

Yep, the first two are Fungia skeletons with lots of babies sprouting. As they get bigger you can snap them off and you end up with lots of adult Fungia. That's actually how I originally got both of the parents.

I don't have any firm prices in mind for any of the corals and I've gotten some PMs about a few of them so I don't want to make any promises tonight. I'll bring anything that hasn't sold by tomorrow to the meeting and work something out with whoever wants them though. I'm not really trying to make money and I realize these are scratch and dent corals, so I'll pretty much take anything reasonable.
Old 12/15/2007, 11:56 AM
Soul of a Sailor

I've also got half a bucket of IO and some Salifert test kits to get rid of. The tests are pretty fresh and still have lots of reagents.
Old 12/17/2007, 10:55 PM
Registered Member

anything left?
how about prices?
Old 12/19/2007, 08:21 AM
Soul of a Sailor

Here's what's left and some idea of prices. Nothing is really firm though. I really need to get rid of this stuff.

Maze Brain- $30 I measured it and it's actually about 6'' across at the widest point, so it's big.
Royal Gramma-$10
Acro- $10
1/2 bucket of salt- $10
Salifert KH and Ca tests- $5 each
Old 12/19/2007, 09:22 AM
Troll

Bean;

If you can bring over here in the next day or so I'll just take it all. PM me for directions.
Old 12/20/2007, 07:44 AM
Troll

Just wanted to see how she would look!
Old 12/20/2007, 08:10 AM
Registered Member

She is the best looking woman I have seen in a long while (or maybe ever)!!!
Old 12/20/2007, 09:23 AM
Registered Member

That's not greanbean?
Old 12/22/2007, 09:12 PM
Soul of a Sailor

Everything's been spoken for.
Old 12/22/2007, 09:34 PM
Registered Member

Mike,
Thanks again for meeting me with the rock. The encrusting coral and polyps are doing great as well. Also had a few hitchhiker snails! I really appreciated it and hope you have a Merry Christmas!
Old 12/23/2007, 10:35 PM
Soul of a Sailor

No problem. The encrusting coral is Psammocora. It grows pretty fast and it's super hardy. It was probably my favorite coral. I hope it does well for you. Merry Christmas.