Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/12/2005, 05:23 PM
Minion

Quote:
Originally posted by TippyToeX
So I'm sorry this is such a bad picture.
Absolutely horrible pic

Just horrible...

ROFLMAO

They look good.. Wow, its been 5 weeks already? dang!

..an additional 2 foot extension.. That thing hurt many people..

"Hold your children close."
Jim Hobbs
Old 11/13/2005, 07:44 AM
Registered Member

Amy,

You can more than welcome to come & photograph any of my fish - I really like your pics!

Best of luck with your clowns.

Kelly
Old 11/17/2005, 10:57 PM
TRC Leader

I wish I could take pics of your fish Kelly. I'd love all those predators giving me the evil eye Can you get pics of the sharks in your pond? I always wondered that.

Just got home from a few days out of state. The clowns are looking good! I can't wait till the weekend when I can start to slowly get the SG up to the display level.
Old 11/18/2005, 12:21 AM
Fish Yenta

In the display by Thanksgiving weekend, maybe?
Old 11/18/2005, 02:23 AM
TRC Leader

Quote:
Originally posted by NicoleC
In the display by Thanksgiving weekend, maybe?
I think so.
Old 11/21/2005, 01:03 PM
TRC Leader

Charlie and Lucy have been in Qt with a hypo treatment for 6 weeks as of the 19th. I've already started to bring the SG up to the display level.

So, I am going from 1.009 to 1.025. Right now it's at 1.012 and they are happy as ever. Eating and swishing around in their bowl. I've just done daily water changes and will continue to do so with slightly elevated salt water (each day higher then the next). As I said above I hope this will be finished by next weekend. I can't wait to see them in the main tank!

I'll try to get some new pictures posted today.
Old 11/21/2005, 01:43 PM
TRC Leader

Free Charlie & Lucy!

T-shirts available at your local Wal-Mart - Buy one today!
Old 11/21/2005, 02:58 PM
TRC Leader

ROFL
Old 11/21/2005, 06:20 PM
Team RC Member

Amy, this thread has been very helpful to me, as I also have a perc in quarantine. At this stage is it also acceptable to allow the water to evaporate and not top-off with RO/DI, thereby increasing the specific gravity of the tank water? My perc is in a 20g QT and I was considering this as an option, since losing a couple gallons of volume over time should not stress the system.

p.s. I called Wal-Mart and put a shirt on hold for me!
Old 11/21/2005, 06:54 PM
Fish Yenta

As long as the salinity is rising slowly enough (.01 to .02) per day, evaporation is a fine way to bring the salinity back up after hypo. You may still need to do some water changes, though.
Old 11/21/2005, 09:22 PM
TRC Leader

Dudester - Nicole said it best. That's a fine way to do it so long as the rise in SG is not too much too quickly. Do you have any pictures of your percs? I'd love to see them.

Too funny Marc!
Old 11/21/2005, 10:06 PM
RIP-You'll be remembered

Pretty clowns Amy.... going the 7 gallon?
Old 11/21/2005, 11:19 PM
TRC Leader

Thanks Jordan! No, they are going into the 29g. It's just for them and the new anemone.

Here is a pic of them from tonight. Silly ol Charlie would not have any of it with the camera. He was all about showing me his backside.

Old 11/22/2005, 10:45 AM
Team RC Member

Amy (and anyone else interested), actually I have only 1 perc in quarantine. I had received a mated pair of percs from a friend, and they were doing quite well in his tank. They both had lesions of lymphocystis, the female with a rather noticable white growth on her gills, and the male with a tiny white spot behind his gills. I placed them in my display tank, as I did not have a QT at that time . They both ate and adapted quite well to my tank, hosting in my frogspawn. Unfortunately after 3 days, the female became ill and died quite suddenly. I don't want to hijack this wonderful thread, so if you're interested here's the story of her demise.

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=696622

At any rate, my male appeared lonely and I have a new juvenile true perc IN QUARANTINE that I hope to mate with the one in my display. I anticipate that my male will become female and my juvenile will assume a male sex.

I don't have any pics to share today, but I will by the end of the week and I'll post here if you're still interested.
Old 11/23/2005, 02:11 PM
TRC Leader

Dudester - I'm sorry you lost that female. At least her death was not in vain because it taught you the need to QT your livestock. When will the new little clown be added to the display? Looking forward to those pics.

The QT tank is now at 1.019. Both clowns look great!
Old 11/23/2005, 02:25 PM
Registered Member

so a big tetra air pump is better to keep PH up than a powerhead in a Q.T.??

It's difficult to get a man to understand something that his salary requires him not to.
Old 11/23/2005, 05:38 PM
TRC Leader

E-A-G-L-E-S - My experience for this tank and it's location has been that an air wand or stone has done a much better job at keeping pH up then any powerhead. I am quite sure that varies from tank to tank and is not the "norm".

If you are worried about pH in your QT setup I'd suggest you experiment before you receive your arrival. Try both and see what works best for you.
Old 11/25/2005, 03:19 PM
TRC Leader

Currently we are at 1.024

I declare Sunday as the day for the big transfer!
Old 11/25/2005, 10:37 PM
Team RC Member

Looking forward to hearing (and seeing) how it goes - sure it'll be smooth as silk. Sorry, still working on those pics of my percs for you.
Old 11/26/2005, 02:14 PM
TRC Leader

Thanks Dudester, I hope it goes smoothy. No rush on the pics, but when you do have them please post.

OK I have an agenda today for Charlie and Lucy. I am going to do a large water change (more than 50%) using water from the display tank. So that they get even morte use to what is to come. The water quality for the display is as follows:
  • Ammonia 0
  • Nitrites o
  • Nitrates 5ppm
  • Temp 82 degrees
  • Salinity 1.025
  • pH 8.2 (and that only happens with a 24/7 kalk drip)
  • Ca 375
  • Alk 11dkh

The only thing in the display tank is the Macrodactyla doreensis (LTA anemone), about 30 pounds or so of live rock, a somewhat deep sand bed (need to add a good 3" when I move it next month). I also went out a bought a clay pot for them to go to. I am somewhat paranoid that they will feel lost without a bowl like they have and love in the QT tank. I have little to no hope of them going to the LTA right away or at all. It's not a natural host to Percula clowns. So the clay pot can give them the comfort they might need while they adjust to the new tank.

I also wonder how they will take to the water flow. They have been in a tranquil little tank with out 10 x's turn over. The main tank has over 35x's turn over. poor little devils are going to get a ride when they hit the tank. I know they can take it, it's not like it's anything close to what they deal with in the wild. I just wonder how they will adjust.

OK enough ramblings. I'll take a pic of the main tank in a little bit to show you all what it looks like.
Old 11/26/2005, 02:44 PM
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TippyToeX

I also wonder how they will take to the water flow. They have been in a tranquil little tank with out 10 x's turn over. The main tank has over 35x's turn over. poor little devils are going to get a ride when they hit the tank. I know they can take it, it's not like it's anything close to what they deal with in the wild. I just wonder how they will adjust.
I put a MaxiJet 900 powerhead in my QT for that very reason! I know it looks aweful, but I also used the venturi attachment for bubbles, figuring I was getting the benefits of both an airstone (for oxygenation and pH control) and a powerhead (?).
Old 11/27/2005, 10:06 PM
TRC Leader

I think that's a great idea Dudester. I might try that next time. What are you able to keep your pH at?

Well it's been 7 weeks but the day has finally come. Both Charlie and Lucy are in the display tank. Here are two amazingly bad photos.

It went so smoothly I was shocked. The QT tank parameters matched the display tanks perfectly. So I just reached into the QT tank, both clowns dove into their bowl. I picked the bowl up, walked to the 29g, dipped the bowl in and they swam over to their new terra cotta pot. They have not left that spot since.

They ate a good meal tonight (cyclopeeze). A little time was spent adjusting to the higher flow but they didn't panic. They just fought it till they found a good bobbing rhythm. Now the lights are out and they look to be settled in.

I'm a little sad to have broken down the QT tank. I drained it, washed it out with bleached and water (as well as the HOB filter, PVC, and heater) then rinsed it out really well. Now it's just running with fresh water to get the last of any bleach out. It's going to be odd not having to take care of that tank. I really did enjoy the time they were in QT.

I am happy they are healthy and happy in the display tank and will give me years and years of enjoyment (I hope) in there.

Now.. will they ever go to the LTA is the questions.
Old 11/27/2005, 10:17 PM
"Old Yeller"

No need to go to extremes removing the bleach, it dissipates very rapidly in the air. In food preparation, we just spray down surfaces and let it dry, it is gone.
Old 11/27/2005, 11:23 PM
Registered Member

Amy,

They look good in their display tank.....now what to add to the empty QT ?

Best of luck,

Kelly
Old 11/27/2005, 11:27 PM
Registered Member

lol

It's difficult to get a man to understand something that his salary requires him not to.