Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics

Old 06/14/2007, 11:13 AM
Premium Member

Thumbs down Live Rock ...

Ok , I have a 75 Gal tank. and have about 40 lbs of LR in it ... the tank is doing well its fully cycled. I have 2 clown fish, LTA, Powder Blue Tang, Royal dotty back, and a hand full of different corals all LPS. so down to the question. I am wanting to add about 40-60lbs more LR to the tank. it looks rather light to me in respects to the rest of the tank i have a pict posted if you care to look ... it isnt the best pic in the woeld but there is one there. What are some ideas of adding the LR. is it not good to add more after you have cycled the tank? will it super shock my coral? will it hurt the fish? i hear i will get a extreamly high nitrite spike in the tank?
Old 06/14/2007, 02:38 PM
Registered Member

Your more than likely going to get another cycle. Your prob better adding 1 or 2 pieces at a time let it stabilize add another 1 or 2 pieces. JMO
Old 06/14/2007, 02:41 PM
Cyanobacteria farmer

Hello David,
First of all, dont sweat about rock's color. "Lightish" is normal color of new rocks, because most likely coralline that was on it at one point started to die off. Over time, the coralline algae will grow over again. No worries.
As far as adding new rocks to established/cycled tank, you need to cure your new rocks outside of tank. Read up on curing techniques. Then, when they are cured, it will be totally safe to add them to you tank.

good luck, and Reef ON!
Old 06/14/2007, 11:21 PM
Premium Member

Thanks for the respopnses... I have cured the live rock i intend to add for almost 3 weeks now.. i was just nervious about adding anything to the tank .. it seems to be doing so well.
Old 06/15/2007, 01:21 AM
Cyanobacteria farmer

In that case, going slow wont hurt anything. Just keep water moving in your curing container. And for paranoid person like me, I'd be always checking for ammonia in that container just before transferring rocks (so I can sleep at night)

-- edit --

just thought of something: In the unlikely case (but who really knows) if you get ammonia spike in your tank keep bottle of "Prime" on hand just in case.
Old 06/15/2007, 02:44 PM
Registered Member

In a healthy system adding a few pieces of LR will not be a problem. However, if you are doubling the amount then you will have to cure it outside the tank.