Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/08/2005, 12:09 PM
TRC Leader

Lightbulb Quarantine 101

Well I haven’t received any new fish in a long time so it’s been awhile since I have needed to set up my quarantine tank. I am getting ready to welcome a pair of Percula clownfish today and I needed to be ready. They wild caught and I am anticipating disease (not to say that captive breed can’t have disease). I thought I’d document what I will be doing for them and how I go about quarantining my fish. For as much as Anthony speaks of the need to quarantine I thought it would be a good idea to have such a thread in here with his (and many others) input!

So I thought my 17 gallon acrylic tank would do the trick. It’s the right size for the fish I want to QT as they are both under 2�. It’s pretty basic. I use to use this tank as sump many years ago (you can see the hole in the right side for the return pump, and how beat up it is) but have it sealed up to use as my QT tank. It was a cheap and fitting idea. People don’t need to go out a buy a brand new fancy tank. I’ve seen quarantine tanks using a Rubbermaid tub and it was excellent! I lined the back and sides black, leaving only the front open for viewing. I also covered the top with eggcrate to keep any jumpers in place

Equipment list:
  • 17 gallon tank
  • Heater
  • HOB (hang on back) filter
  • Small powerhead and or air pump (I’m using the air pump this time)
  • PVC for hiding
  • Tank cover (eggcrate)
  • Thermometer
  • Test kits
  • Medications (think ahead!)
  • Ammonia lock and Ammonia badge (to let me know if things get out of hand)
  • Refractometer

I don’t use any lighting right now. This is in a dimly lit room and the tank will only really get ambient room light and a little sun light from a near by window. Later on I will add some lights, but for now I don’t bother. I think it helps keep the fish calm to have a dimly lit tank. The PVC is for the fish to have a place to hide and escape to. No live rock and no sand! It is likely that I will treat this tank with some sort of medication so I am not out to destroy good rock or sand.

The hang on back filter has a sponge in it, which had been in my main tank for a good 5 days. The tank is filled with salt water from my main display. SG 1.025, pH 8.3. Temp at 81 degrees. I will be doing frequent water changes to keep the water quality nice and high. As well as siphoning out food and waste at the end of the day to help make my water quality upkeep easy. The ammonia lock is in case of emergency and the ammonia badge lets me know if anything is getting out of hand. I also have 10 gallons of aged salt water ready at all times in case I need to do a big water change.

Here are some links about a basic setup that will prove helpful.

An Ounce of Prevention is Worth a Pound of Cure

QT Procedures for Clownfish

OK, some pics! Forgive the poor quality. I was wrestling a puppy the whole time trying to take them.

Pretty simple, nice area to slide this tank (it’s in a guest bathroom that gets no use).

You can see the HOB filter in this one. Pardon the puppy, he is a camera whore.

Places to hide! Also that bowl is pretty nifty for clowns, that or a clay pot. They love to swish around in there.

The ammonia alert and you might make out the bubbler in the background. I am using the bubbles because it is better at keeping the pH up. This room can get stuffy so it really does need it. Also, you can see the hash mark for the water level. So I know when it's time to top off with RO/DI water.

As of now this QT has been up and running for three days.
Old 10/08/2005, 12:13 PM
TRC Leader

Now I am waiting for the clowns to get here. There should be here before noon I hope. I’ll go over how I like to acclimate them, as well as how I give a formalin bath prior to release into QT. Clownfish often come in with brooklynellosis and that must be addressed.

As well as other medications, dropping the salinity of the water, feedings, and how long I intend to keep them in QT.

Last edited by Nagel; 10/08/2005 at 01:58 PM.
Old 10/08/2005, 01:17 PM
TRC Leader

Woohoo! They both just arrived and are alive and kicking.

They were washed out gray and pale orange but once the air stone got in and they warmed up some the color came right back!

Here is the first one in it's little breeder box.

He/she and his/her pal are being acclimated right now. The bag water was 77 degrees, pH was 7.9, 1.022. Not too bad. Over the next hour I will get them use to the new parameters. I am going to drop the QT tank salinity to 1.022.

Then it's bath time! More on that soon to come.
Old 10/08/2005, 01:20 PM
Fish Yenta

What a gorgeous perc!

So... are you going to do hypo with these guys?
Old 10/08/2005, 01:45 PM
TRC Leader

Thanks Nicole!

Glad to see you here because I know you have a lot of knowledge on fish disease and treatment. I'd really appreciate your input.

Indeed, I am going to go with hypo treatment for them. I've always heard/read that the use of copper will rule out of at the least diminish the case of fertile spawning in the future.
Old 10/08/2005, 02:03 PM
Minion

Nice coloration! Very black and a bright orange to boot..

I agree, copper is bad.. Clowns are very intolerant of copper and while I cant offer a definitive yes / no to the infertility bit, I have read some statements to that effect as well...

The dim lighting IS good, my Q tank only receives overflow light from my other tanks.. Definately lowers their stress level I believe.

Question for ya... Did you seed the filter by letting it run on your main tank for a little bit? I always have an air driven sponge filter sitting in the sump here to keep it seeded. When I need it, I pull it out and pop it in the Q tank. I then put a new one in the sump in case I end up medicating the one in the Q tank...

ps. I fixed your link above also..

Looking good!

..an additional 2 foot extension.. That thing hurt many people..

"Hold your children close."
Jim Hobbs
Old 10/08/2005, 02:18 PM
TRC Leader

Thanks Erik, and I appreciate the link fix.

Yep, the sponge for the HOB filter was in my main tanks sump for a good 5 days. Well seeded. Steven Pro taught me that one from his article.

Little guys are in their formalin bath right now. Nice blue-green water to swim around in. You have to watch them closely so that they don't stress out or lay at the bottom. Formalin can drop the pH of the water drastically! So the air stone is a must when treating with this.

Always go per the manufacturers suggestion for this treatment. I'll snap a picture of the other clown in it's bath in a little bit. They are both doing very well. This is to treat for brooklynellosis, aka the clownfish disease. A fast and effective killer if left to it's own devices.
Old 10/08/2005, 02:49 PM
TRC Leader

Here is a not so good pic of the other (smaller) perc. You can't tell but he is in his bath right now.

Old 10/08/2005, 03:10 PM
Fish Yenta

Glad to see you here because I know you have a lot of knowledge on fish disease and treatment. I'd really appreciate your input.

Only the stuff learned the hard way

I agree not to do the copper. Hypo should be very effective and clowns tolerate it well. The formalin bath is much harder on them than hypo will be.

You also want to deworm them, but I would get them eating first.

Mama looks a little portly in that first photo -- is she?
Old 10/08/2005, 03:53 PM
TRC Leader

Quote:
Originally posted by NicoleC

Only the stuff learned the hard way
I think that is how most of us learn when we first start off. That's a big part of why it's so good to help on BB like RC. We can make sure no one else has to deal with what we had to deal with.

Quote:
Mama looks a little portly in that first photo -- is she?
She does have a bit of a round belly. I have pipzine ready for a dewormer. Lord knows what she might have a belly full of. I hope to see them eat later this evening. Keeping fingers crossed.
Old 10/08/2005, 07:25 PM
Fish Yenta

Might be eggs, not worms. At least from the photo, the bulge looks farther back, like where eggs would be. I guess you will find out soon!
Old 10/08/2005, 08:34 PM
Registered Member

I've read that covering the tank walls can reduce stress. Can you treat Broklynitis with the hypotreatment.
Old 10/08/2005, 08:45 PM
Fish Yenta

It's unlikely hypo would work, but even if it *would* work, the fish would be dead before the hypo killed off the protazoa that causes brook.

Formalin is the only treatment for brook that I know of. Formalin itself is pretty rough on a fish, but with WC clowns it's a wish precaution.
Old 10/08/2005, 09:06 PM
TRC Leader

Quote:
Might be eggs, not worms. At least from the photo, the bulge looks farther back, like where eggs would be. I guess you will find out soon!
I'll have to keep my eye out! That would be pretty incredible if so.

Quote:
Originally posted by Bugger
I've read that covering the tank walls can reduce stress. Can you treat Broklynitis with the hypotreatment.
I agree with Nicole. Even if hypo could treat the brook, the clown would be long gone. It really is a very quick disease. More info if anyone would care to read more.

"Clownfish Disease" (and other's), Brooklynellosis

Also, more about Formalin. Not something you would use without caution.

Formalin/Formaldehyde... A Toxic, Dangerous Biocide

Update on the clowns. They both ate a little! I soaked some mysis in selcon. They came out from their yellow bowl (they have hung out there most of the day) and both had a few bites. I was so happy!

I need to learn how to photograph fish. I haven't the faintest idea. Off to the photo foum!

Old 10/08/2005, 09:59 PM
Fish Yenta

That's excellent news. Taking to frozen food on the first day they arrived at your house... well, I think you will have no problems with them. Even if they are sick with something, keeping them eating is 9/10 of the battle.

Did you get these guys fresh caught, or have they been holding somewhere? Is it an Inland Aquatics pair?
Old 10/08/2005, 10:03 PM
Clownfish Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by TippyToeX
I've always heard/read that the use of copper will rule out of at the least diminish the case of fertile spawning in the future.
Im sure this is a myth! While im fairly sure it is not the best way to go, if you are more comfortible using copper you should. I put my spawning pair through copper when I got them because I was less experianced and thats what they had at the LFS. If copper makes them infertile I have no idea whats getting the job done.

I really like the looks of your clowns! All the best luck with them and I hope I see questions from you in the breeding forum soon.
David

David Lockwood
Old 10/08/2005, 11:30 PM
Majano Snob

Great looking clowns there Amy!!!
Old 10/09/2005, 12:25 AM
TRC Leader

Quote:
Did you get these guys fresh caught, or have they been holding somewhere? Is it an Inland Aquatics pair?
I was shocked to see them take frozen food so readily. I just hope it keeps up! Tomorrow I will tempt them with cyclopeeze.

The pair as far as I know are fresh caught. I will have to ask my friend who got them for me for more details. He told me to be ready because they will be in rough shape. Not from IA (I am gunning for caps from Morgan). They are out of a wholesaler in LA as far as I know. Whom I am not sure.

Quote:
Originally posted by Dlckwood
Im sure this is a myth! While im fairly sure it is not the best way to go, if you are more comfortible using copper you should. I put my spawning pair through copper when I got them because I was less experianced and thats what they had at the LFS. If copper makes them infertile I have no idea whats getting the job done.
Good to hear! I don't think I would like the idea of using copper unless ick just broke out like wild and I had little choice. I am hoping the hypo for a good 6 or 8 weeks will do the trick.

Quote:
I really like the looks of your clowns! All the best luck with them and I hope I see questions from you in the breeding forum soon.
Thanks! I dearly hope to be doing just that one day soon.

Quote:
Originally posted by CodeToad
Great looking clowns there Amy!!!
Thanks Mattmeister!

Last edited by TippyToeX; 10/09/2005 at 12:57 AM.
Old 10/09/2005, 07:07 AM
Registered Member

Amy,

Congrats on your new pair!

Nice pics - especially the one with Odie - he is growing!

Good job with the QT! One suggestion for your clowns - especially since they probably are still feeling the effects of shipping, wholesaler, etc and are really prone to infections/ parasites. I would add beta glucan to their diet at least daily. This will boost their immune systems and help them fight off opportunistic bacteria and parasites. I have used this for a couple of years now & have had good luck with it.

Also make sure you monitor the pH daily as it tends to drop while using hyposalinity.

Best of luck with your new pair.

Kelly
Old 10/09/2005, 09:12 AM
Registered Member

Amy,

Forgot to post the link for beta glucan:

http://www.marineaquariumadvice.com/...modulator.html

Best of luck!

Kelly
Old 10/09/2005, 02:20 PM
TRC Leader

Thanks Kelly! I have a wonderful pic of Odie I'm going to email you later. You will crack up. He is growing like a weed. From 10 pounds when I first got him after MACNA to 22 pounds right now.

That is a perfect article, thanks for the link! I know both you and Anthony have mentioned the use of beta glucan in the past. It slipped my mind to ask for more details. I'll head off to the store and get some tablets. So you sprinkle it fairly liberally? Or does a little go a long way?

Thanks for the help!
Old 10/09/2005, 04:59 PM
Registered Member

Amy,

I wouldn't get too hung up with the exact dose, but overdosing will not hurt but does not add any more protection or boost in the immune system. A little does go a long way.

Yes, I converted Anthony to being a beta glucan user after his Christmas present arrived with a horrible case of lymphocystis.

Beta glucan comes in both tablets (mortar & pestle are great kitchen items to have) & capsules (when you are in a hurry, just open & sprinkle).

Can't wait to see the pics.

Best of luck to your new pair of clowns and of course a big hug to Odie.

Kelly
Old 10/09/2005, 05:20 PM
Fish Yenta

Interesting article; beta glucan might be a worthwhile addition to the fish food recipe.

Come to think on it, we have a severe strain of K9 flu going around, and my old pooch is unlikely to survive if he catches it. Might be good for him, too!
Old 10/09/2005, 05:45 PM
TRC Leader

Quote:
Originally posted by Puffer Queen
I wouldn't get too hung up with the exact dose, but overdosing will not hurt but does not add any more protection or boost in the immune system. A little does go a long way.
Good to know. I'l see about getting some tomorrow. Looking forward to seeing the pair take to it and gain even more strength.
Old 10/09/2005, 06:07 PM
TRC Leader

Here they are (working on names) in their bowl after a feast of cyclopeeze. They are little pigs!