Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/15/2003, 09:24 AM
Registered Member

Sumps vs. Skimmers

Greetings all,

I'm new to RC and have had a 125 gal. FOWLR system for about 8 weeks now. I originally was only going to go with LR and lots of fish but as I progressed in setting up the tank I decided to go with a bit of a reef with some fish. I have about 30# of LR, 1 Clark Clown, 1 Spotted Puffer, 1 Green Brittle Star, 1 Snowflake Eel (eventually will be moved to a possible 55 gal. fish only tank in hopefully the near future), 2 Conch, 1 Turbo, 1 Turbo Grazer, 1 Coral-banded Shrimp, 30 assorted crabs (mainly Blue-leg & Scarlet Hermit crabs, and 1 unidentified crab habitating one of the LR), 1 Rock Blennie, 2+ Feather Dusters, 2 Condys, 1 Yellow Star Polyp, 1 Leather, 2 Mushroom coral, 1 Gorgonian, and 1 Button Zoanthid. The water parameters are fine and I am looking to add more LR soon. Probably jumped into adding the fish too soon (like that doesn't happen at one time or another) but everyone is getting along fine and the water quality is good. My question is this, would it be recommended to add a sump first and then a skimmer, go only with the sump or go only with a skimmer? At a LFS they have an acrylic one for the size tank for $200 and they have skimmers starting at $170. I would like to do the sump but I am looking at cost effectiveness here. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks to all!
Old 04/15/2003, 09:33 AM
Refurbished Reefer.

Wow that is a stocked new tank.
Keep up on your water changes meticuolously and hopefully all will be ok.
I would recommend implementing a skimmer and sump AT THE SAME TIME.
The reason for this is so you can get a quality in sump skimmer.
If money is a problem then I would get the sump first (while doing weekly changes of water) and then a quality skimmer.

But here is where hopefully you can save some money.
You do not need any fancy-schmancy acrylic sumps.

Measure the inside of your canopy (including the amount of space afforded you by the doors-That is IMPORTANT) go to a pet store and find the largest tank (probably a 29 gallon) and use that as a sump. Probably cost about $40.
Is your tank Reef Ready or are you going to need overflow boxes?
If boxes I suggest the "U" Tube style. www.lifereef.com makes good ones.

With the money you saved on the sump you can put it towards a skimmer.
Myreefcreations.com makes quality ones as do euroreef, lifreef and a few others.

Hope this helps.
Old 04/15/2003, 09:54 AM
Fish Addict

Agree w/Sean....save $$ on the sump unless you're gonna want to do something realy fancy where custom/premade sometimes is a better decision. In general, for 80% of hobbyists, a rubbermaid tub (roughneck or other food grade) will work just fine as will a spare tank. Especially if you're gonna use a submersible pump. Then save for the skimmer you want.
Old 04/15/2003, 11:24 AM
Registered Member

I have to agree with Sean go with a skimmer in sump setup at the same time. I got a CPR Backpack Skimmer with my Amiracle sump for about $250.00 total. shop around.
Old 04/15/2003, 09:47 PM
Proud reefaholic

go for both!!!
But saving on a sump will let you buy a bigger-better skimmer.
Remember the skimmer is one of the most important pieces of equipment for your tank.
Old 04/15/2003, 09:48 PM
Proud reefaholic

BTW you can visit my web page and you will see the design of my sump, it is a DIY sump and its design has proven to be very simple and effective.
HTH
Marco
Old 04/15/2003, 10:23 PM
Registered Member

Holy crap!,get yourself an overflow and a 30g aquarium and return pump for your sump,and get an Aerofoamer skimmer (www.reefconcepts.com) ASAP!...Riot.....
Old 04/16/2003, 07:26 AM
Registered Member

On-going Sump vs. Skimmer dilemma

Hey thanks for all of your input! After reviewing all of the replies I think that the sump is a better route to go for now. Probably in a month we'll get a skimmer but cost wise we can't do both right now. The tank cycled well and again all of the parameters are good. We're going to add some more LR but from some sources that I've read, in books and on the Net, it takes 3-4 weeks to "cure" LR. Why should I cure LR that is supposedly cured already from the LFS? Does it have to do with controlling the amount of die off that is on the LR and what you subject your tank to? I imagine that curing it before you put it into your main tank would control the Nitrates and Phosphates that might be on the LR, not to mention finding any "stowaways" that might be detrimental to the current inhabitants.