Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/09/2008, 01:10 PM
Registered Member

How important is a bubble trap in a sump?

How important is a bubble trap in a sump? I ask because I am setting up a 30 gallon long as a sump/refugium for my 75 gallon reef tank. On my last reef, I just built my partitions and had no buble trap at all. I also had absolutely NO microbubbles in my display tank.

Please elaborate with any thoughts you may have. I am still unsure whether i will add a bubble trap or not to my sump.

Thanks
Old 01/09/2008, 01:19 PM
I hate line 42!!!!!!!

I used to have a 30g long as a sump for my 125g. I just sectioned it off with no bubble traps either. I never had any bubble problem. If you didnt have any issues before, I think you will be fine this time around too.
Old 01/09/2008, 01:27 PM
Registered Member

I hear you. I had to ask because I am essentially starting from scratch on my new 75. I don't want to have to do any construction once I get water in it.

Seems like every website I look at for DIY sumps say to install the bubble trap; 2 down, 1 up, with an inch of separation between pieces of glass.

I was planning to use a big piece of PVC with holes drilled in it to accept the drain water from my display tank. I saw the idea a while back from a thread called "Ghetto Beauty" that a guy had done. His setup was beautifully simplistic.
Old 01/09/2008, 01:38 PM
I hate line 42!!!!!!!

Yeah, I mean I am not telling to not to do it but I didnt and hadnt had any issues for the year I was using it. Either way its a sump and it will be benefiting your tank bubble trap or not.
Old 01/09/2008, 01:51 PM
Nothing to put here

It depends a lot on the type of skimmer you are using IMO. If you skimmer isn't putting out that many bubbles, dont worry about it. I wouldnt dream of not having baffles with my beckett though.
Old 01/09/2008, 01:59 PM
Registered Member

I had problems for a while but some clever placement of the pump fixed the problem.
Old 01/09/2008, 02:42 PM
Registered Member

I just bought the Octopus Extreme 150 to put in the sump. Hopefully there will be little to no bubbles expelled back into the sump water.
Old 01/09/2008, 02:45 PM
Registered Member

I really think it's dependent on the rest of the sump design. I just pulled my baffles out of my sump because there were no bubbles to trap, and the baffles were using up valuable space.
Old 01/09/2008, 02:53 PM
Registered Member

If you have a auto top off to keep your water leval consistant for your skimmer and dont have micro bubble problems there is no issue. I did not put baffles in my sump and I am kicking myself now though but I run a PM bullet-2 beckett and have a micro bubble issue that I was stuped enougph to look over when setting up.
Old 01/09/2008, 03:11 PM
Registered Member

Any trap that draws water/bubbles downward creates more issues than it solves imo. If you're going to use a baffle I would design it so water runs over it..not under. I have found keeping the bubbles near the surface and drawing my return near the bottom is the best design.
Old 01/09/2008, 03:46 PM
Registered Member

Worse comes to worst, you can always rig some in there. Because my 125's sump is rubbermaid, there's no baffles, but I did have microbubble issue, so I laid two sheets of acrylic on top of the return pump and it solved them.