Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/27/2007, 01:40 PM
667 (Evil and then some)

There's another issue besides flavor, temperature control. You can tweak and adjust as you go with a gas grill where a charcoal grill is much harder to adjust. As I understand it, you can't set up temperature zones on a pellet grill.

Finally, if you're going to cook some of the more delicate stuff on indirect heat (e.g. a turkey) you're going to have to restock the coals mid-way through the cooking in a charcoal grill. That's not an issue for gas or pellet.

Charcoal grills are, however, not nearly as bad about flaming up as gas grills are. A little squirt of water here n there will keep the coals burning with little or no flame while the gas grills quickly ignite grease drippings.
Old 06/27/2007, 02:38 PM
Registered Member

An easy way to control temp over charcoal is to stack the coals in one area for the hot zone and thin them out (or move them all over) on the other for a cooler side. You will still get the oven temps with the lid closed.

It works well and offers you a place to put food that is closer to being done than food that is not.

I have never used pellets though.. I will have to look into them might be something to try.

Beerguy - on snake handling

Jeremy
Old 06/27/2007, 02:49 PM
667 (Evil and then some)

You can set up temperature zones that way, but controlling the actual temp of the grill as a whole isn't as easy. Especially if you're grilling for a crowd and need it to burn for a good length of time.

The gas grill, you can set it to a certain temperature and be pretty close on your cooking times each time you grill for as long as you want.
Old 06/27/2007, 03:21 PM
Team RC Member

I think I lust extremely after a pellet grill, but budget is going to force something a few hundred dollars more modest.

Thanks to all of you: I have followed your links and done some research and I think I'm probably going to get something soon. I'm a campfire cook at heart---iron skillet and a tendency to crank the heat up and adjust it by moving the skillet, a habit I've sworn to break with this newfangled delicate T-fal and no good vent in the kitchen; but outdoors, with a grill, I can be me and do really killer steaks and salmon.
I'm going to be looking strongly at: ease of starting, ease of cleaning, ease of cooking for a length of time and I'm going to go to Lowe's and have a look at what they offer.

"Make haste slowly." ---Augustus.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.
Old 06/27/2007, 05:45 PM

Coming in a little late...but my advice would be to get one that has cast iron grilling racks rather than stainless grills and make sure it has a thermometer so you know what the temp is inside there before you toss on those steaks (or even bake).

Down here we also have to have a smoker --- that's real bbq, but you probably know all about that since your from Oklahoma

So long, & thanks for all the fish!
Old 06/27/2007, 11:07 PM
Team RC Member

Oh, yeah...
What I ended up with, at 169.00, was a Brinkmann charcoal grill with a crank to raise/lower the coals, a pullout ash pit, two table 'wings', a lid, a thermometer, and porcelainized cast iron grill grids, 4 wheels and a bottom shelf. I'm going to get the hang of this [I'm good with an Aussie grill] and maybe when this wears out, I'm going for something fancier. Got it at Lowe's, 136 lbs unassembled. And with a little coddling, it's capable of smoking: if the Aussie pit can do it, so can this. I was sort of torn with one that had a dedicated smoker on the side and this one, but I was seduced by the porcelain grill and pullout [removeable] ash pit.

THank you all very, very much for your help. I was able to go in there knowing what I was looking at and for, and I think I'll get along with this just fine.

Got a cover for it. I'm going to throw some fancier wood chips on it for more flavor, and now I'm just looking for one of those electric loop starters, which I may have a line on. We're allergic to kerosene and other such, so I want either to use a woodfire start or an electric.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.
Old 06/27/2007, 11:16 PM
Moved In

Congratulations, forget the loop get one of these, you'll be impressed.

Quote:
Originally posted by Q-ball
Lighter fluid??? Don't need no lighter fluid with one of these:

Powertripping~is that a song or a dance?

RC Lounge~Humor Questionable ~Enter At Own Risk!
Old 06/27/2007, 11:18 PM
On "The List"

Quote:
Originally posted by Q-ball
Lighter fluid??? Don't need no lighter fluid with one of these:

skip the electric, you'll love this

HEY! I lost it first ~CRP

There is no "Brain" in "Brian." ~Beerguy
Old 06/27/2007, 11:23 PM
On "The List"

~debi~! quit copying me!!
I'm gonna tell!!

Sk8r, enjoy the new grill!!
when's supper at your place?

Old 06/27/2007, 11:25 PM
Moved In

I was 2 minutes ahead of you.

Old 06/27/2007, 11:28 PM
On "The List"

behold: the powers of the moderator!
time shifts, etc

Old 06/27/2007, 11:37 PM
Moved In

Get a grip Bart, even I can't change time.

A link Sk8r
http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/chimney.html

Old 06/27/2007, 11:38 PM
Moved In

http://www.amazon.com/Weber-87886-Ch.../dp/B00004U9VV

Old 06/27/2007, 11:40 PM
Moved In

http://www.nextag.com/Brinkmann-Gril...60/prices-html

Old 06/28/2007, 08:23 AM
667 (Evil and then some)

Quote:
Originally posted by Sk8r
Oh, yeah...
What I ended up with, at 169.00, was a Brinkmann charcoal grill with a crank to raise/lower the coals, a pullout ash pit, two table 'wings', a lid, a thermometer, and porcelainized cast iron grill grids, 4 wheels and a bottom shelf. I'm going to get the hang of this [I'm good with an Aussie grill] and maybe when this wears out, I'm going for something fancier. Got it at Lowe's, 136 lbs unassembled. And with a little coddling, it's capable of smoking: if the Aussie pit can do it, so can this. I was sort of torn with one that had a dedicated smoker on the side and this one, but I was seduced by the porcelain grill and pullout [removeable] ash pit.

THank you all very, very much for your help. I was able to go in there knowing what I was looking at and for, and I think I'll get along with this just fine.

Got a cover for it. I'm going to throw some fancier wood chips on it for more flavor, and now I'm just looking for one of those electric loop starters, which I may have a line on. We're allergic to kerosene and other such, so I want either to use a woodfire start or an electric.

Sounds like an excellent choice!!!!

Oh yeah, my father in law has one of those chimney starters these guys are raving about and they definitely live up to the reputation.
Old 06/28/2007, 11:32 AM
Team RC Member

Thanks all---I just ordered one of those charcoal chimney whazzits. We're hoping to get the thing assembled really quick. I can almost taste those ribeyes...roasted salmon...it's sweet corn season up here and I may violate our diet for a couple of ears. Goes great with the salmon and a dish of fresh blueberries. Mmmm. I may not cook indoors again until it ices over.

Old 06/28/2007, 11:42 AM
clownfish fan

just found this thread didnt read most of the posts but if you want a GRill get gas that will cook foood hot and fast well but if you want flavor or if you want to BBQ you have to have a smoker or at least a charcoal cooker for BBQ you need to have low heat lots of smoke and time

i use a gas start webber its the best of both world and it uses the small camping propane tanks that are easy to handle.

for me all i want for dinner is something from my Webber. i think propane is best used to heat water and cook indoors its very clean and easy but it is nothing like charcoal

oh and try cooking a 10 pound whole beef tenderloin at 600 degrees for 45 minutes and you will soon realize gas isnt hot enough and the flavor isnt there.

you made the right decision going with charcoal