Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Florida Panhandle Reefkeepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11/20/2006, 12:55 AM
Registered Member

Match made in heaven?

Well, I started take two of finding my maroon clownfish a date. I got my new clownfish in from Saltwaterfish.com just this past week, and this one is actually the perfect size. . .about 1". His stripes haven't even turned yellow yet, so a true juvenile. Anyway, just today I put him in the hang-in acrylic container I made for just the occasion. The plan was to have him inside the tank, visible to my larger clown, but separated. . .well, that worked for the first few hours. The big guy. . .sorry, lady. . .found him, made a few charges, and he did the submission dance, quivering, the works. So far, so good. After the first 30 minutes or so, he seemed to realize he was safe, and pretty much just ignored the "attacks". Well, my cleverly constructed holding container has one flaw. There's a small section on the bottom where I broke a piece of the acrylic while cutting it. It's not a very big opening, but obviously big enough for a 1" clownish. So, now he's in the main tank ahead of schedule. The good news is, he's so far unscathed. The attacks from the larger clownfish don't seem to be too brutal. The chases only last a couple seconds, and stop pretty much as soon as the smaller fish retreats. I'm a little nervous because I'll be at work all day tomorrow, but hopefully there are enough hiding spots for the little guy if he gets into any real trouble. I even made a container out of a plastic bottle with a hole only big enough for him if he's actually able to figure out it's a safe place to go. Ah well, wish me luck. I should probably try to catch the little guy, patch the hole in my hang-in container and force him to stop flirting with disaster, but I'm think I'm going to go ahead and take the gamble.

-Mike C.