Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/07/2007, 08:12 AM
Registered Member

Hawian Punch anyone?
Old 05/07/2007, 09:48 AM
Registered Member

I have done a piston setup using a syringe, a motor and a timer.
diy syringe pump

It worked great for a month or two, but after that the alkalinity solution ruined the check valve and that portion no longer worked.
Old 05/07/2007, 04:35 PM
Premium Member

kevin, my DIY piston setup will be a lot more robust than that. The check valves will be built into the pistons (ball type) and everything should be easily cleanable. The checks will be fully flooded and should not precipitate or creep.
Old 05/07/2007, 05:13 PM
Registered Member

Awesome -- so when do we get to see how the DIY piston setup will work? How much do you expect the piston setup to cost? What are you using to drive the piston (A motor like in mine or something else?)
Old 05/08/2007, 07:19 AM
Premium Member

Haha... when, that is a good question.

Yes it will be an electric motor. Costs? I dunno, my guess is in the sub $200 range by the time I get it working. I have not decided between a stepper or an regular motor. I have alsno not decided on how I am going to machine the materials. It could be done with regular shop tools, but I think I may want to have the cylinders machined (less work on my part).
Old 10/23/2007, 10:48 PM
Registered Member

Bringing this back up, I tested the original diagram that MrBojangles created. I had problems with the flow into the small container through the check valve. Is this a specific kind of check valve designed for liquid? I just used air check valves and they dont seem to allow the liquid to flow freely. With out the check valve on the tube from the container holding the 2 part the small container filled fine but when the pump turned on it just forced the liquid back into the resevoir.

Anyone have any luck with this diy version?
Old 10/24/2007, 07:45 AM
Premium Member

Try the duck-bill type check valves. Yes they setup works, you just need to get the checks operating.
Old 10/24/2007, 07:59 AM
Registered Member

I think those are the type I have. They are plastic with what looks like a "duck-bill" inside. The liquid just drips out of it at about 1 drop per 3 seconds. Its very hard to blow air through them in the right direction.
Maybe I need to try another brand. Any suggestions?
Old 10/24/2007, 08:05 AM
Premium Member

Take a look at aquaticeco and see if anything there catches your eye. I have used duck-bills with no problem. It may be the brand.

Do you have a photo of your setup?
Old 10/24/2007, 08:36 AM
Registered Member

i dont have a photo but its in the early stages. I was just testing it. The design is exactly like MrBojangles.
Old 10/24/2007, 12:25 PM
Registered Member

where could i find a air/liquid seperator? Is thats somthing Home Depot or Lows would carry, everything else seems to be very common, just never seen the seperator on such a small scale.
Old 10/24/2007, 12:44 PM
Registered Member

I tried to get this setup for the longest time. Everytime I was close it would always stop working a day or three later. I decided to just go with the manual dosing style

Kinda glad I did it since I need to shake up my Ca and Alk everytime I dose it.
Mandarin Goby.
Old 10/24/2007, 01:39 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by wingmans10
where could i find a air/liquid seperator? Is thats somthing Home Depot or Lows would carry, everything else seems to be very common, just never seen the seperator on such a small scale.
Wine and beer makers airlock.

Don
Old 10/24/2007, 02:43 PM
Premium Member

You should not have to shake up your solutions...
Old 10/24/2007, 02:45 PM
Registered Member

using the stuff from 2partsolutions.com I always have to shake up my Alk first. If I let the CA sit for a week without using it, it will have a little stuff on the bottom, but the Alk always needs it.
Mandarin Goby.
Old 10/24/2007, 02:48 PM
Premium Member

Your not mixing it well enough then
Old 10/24/2007, 03:14 PM
Registered Member

what would you recommend for the mixing other than shaking it until my arms fall off?
Mandarin Goby.
Old 10/24/2007, 03:16 PM
Registered Member

If you heat the water before mixing the baking powder it should all dissolve. Then top it off with the rest of the ro/di.
Old 10/24/2007, 08:38 PM
Brevard Area Reef Society

Quote:
Originally posted by wingmans10
The one in the doser is just a regular check valve for a air pump. All you need is the one with out a spring in it
Old 10/24/2007, 10:01 PM
Registered Member

So I picked up another check valve made by Penn-Plax, it uses a flap. Its filled with cotton so I managed to get all of that out. Now its working fine. The only problem I'm having is when the pump finishes pushing the liquid up to the tank and there is no more pressure to stop the liquid from the doser from trying to fill the small containers. The liquid falls and is imediately pushed up to the tank.

The only solution I see for this is to use a digital timer set for 1 minute. The amount that is pushed up the tank is very minor but if a regular timer that is can only be set for 15 minute intervals were used then this might be a problem.

Mr Bojangles, I'm glad that you responded to this thread. Is your still running without any problems and have you made any adjustments to the original plans? Do you use a digital timer?

Thanks again.
Old 10/24/2007, 11:47 PM
Registered Member

What about having 3 tubes enter the secondary "doser" reservoir. Tube A comes from the main reservoir to the secondary reservoir. Tube B from secondary reservoir to tank. Tube C from air pump to secondary reservoir.

Thus, once the solution is pused out of tube B (and flow begins from tube A, you will have a "buffer" (secondary reservoir). The secondary reservoir would have to fill enough to supply tube B which would allow your timer to cycle off...

May not give you much more time between cycle complete and fill...
Old 10/25/2007, 08:27 AM
Registered Member

Sounds like that would work. I'll that a try.
Old 10/25/2007, 09:33 AM
Registered Member

it was late and I wasn't thinking clearly...

It won't work because the tube that delivers to the tank needs to be in the bottom of the secondary reservoir in order to empty the secondary reservoir. It will suck fluid out until it begins to suck air. Thus, any additional fluid that is dripped into the secondary reservoir would immediately cause the delivery tube to suck liquid again.
Old 10/25/2007, 09:51 AM
Registered Member

I guess I'll just test it on a digital timer for a couple of days and see what happens.
Old 10/25/2007, 02:07 PM
Registered Member

Another option would be to submerge the exit tube a few inches deep in the tank. That should cause a certain amount of pressure to remain in the line. The only problem with that is you might have to worry about a siphon being created from the tank.