Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/12/2007, 01:46 PM
Premium Member

Thanks Todd
Old 10/12/2007, 02:03 PM
Frag-a-holic

Hey Todd, in a couple of weeks, after I get this thing set up and running, you can come over with your Kill-a-watt and we can try all kinds of things with different heights. I am curious, but ultimatley, I just want the thing to work well.

Save a reef, trade a frag!
Old 10/12/2007, 02:11 PM
I buy in bulk!

I would say sure not a problem except that you are over an hour and a half away and I have 2 bulging discs in my lower back that barely tolerate 30 minute rides.

Never argue with a fool, they will lower you to their level and then beat you with experience.

Do not for one minute believe this hobby is cheap or easy. Get a hooker if you want that!
Old 10/12/2007, 02:32 PM
Frag-a-holic

Ahh, I see. Probably the motocross that did it? My Dad is in pretty bad shape also, he raced flat track and scrambles most of his life.

Old 10/12/2007, 02:34 PM
I buy in bulk!

Nope a 350 pound patient being moved onto the stretcher. Nearly 3 months out on work comp with complication after complication.

Never argue with a fool, they will lower you to their level and then beat you with experience.

Do not for one minute believe this hobby is cheap or easy. Get a hooker if you want that!
Old 10/12/2007, 03:32 PM
Premium Member

Recirc or not *does* matter.

The only "height" of the water a recirc sees is the water inside the skimmer body. It's a closed system, and isn't affected by being in or out of water.

A non-recirc, like you tested, is affected by the difference in water pressure generated by what it's sitting in (more or less water depth, thus more or less pressure the pump has to work against to pull in air for one thing)

This is the same set of conditions as a closed loop versus non closed loop, and why you can get away with a non pressure rated pump like a dart on the CL, when you'd have to consider a pressure rated pump for the open loop of a sump return.

Quote:
Originally posted by SlowCobra
The height of the water, regardless of whether it is a recirc or not, will only have so much water in it. You cannot fit 5 gals in a 3 gal container. Perhaps I am wrong and the recirc will not see as much of an effect as the non-recirc. I posted empirical data on what happened with my non-recirc using a kill a watt. Water pressure is water pressure. It does not distinguish between containers or pumps. I may be way off base on this one. I guess someone with a kill a watt and a recirc would need to test it for us to prove or disprove me. I don't mind being proven wrong as long as there is real data to back it up.

The way I look at it, is someone has to be wrong. It isn't so much about being wrong it's learning why you are wrong.
Old 10/12/2007, 04:18 PM
Premium Member

you are right about two pumps being too much i though the diameter was the same but the dual pump is 10" single pump is 8"
Old 10/13/2007, 12:03 AM
DIY Junkie

the dual is also running two OTP2000's...not the 3000's.

Properly modded, 2-OTP3000's could handle a 12" skimmer.
Old 10/19/2007, 05:29 AM
Registered Member

A Question

I just got my new DNW-200. I had some issues with the impeller housing sealing and in doing so broke off the venturi post. No problem I wanted to follow you guys anyway. So I drilled it out and replaced with R/O line. I went for the straight through method and cut a notch in the line. I then did the mesh mod. Up and running making ton's of bubbles. The water looks like milk. I am on day three and no skim mate. I know it can need a breakin period but any thing I may be doing wrong? Where should I set the water level intially? Thanks for the help.
Old 10/19/2007, 10:21 AM
DIY Junkie

slapshot...the initial break in can take up to a week to get all of the manufacturing residues out of the skimmer and build up a good slime coat. do you have a kill-a-watt meter? you should invest in one if you don't already have it. does the pump dtart up on its own? you should start out with your water level down low...prob where the skimmer body starts to transition to the cone.

how are you feeding the skimmer? and how much flow do you have going through it? what size system is ot in?
Old 10/19/2007, 10:30 AM
Registered Member

Thanks for the help! I do not have a meter. yes it starts on its own. that is perfect that is where i have it. just wanted to be sure it would not run away when it kicks in. i feed it by gravity from the sump and I am not real sure how much water is going through it but my guess from looking at it is 500 to 600 GPH. but you know that is not at all accurate.
Old 10/19/2007, 04:30 PM
Frag-a-holic

Lousy picture I know, but can anyone see anything wrong with how I have my DNW-110? It has been going for a week tomorrow and it has only skimmed like 1 up-pass of foam. What do I need to adjust to get it to skim better without modding anything yet.

Old 10/19/2007, 05:20 PM
Registered Member

Have you done any mods? It looks like a stock set-up still. What's your air draw?

It looks just like mine did when I plugged my DNW-200 the first time. Only about 200 LPH of air, and nothing coming out. You're not going to get anything out of it until you get the mesh and the venturi mods done IMO.
Old 10/19/2007, 09:49 PM
Frag-a-holic

It is stock, I can't do the mesh mod because I don't have a Kill-a-Watt meter. What is the venturi mod?

Old 10/19/2007, 10:43 PM
I buy in bulk!

Did you put the gasket on between the pump and the air venturi? If you did, remove it. It is there for when you run the skimmer external so as to seal off any possible leaks. Usually it has a tendency to partially cover the air hole... unless they changed to an O-ring instead of a gasket.

There are few things you can do that would benefit from the use of the kill a watt and a flow meter to figure out exactly what is going on but they can be done fairly safely. Check your PM's.

Old 10/20/2007, 07:39 AM
Brevard Area Reef Society

HELP! Ok, I have a NW-200 and It has been modded to the max, mesh wheel, volute, 90 drilled out, bigger venturi. Now my air gauge use to read 23, but now, it will go to 18 and then over a few hours go to 3 and stay there. I have taken the pump out and run it in vinegar for a hour and cleaned it up, but I don't know whats going on, any helpers?
Old 10/20/2007, 09:19 AM
Premium Member

This may be a dumb question, but I've been trying to figure out a way to mod the skimmer so that it'll work outside a sump. Does anyone know if that's possible. I tried looking through the thread, but my eyes started hurting.
Old 10/20/2007, 09:40 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by d9sccr
This may be a dumb question, but I've been trying to figure out a way to mod the skimmer so that it'll work outside a sump. Does anyone know if that's possible. I tried looking through the thread, but my eyes started hurting.
you would have to make it a recirc skimmer. This was you could feed it from the sump and have the return go back to the sump. Without doing that, it really won't work.
Old 10/20/2007, 10:16 AM
Registered Member

try the easy stuff first... start with flushing out the venturi.. do the meleve hot cup of water thing... put a glass of water in the microwave for 2 minutes then let the venturi suck it up.. if thats not it then i would have a look at the mesh wheel... see if it's still secured right ... maybe oven switch it out temporary to the OG NW and let it run for a few days.. see it you have the same probs with the NW as with the PF4 ...

YzGyz

2nd best way is to learn from ones own mistakes but the best way to learn is from others...

thx to Randy and so many other for making reefing that much easier
Old 10/20/2007, 11:16 AM
Premium Member

medic..thanks for the reply. Could you explain a little more how to do this, or is it in this post somewhere?
Old 10/20/2007, 08:01 PM
Premium Member

I know the theory, but someone else needs to pipe in here and describe how to convert your skimmer into a recirc. I have never done it and definitely do not feel close to being qualified to explain how to do it.
Old 10/20/2007, 08:45 PM
I buy in bulk!

Recirc mod

Old 10/20/2007, 09:10 PM
Premium Member

thanks guys
Old 10/20/2007, 09:29 PM
One Good Friend

There honestly isn't much to it.....get two hole saw bits, one for the input and output and one for the feeder pump. Get three uniseal's, drill, pop in uniseal's, place pump on......your done. It sounds much more complicated than it really is. Its honestly a very easy mod. The one thing you need to do is make sure your pump is going to fit perfectly and when you drill don't stop with the hose saw bit in it....it will melt, then u will really feel nervous and sweat as you could crack your skimmer. Just make sure you push a bit and drill all the way through. Make sure you sand down your holes smoothly as well. Good luck!
Old 10/21/2007, 01:09 PM
Frag-a-holic

<- Skimmer, still not skimming after opening up the air hole to 1/8".