Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/26/2007, 08:09 PM
Premium Member

Proclear skimmer mods??

I own a Proclear 350
www.proclearaquatics.com

It works well as is. I read on other threads that upgrading the pump will yield better results of skimmate on other skimmers.
Is this true for this skimmer? Will a larger pump automatically suck more air through the venturi? I wanted opinions before i tear this apart.

The stock pump is rated for 581 gph. I have a Mag7 (700gph) sitting here, begging me to use it.
Old 08/26/2007, 09:39 PM
Wife and dog.

Check this thread out. The guy sea devil used to own I store I shopped at and he has a great suggestions, here is the link.
http://thereeftank.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97944

Here is what was said "go to a larger ID tubing. If so, that's only 1/3 the fix. Here's what I did to mine. 1) take the fitting out & toss it in the trash along with the valve. 2) get a 1/8" drill bit, put it in the hole where you removed the fitting from, drill it out. 3) replace fitting with larger ID fitting with the same threads as the fitting you took out. 4) Install larger ID tubing. 5) replace valve with a "gate" valve or "needle" valve.

I've done this mod to both my Pro Clear 350 skimmers. 1 is on my 210 reef & the other is on my 225 F/O. The one on my reef in a weeks time collects about 2"-3" of very thick funk. It may take you a few days to fine tune it. My water level is about 1"- 1 1/2" below "water level line", the outflow tube is adjusted a little lower than before I made the mods. You'll just have to play with it until you get it to your liking. The way I have mine adjusted it produces very dry foam, maybe a little to dry. I take the collection cup off & clean it once a week sometimes every two weeks."

Always accepting frags!!
Old 08/27/2007, 05:20 PM
Premium Member

Thanks... This is what I was looking for.

Is this just an airline mod?
Summary as I read it. Pull out the venturi valve, drill a 1/8 hole in the existing hole, insert a larger ID venturi in its place. Use a gate or needle valve at the end of the airline for air flow control.

Last edited by Pmolan; 08/27/2007 at 05:31 PM.
Old 08/27/2007, 05:54 PM
Premium Member

Just attempted this...
I took out the airline fitting, looked inside and saw a hole. I enlarged it to 1/8". I have to tell you though, 1/8 is barely larger than the hole already there. I was able to push the drill bit in and just twist it to enlarge the hole. Does this seem right? Well, I guess Ill go to HD for the larger fitting and tubing.
Old 08/27/2007, 09:20 PM
Registered Member

After reading this, I have to ask what the difference is in the diameter of the stock tubing is compared to the 1/4" RO tubing? I have a Proclear 250 I am considering doing this too, but the air tubing size does not seem that much differnet. And do you have to replace the old venturi with a new one, or just put in a valve to control the flow?
Old 08/28/2007, 03:13 PM
Premium Member

I just did the complete mod last night. I agree, the 1/4 tubing is very similar, however, the barb connecters on the air valve and the venturi connecter seems to be where the bottleneck is. I would guess that the inside diameter of those connections are 1/8 or less. I bought at HD, one 1/4 thread one one end, and 3/8 quick release (I think) on the other. The quick release fittings grasp the tube from the outside, the barb connections grasp from the inside. I also bored out the new 1/4 side of the connection with a drill bit for more air flow. For the air valve, I bought a 3/8 shut off valve. Seems to be working so far.

I woke up this morning to a full 5 gallon jug of skimmate, about coffee color.
Old 08/28/2007, 07:19 PM
Brevard Area Reef Society

here is mine, did the gutter guard and gate valve, works great!

Old 08/28/2007, 07:21 PM
Premium Member

Do you have a link to the mods? I am very interested.
Old 08/28/2007, 07:52 PM

well I did them all so just ask me and I shall tell
Old 08/28/2007, 07:57 PM
Premium Member

1) what is the purpose of the gate valve. I never owned one with it before.
2) Is the mesh added to your impeller? I couldn't imagine just the mesh pushing the water. Is this to create more microbubbles?
Old 08/28/2007, 08:07 PM
One Good Friend

Shave the impeller down and add a few layers of mesh and put the venturi in front of the volute cover, then patch up the original venturi. This will pull alot more air and be your best mod.
Old 08/28/2007, 08:18 PM

1) it is so you can have a fine tune adjustment to the water height in the skimmer, just makes it more convenient

2) I used the plastic gutter guard, but there is a mesh out there that is even better. But it chops up the bubbles into a finer mist.

I will just start from the beginning on what I have done......

The impeller was cut in half to get more GG zip tied to it and I drilled a hole to fit some RO water tubing inside the front of the pump for a new venturi so the pump now sucks air in from the intake of the pump.

Next since you have now made a needle wheel pump, you need to drill out the regular venturi, I just ran a large drill bit threw it and plugged up the air line hole.

the other PVC pipe you see on the outside is just a air silencer, this thing sucks a lot of air and makes a awful sound.

besides that and the gate valve that's it really.

this is not the rio pump, but this is how the venturi should look, as close as possible with a cut facing the pump

side view of the impeller

just another pic

Old 08/28/2007, 08:21 PM
Premium Member

Thanks for the advice.. Ill post when I do it.
Old 08/28/2007, 08:31 PM

good luck and just ask if you need any help